Skyline Drive Shenandoah, not Ringwood

K

kramerski

It is a good place to ride.

I'm live in VA .

I've done it from the Afton end MP103 or so to Big Meadows and back. About 110 miles. It has a few long climbs, nothing super steep. Did it the first year with a 39/23, second year a 34/25 and a 34/27 and recently 39/27. I'm a skinny climber type guy so gauge accordingly.

Speed limit is 35 so cars aren't too bad. Pavement is decent. Watch after rains because some big rock debris can litter the road. Just don't go in the fall during peak leaf color season.

I think it costs $8 for a bike, secret get there before 7:30ish and it is "free".

You can do it in a day. Big Meadows is just about the middle and has a store with water, energy bars, etc.

The Blue Ridge Parkway continues Skyline Drive south of Afton and is just as nice. Speed limit on BRP is 45 though.

Glancing Aft

First off, welcome to the site! Secondly, thanks for the feedback. The traffic is my main concern, I've been down there before hiking and remembered the road being rather crowded. However if there's a 35 mph speed limit it doesn't sound too bad. Any idea how the roads down in the valley to the west are, say along 340? Looking to make a loop out of it, potentially a multi-day ride.

K

kramerski

First off, welcome to the site!

Thanks

Any idea how the roads down in the valley to the west are, say along 340? Looking to make a loop out of it, potentially a multi-day ride.

The roads to the west are a mixed bag, been on some not all. There is some "redneck" areas out that way that are to be avoided. Most of my saddle time out that way is following the wheels of the locals with the redneckfree road knowledge so I'm sorry I'm not much help there.

Glancing Aft

Thanks for the help! We found it to be some incredible riding. The roads really weren’t a problem in the least with traffic and each one of those views was so rewarding to come to. We only had one car with us and didn't end up bringing the proper gear for an overnighter so we did a shorter "there and back" route, rather than the entire drive.

IMG_3193.jpg

IMG_3205.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

K

kramerski

I'm glad youl had a good time.

Where did you start your ride? How far did you wind up going?

Don't think I've ever had a bad ride out there, except maybe the day it was 16 degrees but that is a story for another day......

Top Bottom