Smt 100???

anrothar

entirely thrilled
""Locals" Schalk, Haywood win Virginia finale

Eatough & Lowrey collect series titles

By Sue George in Harrisonburg, Virginia

Beautiful weather, perfect course conditions, and a talented field at the Shenandoah Mountain 100 in Virginia set the stage for course records to be broken in both the men's and the women's races. Jeff Schalk (Trek / VW) surprised many at the race with a solo win in 7:06:13, but Sue Haywood (Trek / VW) seemed to surprise no one but herself with a stellar ride that broke her old course record by a whopping 27 minutes. Haywood finished in 8:12:36.

"Where's Chris? Where's Floyd?" were the two most commonly asked questions as part-time Harrisonburg resident Schalk rolled through aid stations three, four, five and six solo, with no chasers in site. Schalk, won the BC Bike racer earlier this summer with his partner and Trek / VW team-mate Chris Eatough, but Schalk took this win on his own after Eatough suffered a catastrophic mechanical when his rear axle failed early in the race, on only the second climb. Eatough then withdrew from the race, but kept the series title he'd secured after the Endurance 100 last weekend.

In fact, Landis (Smith & Nephew) was never far behind the Schalk until the end, and at times, he rode with him and challenger Harlan Price (Independent Fabrication). Schalk gapped Landis and Price thanks to a speedy transition through aid station two, and he remained solo off the front for the remaining 70 miles of the race.

"I wanted to pull a Landis on Landis," smiled Schalk, referring to Landis' legendary solo, lengthy, and ultimately race-winning break-away in Stage 17 of the 2006 Tour de France.

Landis and Price see-sawed the rest of the race, with Price leaving behind Landis on all the mostly-singletrack downhills and Landis catching and passing Price on lengthy flats or climbs. In the end, Price would leave Landis behind on the final singletrack descent and take second in the race and the series with a little over a minute's gap.

Chris Beck (Joe's Bicycle Shop) finished fourth for the second consecutive year with Gerry Pflug (Freddie FU/Kona/Speedgoat Bikes) behind him in fifth.

On the other hand, local favorite and full-time Harrisonburg resident Haywood assumed the lead in the women's race almost from the start, and she never looked back on her way to winning. Carolyn Popovic (Trek / VW) took second, but the real battle was behind them for the series title.

Carrie Lowrey (Outdoor Store) placed third, but by finishing two spots ahead of Daniele Musto (Slingshot), she assumed the final lead in the series, jumping ahead of Musto, who was technically tied. Lowrey's win in the Shenandoah was the tiebreaker. Tanya Nestvogel (Prestige Subaru / Titus) finished fourth.

Full report and photos coming!

Results

Men
1 Jeff Schalk (Trek / VW) 7.06.13*
2 Harlan Price (Independent Fabrication) 17.22
3 Floyd Landis (Smith & Nephew) 18.42
4 Chris Beck (Joe's Bicycle Shop) 37.06
5 Gerry Pflug (Freddie FU/Kona/Speedgoat Bikes) 43.11
DNF Chris Eatough (Trek / VW)

Women
1 Sue Haywood (Trek / VW) 8.12.36*
2 Carolyn Popovic (Trek / VW) 49.06
3 Carrie Lowrey (Outdoor Store) 1.02.32
4 Tanya Nestvogel (Prestige Subaru / Titus) 1.28.14
5 Daniele Musto (Slingshot) 1.36.25
DNF Trish Stevenson (Pro Bikes)"

but what about our guys/gals?

ArmyOfNone

I see that floyd finished. Wasnt someone supposed to take care of him? Congrats to all those who dun made it.

ryderX

I was ready to rock it with Floyd, but I crashed real hard at mile 5 and proceeded to rip nearly every square inch of flesh from the right side of my body, from ankle to shoulder blade and also managed to dislocate my thumb on my left hand. Obviously not a very promising start for a 100 mile race. I was bleeding like a stuck pig, my shorts were ripped and my exposed ass cheek was looking like a cheap piece of tender loin, but I stuck with it. At the 2nd aid station I had the first aid folks tape up my hand into the classic and all purpose GI Joe action grip, so at least I could keep my hand on the handlebar, though shifting with my left hand was definitely out of the question. They also washed out some of the gravel form my elbow and shoulder and jacked me up on Motrin. As if a hundred miler isn't hard enough ! I couldn't decide what was worse, the branches and tree limbs on the single track sections whacking and jabbing my wounds or looking down and seeing multitudes of flies, gnats and other bugs crawling in, over and all around my exposed flesh. "Oh boy we're having fun now."
I managed to finish, and was pleasantly surprised with my time. My wife and son were waiting at the finish line for me and my wife had that look of pity / no pity, concern / not concerned, "I don't want to hear any whining from you tonight" on her face and Vaughn just wanted daddy to give him a shoulder ride up the giant 200 yard long hill to the swing set.

Last edited:

ryderX

Pretty cooked. My left thumb is useless, and now the pain has shifted from road rash burning and stinging to deep muscle pain. I spent the day at my inlaws for their annual labor day parade and picnic. Motrin, Heiniken, and napping was a perfect end to a rough weekend.

walter

Fourth Party
Vaughn just wanted daddy to give him a shoulder ride up the giant 200 yard long hill to the swing set.

Sometimes, no matter how shitty you are feeling, this is the best feeling in the world.

Congrats on a great ride, hope you feel better soon.

ryderX

It was the truly the highlight of the day to have Vaughn and Karin waiting at the finish line.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
awesome job toughing it out Kris. they should have given you a reward just for that! any pics of the carnage? not that i want to your exposed, cheap piece of tenderloin or anything.....:cool:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Jeez man you're an animal. That's a crazy story. I'd like to see a pic of the GI Joe grip. Good to hear you made it to the end.

D

dzm3

Not impressive.

Wow, that's some story! Way to stick it out and really get it done in "style"!!!
I, personally, don't have any heroic stories to tell, and my time was far from impressive. But I acomplished my goals, finished the whole thing, and finished it in less than 2X the time of the winner and Floyd! :D

I was really impressed with the organization of the race and the quality of the service provided by the volunteers at the aid stations!!!
It, truly, was a better catering than some 5 star establishments! Camelbaks and bottles were taken away with a question what we would like in them and returned filled according to the requests. The drop bags were hand delivered as soon as we stopped, etc. etc. etc.!

dz

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
I was ready to rock it with Floyd, but I crashed real hard at mile 5 and proceeded to rip nearly every square inch of flesh from the right side of my body, from ankle to shoulder blade and also managed to dislocate my thumb on my left hand. Obviously not a very promising start for a 100 mile race. I was bleeding like a stuck pig, my shorts were ripped and my exposed ass cheek was looking like a cheap piece of tender loin, but I stuck with it. At the 2nd aid station I had the first aid folks tape up my hand into the classic and all purpose GI Joe action grip, so at least I could keep my hand on the handlebar, though shifting with my left hand was definitely out of the question. They also washed out some of the gravel form my elbow and shoulder and jacked me up on Motrin. As if a hundred miler isn't hard enough ! I couldn't decide what was worse, the branches and tree limbs on the single track sections whacking and jabbing my wounds or looking down and seeing multitudes of flies, gnats and other bugs crawling in, over and all around my exposed flesh. "Oh boy we're having fun now."
I managed to finish, and was pleasantly surprised with my time. My wife and son were waiting at the finish line for me and my wife had that look of pity / no pity, concern / not concerned, "I don't want to hear any whining from you tonight" on her face and Vaughn just wanted daddy to give him a shoulder ride up the giant 200 yard long hill to the swing set.

lordy mama... sounds nasty.

dang... the year you can trade it up with landis, you endo... see what happens when you road ride too much. ;)

what an awesome race that must have been with the top 3 dueling it out like that. i got goosebumps just reading the recap. i bet it was a real treat for Chris and Harlan to be fighting it out with Floyd like that. great to see floyd all recovered from hip replacement too.

ArmyOfNone

mtbphotos.php

I met this guy at Kittatiny. He is freakin awesome! I think he won the expert race that day on a sick SS setup.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Topher I think? Took 5th overall at the 50k on a full-rigid SS last year.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
mtbphotos.php

I met this guy at Kittatiny. He is freakin awesome! I think he won the expert race that day on a sick SS setup.
Topher is a good guy, for sure. And a beast on the bike.

When I'm within 15 minutes of him in a 2 hour SS race, I feel like I'm doing OK. Relativity, you know?

Top Bottom