smartphone case and mount?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Debating on a smartphone handlebar mount or getting a gps. Rokform seems like the way to go. What does everyone prefer? Id like to use offline maps. Currently i use runtastic mtb pro on my galaxy s5...in my pocket.

JoeLee

I have the Rokform case and use the Morsa Designs mount. It works fine for road but I would very much hesitate to use it for MTB. The phone would take a beating on your bars and I think a larger-style phone could lever off. Mine's a standard iPhone 6 and I had to add some friction paste to the mount to keep it from slipping from the phone weight acting as a lever because the "bracket' on the phone case is not centered.

I still love the Rokform case and use the little stick-on magnet mounts all over the place.

PS For MTB - what Jumpa said...

gtluke

The Moped
I got one of those dollar auto vent clip holders specifically for my phone off eBay . Then I 3d printed an adapter between the clip to a Garmin 800 mount.
It actually works awesome. I wouldn't ride ringwood with it but I do road ride and rail trail with it often.

RobW

I used to run a lifeproof case and mount with iPhone 4. Now I have a 6 and a garmin. Half the time I don't even ride with my phone anymore- Garmin ftw

Not to mention that if you fall or it falls off, the potential of riding over it, or smashing it on a rock becomes higher, then you are out a few hundred to replace phone.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
quadlock on the top tube of the roadie.
zippered pocket on the mtb - either in the pack or jersey

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have a cheap handlebar mount from Amazon. The mount is secured by a rubber strap with a twist lock, then the phone just slips into a plastic sleeve. Like other people mentioned, it's great for fire road rides or a place like Minnewaska carriage roads. On single track, I wouldn't trust any of them to not send your phone flying into Narnia. Throw it in a tough case in your pack in case you take a roll or get a Garmin.

bstrain74

I use a bike mount from Slip Grip
http://www.slipgripcarmounts.com/Sl...-Using-OtterBox-Defender-Case--_p_140637.html

They have a bunch of different bike mounts for all phones. You buy the mount specifically for the type of case you have on your phone. The link above is for a OtterBox Defender case which I have on my Galaxy S3. Works great and stays on the bike solid. Never fell off once (knocks on wood). Personally I like seeing where I am going. The apps I use all have the OpenCycle Maps.

Top Bottom