snow tire check in thread

Yeah, snow tires paid off today on my way home in 206. Some clown in a CRV going too fast almost swerved into me.

Driver in a hyundai rear ended me last night... In nearly dead stop traffic... On an uphill no less...mind blown.. I would have figured they were on their phone... But I heard the tires spinning/engine revving just prior... So the car was slipping a bit, they floor it, then can't stop... I just so happened to have my bike on the car.. Unfortunately the bike stand portion of my kuat went thru her grill and punctured her radiator. No damage to my car, so we just went on our way.

I remember when I used to love driving in the snow, now I feel like I'm in a GTA simulation.

Driver in a hyundai rear ended me last night... In nearly dead stop traffic... On an uphill no less...mind blown.. I would have figured they were on their phone... But I heard the tires spinning/engine revving just prior... So the car was slipping a bit, they floor it, then can't stop... I just so happened to have my bike on the car.. Unfortunately the bike stand portion of my kuat went thru her grill and punctured her radiator. No damage to my car, so we just went on our way.

I remember when I used to love driving in the snow, now I feel like I'm in a GTA simulation.
No damage to the Kuat? Impressive

Not a scratch

Trailer hitches come in handy when getting rear-ended. A few years ago I got nailed driving to work - had to stop for a school bus picking up kids and some clown runs into me. Claimed to the cop (without any success) that snow glare prevented him from seeing my big ass black Durango or the flashing lights of the even bigger ass school bus in front of me. Only had minor bumper damage to my vehicle (although my beloved Philadelphia Eagles trailer hitch emblem that my son got me for Christmas got trashed), his minivan had to get towed.

Are these after market brake lights legal. It blinks when the brakes are applied. Was behind this guy on i78 for a bit, wanted to ram him just to take out the lights. And the guy was a constant brake checker
MVIMG_20171215_164037.jpg

Are these after market brake lights legal. It blinks when the brakes are applied. Was behind this guy on i78 for a bit, wanted to ram him just to take out the lights. And the guy was a constant brake checker
View attachment 60641

USDOT regulations allow it and I don't know of anything in the NJ motor vehicle code that prohibits it expressly. Flashing red and amber to the rear are okay. Think about it...if that were illegal so would the blinky light on your road bike. The better models flash five times then go to steady burn and won't flash again for for another 20 seconds or something. The cheap models make you have a seizure.

View attachment 60641
It’s JDM yo! Some Euro and Jap cars have rear fog lights factory.

How bad is it to use the same wheels and remount the all-seasons after the winter?

Tire Rack is out of the steel wheels at the moment. Won't be in until Friday, and we're heading up to Rochester this weekend. Nothing like deciding at the last minute.
2016 Outback. Car has 225-60/18s now. I could save some $ and go with the 225/65-17 and get tire/wheel Altimax Arctic 12 for a little over $900. If I go with remounting, I can get either Blizzaks or Firestone Winterforce 2 now. No reviews yet on the Winterforce 2, but they are much cheaper.

How bad is it to use the same wheels and remount the all-seasons after the winter?

Tire Rack is out of the steel wheels at the moment. Won't be in until Friday, and we're heading up to Rochester this weekend. Nothing like deciding at the last minute.
2016 Outback. Car has 225-60/18s now. I could save some $ and go with the 225/65-17 and get tire/wheel Altimax Arctic 12 for a little over $900. If I go with remounting, I can get either Blizzaks or Firestone Winterforce 2 now. No reviews yet on the Winterforce 2, but they are much cheaper.
It's not bad, it just sucks paying somebody to swap them on and off twice a year. Otherwise, what Luke said is what most people want for winter wheels/tires. Narrow to cut through the snow for better steering instead of floating on top, and a tall sidewall for a better contact patch and pothole absorption. If the base Outback has 16's or 17's, you should be completely fine with a 17" assuming it is the same or similar offset wheel. I did the opposite and got myself some larger summer wheels and put snows on the stock 15's on my Soul.

I hated every General tire I've ever had and tend to have super soft sidewalls compared to other makes, even in the same speed rating. Blizzaks are a classic, my X-Ice 3 is good, Nokian Hakkapeliitta is God.

Go with the 17s for all the reasons above. I wouldn't buy summer General tires, but I had Altimax winters and they were very good. Not Michelin performance, not Blizzak snow performance, but somewhere in between. On an Outback they would be about perfect.

Speaking of snow tires - trying to sell a one season used set of 4 from my son's old car on letgo - no takers. Anyone interested in a set of Michelin X-Ice Xi3 255/55 R18s? Pennies on the dollar!

Back
Top Bottom