Snapped Water Bottle Cage Bolt

bucknejo

Since this thread has taken a right turn. Have you decided what the plan to remove said broken bolt or is the broken bolt out?

hey, yes - I see there's been more action on this thread than I anticipated, but I've ordered that small Dremel 2mm grinding head to cut a slot. it's coming today so I'll probably take a couple practice runs on something I can find around the shop and if that goes well I'll try on the real thing.

if it doesn't go well I'll probably try to chisel in a slot with a flathead screwdriver.

and if that doesn't go well, maybe I'll try to drill a small hole in the head with another Dremel bit, then easy out / left hand bit it out.

and if that doesn't work, TNT or flamethrower + new bike

JDurk

hey, yes - I see there's been more action on this thread than I anticipated, but I've ordered that small Dremel 2mm grinding head to cut a slot. it's coming today so I'll probably take a couple practice runs on something I can find around the shop and if that goes well I'll try on the real thing.

if it doesn't go well I'll probably try to chisel in a slot with a flathead screwdriver.

and if that doesn't go well, maybe I'll try to drill a small hole in the head with another Dremel bit, then easy out / left hand bit it out.

and if that doesn't work, TNT or flamethrower + new bike
Hoping things go as planned, but explosives or flamethrower would be awesome.

bucknejo

After a few amateur attempts I've predictably managed to make things worse. The 2mm slotting attempt only ended up rounding a gap that was unusable and a drilling attempt for an easy out appeared to be promising, but the drill bit snapped inside the bolt which of course is what is supposed to happen. Chiseling a slot on top of the preceding mess went worse. I suppose it is that bolts' destiny to ruin whatever DIY mechanic dreams I might have had. But fine, so be it. I'll think of another way. And maybe that way is really some TNT or a flamethrower at some point, but not today. So unfortunately, sorry folks, you'll just have to be satisfied by being as disappointed as I am.

In all sincerity, I do appreciate all the feedback! Some things however, are probably better left for the actual professionals.

serviceguy

After a few amateur attempts I've predictably managed to make things worse. The 2mm slotting attempt only ended up rounding a gap that was unusable and a drilling attempt for an easy out appeared to be promising, but the drill bit snapped inside the bolt which of course is what is supposed to happen. Chiseling a slot on top of the preceding mess went worse. I suppose it is that bolts' destiny to ruin whatever DIY mechanic dreams I might have had. But fine, so be it. I'll think of another way. And maybe that way is really some TNT or a flamethrower at some point, but not today. So unfortunately, sorry folks, you'll just have to be satisfied by being as disappointed as I am.

In all sincerity, I do appreciate all the feedback! Some things however, are probably better left for the actual professionals.
Can you share a picture? So the bolt did not turn at all while drilling it for the easy out? Does the broken drill bit sticks out at all? I feel your pain, weird that an alloy bolt could cause all this trouble!

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
A2DAA039-A70A-4A5C-B458-35692BE8F385.jpeg

bucknejo

in the spirit of the modern day inconclusive story ending: here's a ghetto wolftooth b-rad-ical solution

tempImageiAWsiB.jpg

on the bright side, the bosses are now about a half inch lower on the down tube giving more clearance from the shock.

maybe I'll find someone who can replace the whole rivnut at some point, but for now this will have to work. thanks again to all for feedback - instructive, amusing or otherwise!

serviceguy

in the spirit of the modern day inconclusive story ending: here's a ghetto wolftooth b-rad-ical solution

View attachment 156065

on the bright side, the bosses are now about a half inch lower on the down tube giving more clearance from the shock.

maybe I'll find someone who can replace the whole rivnut at some point, but for now this will have to work. thanks again to all for feedback - instructive, amusing or otherwise!
Oh boy, I think I may have to pay you a visit and get that bolt out now just to shut up the voices in my head!

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

View attachment 156065

I have a rivnut kit if you want to do it, you can come over here

Karate Monkey

Jfc @bucknejo that's painful. If it's damaged beyond repair, I'll replace it. I live in Colts Neck. I'd offer to meet you somewhere, but my loaner rack sucks for pretty much anything but level-top-tube bikes.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod

View attachment 156065

guy, you're killing me! post a picture of how badly you mauled the thing or I'm going to go ahead and snap a bolt in my bike frame to prove a point. The bolt is made of marshmallow I could get it out with a butter knife.

Top Bottom