snow tire check in thread

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is that time of the year yet?
Funny....So last march I bought my wife a CPO 2018 3.6R outback and we traded in her 2009 outback. I kept the 17in wheels from the old outback.....newer outbacks cant use 16in wheels bc of the brakes....However, I didn't check at the time the bolt pattern....Newer outbacks switched from 5x100 to 5x114....So now I need new wheels and new tires, fabulous. Anyone have any 17in 5x114s they want to get rid of?

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Funny....So last march I bought my wife a CPO 2018 3.6R outback and we traded in her 2009 outback. I kept the 17in wheels from the old outback.....newer outbacks cant use 16in wheels bc of the brakes....However, I didn't check at the time the bolt pattern....Newer outbacks switched from 5x100 to 5x114....So now I need new wheels and new tires, fabulous. Anyone have any 17in 5x114s they want to get rid of?

Come on man, just go full out with the Methods and K02s.

Tire.jpg

Cassinonorth

Put mine on last weekend. Rocking the steelies because I don't care that much to go source hub caps for these $25 wheels. Used to have Mavis flip them over for ~$80 every few months but decided that was annoying and a waste of money.

Mavis fucked up one of the sensors installing these though so it's been on all week, very annoying.

PXL_20211126_173259361.jpg

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Changed over last Saturday, and it started to flurry just as I was finishing.
I love it when a plan comes together....
7179B365-7947-4430-99AB-B512B832A496.jpeg
PR’ed the change over without even trying- slightly different order of ops went seamlessly.

And changeover was due.
My 6 y/o summers still have decent tread, but gave up the properties of rubber a season or two ago.
Driving in the rain felt like rolling a Hotwheels on linoleum.

serviceguy

Changed over last Saturday, and it started to flurry just as I was finishing.
I love it when a plan comes together....
View attachment 172172
PR’ed the change over without even trying- slightly different order of ops went seamlessly.

And changeover was due.
My 6 y/o summers still have decent tread, but gave up the properties of rubber a season or two ago.
Driving in the rain felt like rolling a Hotwheels on linoleum.
Ah ah, so it was you that made it snow! A little advance notice next time would be appreciated...I went out and snapped a muscle in my back picking up dead leaves, still hurting (because I need to know it's cold, I just don't feel cold but my body knows).

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
2 sets of these for the kids cars. 20211203_094928.jpg
Wife's car was done last week as her rims were corroded and leaking air. I put her snows in early. I will try and not buy any this season. Hopefully all season with 4WD will suffice.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hopefully all season with 4WD will suffice.

How long have you lived in NJ? You need snow tires like 3 days a year here. They clean up the roads so damn fast. All season are fine for cold pavement while snows are meant to be driven on snow. You'll be just fine. I do all seasons on my wife's car (even when she had rwd) and she's hasn't gotten stuck since wev been together(i do make sure they have enough tread depth before winter of course). My 4x4 truck gets all terrains and I haven't had an issue there either

Cassinonorth

They clean up the roads so damn fast.

Unless they don't.

I put my tires on like 2 days before this "just in case". I remember happily riding by piles of cars in ditches and shoulders in my 10 mile commute. Usually takes 20 minutes...took an hour and a half that day which was lucky. The rest of the winter the roads were brined if there was a threat of flurries though lol they learned a very hard lesson that day.

rick81721

Lothar
How long have you lived in NJ? You need snow tires like 3 days a year here. They clean up the roads so damn fast. All season are fine for cold pavement while snows are meant to be driven on snow. You'll be just fine. I do all seasons on my wife's car (even when she had rwd) and she's hasn't gotten stuck since wev been together(i do make sure they have enough tread depth before winter of course). My 4x4 truck gets all terrains and I haven't had an issue there either

Exactly. Back in the early 1980s I drove my rear wheel drive Mustang II through multiple big snowstorms without snow tires. It's about knowing how to drive in snow

clint-eastwood-no.gif

Cassinonorth

I throw mine on because I drive to Quebec and Vermont to snowboard. Some of those roads are so narrow and terrifying dry, driving through them in snow is scary even with winter tires. I didn't ride last year and didn't bother changing my all seasons.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Unless they don't.

I put my tires on like 2 days before this "just in case". I remember happily riding by piles of cars in ditches and shoulders in my 10 mile commute. Usually takes 20 minutes...took an hour and a half that day which was lucky. The rest of the winter the roads were brined if there was a threat of flurries though lol they learned a very hard lesson that day.

I drive home 60 miles in that storm. It did almost double my commute time bit I didn't need any 4wd or anything. That storm is still an outlier for this area and I would stress about snow tires and the extra expense associated with them.

I throw mine on because I drive to Quebec and Vermont to snowboard. Some of those roads are so narrow and terrifying dry, driving through them in snow is scary even with winter tires. I didn't ride last year and didn't bother changing my all seasons.

Now this is a good reason with the increased frequency and volume of snowfall up there you end up driving on hardback in the far enough north areas.

Cassinonorth

I drive home 60 miles in that storm. It did almost double my commute time bit I didn't need any 4wd or anything. That storm is still an outlier for this area and I would stress about snow tires and the extra expense associated with them.

Now this is a good reason with the increased frequency and volume of snowfall up there you end up driving on hardback in the far enough north areas.

My logic is this; you're going to wear down your all season/summer tires in X amount of miles. Changing into winter tires saves 4 months of miles. You're going to end up spending the same amount on tires either way, why not get the right tires for the job?

My 2019 Subaru is at 50,000 miles...I have at least another summer season on my all seasons it came with, probably 2 more. Car will be at 75k miles and I'll be replacing tires for the first time.

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My logic is this; you're going to wear down your all season/summer tires in X amount of miles. Changing into winter tires saves 4 months of miles. You're going to end up spending the same amount on tires either way, why not get the right tires for the job?

My 2019 Subaru is at 50,000 miles...I have at least another summer season on my all seasons it came with, probably 2 more. Car will be at 75k miles and I'll be replacing tires for the first time.

It's your money so do as you please. But storing an extra set of tires is an issue for many amd in most cases you will have nought extra rims on top of it so more cost there. So why add the hassel if you don't need to?

I get 75k miles out of my dd tires without swapping them..... you will be buying your 2nd set. My point here isn't that you should or shouldn't buy snow tires, its that you live in NJ and therefore do not NEED them.

Cassinonorth

It's your money so do as you please. But storing an extra set of tires is an issue for many amd in most cases you will have nought extra rims on top of it so more cost there. So why add the hassel if you don't need to?

I get 75k miles out of my dd tires without swapping them..... you will be buying your 2nd set. My point here isn't that you should or shouldn't buy snow tires, its that you live in NJ and therefore do not NEED them.

I mean if you live in a 1BR apartment with no extra storage don't do it.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying....It's the same amount of money (besides the extra rims) to run 2 sets of wheels. You're wearing down tires at a slower rate by not using your all seasons year round. I change the rims over in my driveway in 20 minutes. The extra safety is well worth the additional $100 for steel rims. I will get more life from my tires by not using them all 12 months, that's just fact.

All seasons would last ~48 months (50k, round numbers for ease here). I use them 8 months a year. By swapping them I get 6 years from them instead of 4.

My winter tires will probably go bad rubber wise at the 10 year mark before they're worn down (4 months, ~6,000 miles per year). I paid $500 total for the winter tires and rims. $50/year for extra traction and safety seems like a pretty easy decision to me. Maybe unnecessary, but my life isn't worth risking driving into a ditch because it only snows a handful of times a year. They're much better on ice too.

Last edited:

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Exactly. Back in the early 1980s I drove my rear wheel drive Mustang II through multiple big snowstorms without snow tires. It's about knowing how to drive in snow

View attachment 172178
so i used to have a set of blizzaks for my 93 5.0 LX....if you ever tried real winter tires on snow, you would never drive in the snow without them again. WINTER tires, not those shitty things they called snow tires back in the 50s when you got your DL. Just like you would never put goodyear advantage t/a on your gt350 after experiencing cup2s

for your 4wd pick up, ya im not sure I would be so concerned...for my FWD hatchback..winter tires make a world of difference. Plus, either myself or my wife are out driving in the worst snowstorms every year....she worked every single time it snowed last year....or I would take her subaru to the ski hill after dropping her off at work....either way, I used the hell out of my winter tires last year. You have seen my driveway...its nice when its dumping snow, she gets home and midnight and im not worried she will make it up the driveway with 12in of snow on it.

Top Bottom