Small amplifier to put bewteen Dot & wired speakers?

one piece crank

Yeah, I know, what the... it's my garage tuneage system (insert air guitar here). I have an echo Dot that feeds an old stereo, which outputs to a pair of homemade bazooka tube speakers (6" car speakers mounted in PVC tubing). The "right" channel in the stereo is going (about 30% output of "left") so I'd like to get an inexpensive yet decent-sounding amp to feed the speakers.

Any Audio-nutters that can help me?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
fire and new BT speaker.
(i know, predictable)

got to be an almost free yamaha receiver on the fb marketplace.
I'll look in my pile, but i don't think i have an old receiver, just pre-amps and one that isn't going cheap.

something like

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is your pvc tubing same length? Same diameter? Any defects? I can’t really speak for the acoustical integrity of PVC... but I’d star their and work my way back.

one piece crank

Ok, while I’m not a soundguy, BITD they were decent 120W 3-way speakers, mounted in identical lengths of PVC tube (6” Sch.40 I believe). The back end has a 3/4” plywood (hardwood) disc epoxied in place, and a vent in the side. Speaker wire connection through the wood disc. This is not an audiophile build, it served me well in an ‘82 Datsun 210. Now I just need to put decent sound back in my garage - Winter is coming!

My whole music library can be streamed, plus Spotify and online stations. It’s simple to target the Garage Dot, I just need something to take the Dot output and send it the speakers.

Can I use something like this without burning my house down? I don’t have space for a full size receiver.

30B2072B-A655-41A9-8C37-9552C3D47F3C.jpeg

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’m all for the ghetto speaker tubes.... would need to know more about the speakers themselves to advise on an amp. For $25 bucks you can’t really lose lol. My thinking was to make sure it’s not poor wiring or something silly before replacing the amp. You’d be surprised what little things can effect signal flow... Check out monoprice.com also...great deals on amps and stuff....

one piece crank

I’m all for the ghetto speaker tubes.... would need to know more about the speakers themselves to advise on an amp. For $25 bucks you can’t really lose lol. My thinking was to make sure it’s not poor wiring or something silly before replacing the amp. You’d be surprised what little things can effect signal flow... Check out monoprice.com also...great deals on amps and stuff....
Yeah, and in cleaning out the garage just last week I tossed a small spool of speaker wire o_O

Speakers are old Pioneer 120W, 4ohm, 3-way (TS-1607, but spec's hard to find since it was replaced with letter suffix 2-ways).

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Get a tiny Class D amp. Something like a SMSL SA50. If it matters to you you can spend a few more bux on a SMSL SA100 which support streaming over bluetooth 5.0. These little amps put out cheap clean power.

w_b

LOL another good “oven fix” story.

Back in the day, Kawasaki would put four of the shittiest POS motor mounts under their 650cc Jetski power plants. Us shredders would, well, shred them. At $42 a pop x 4 for replacement Ps of S, the ghetto fix was JB Weld the rrrrrubbabiscuits back to the mounting plates. Needed to be oven cured to achieve full strength. Man, my X would make some buttons when I was cookin’ up a batch of motor mounts. Loved to piss her off, worked every time.

Top Bottom