Skiing

ellbiddy

I figured I'd ask since I've cycled through all my friends who go a handful of times each season so that resource for skiing buddies is gone. I was going to head up to Camelback since it's close to be on the slopes at 8am before the crazies come out of the woodwork. If you feel like coming skiing/boarding feel free to tag along I spent most of the day tooling around on the blues and dabbling on the blacks (it's camelback after all) and it'd be nice to have some company

If there's a large contingency of folks that want to hit up Hunter or ...gasp.... Killington :p Would be cool to establish a trip (maybe next week for those longer drives)

C.Puncher

I ski man. I got my own gear! I'd like to go to some farther places. I usually ski Camelback and Blue. This weekend is no good for me but keep me in the loop.

Glancing Aft

I can't swing this weekend, but some other weekend I'm up for meeting up with people in the Poconos. I can't say I'm a fan, or even remotely like camelback, so if you don't mind driving an extra 20 min, Big Boulder Park is where it's at, :p
http://www.bigboulderpark.com/

ellbiddy

I'm not a fan of camelback in the sense of the slopes, it's just really close and really cheap which make me a happy camper. I'd hit wherever in the Poconos if it turned into a group adventure, but that boulder rock place seems like I'd be grinding rails more than I'd be skiing, maybe I'm wrong but that site is painful to navigate. If we start pushing west as far as Blue then I'd say Hunter might be a better bet. But yeah if we could iron something out that'd be cool.

ellbiddy

They've got:

$25 Lift Tickets
One Friday every month
Dec. 12, Jan. 9, Feb. 13,
March 13 & April 10

Assuming it doesn't get crazy packed those days might be worth it for the value :p

Glancing Aft

They've got:

$25 Lift Tickets
One Friday every month
March 13 & April 10

Assuming it doesn't get crazy packed those days might be worth it for the value :p

You'd actually surprised how crowded it does get on those days. It brings out a lot of the locals. My Dad goes up there at least once a week and he's told me some horror stories from those days. I was there once on a skier appreciation day on the weekend and we took 5 runs and left, the place was pacccccked...

There's also Platekill just up the road from there, who everyone knows about from Mountain Biking. If you know where to look, and there's good base, you can find some great tree skiing in there that rivals vermont stuff.

Glancing Aft

ive heard good things about plattekill on powder days...apparently they dont groom alot?

Nope, classic mtn skiing at it's finest. It's the MRG of NY...

While I'm blabbering, if there's good snow there's also high mount right next to Belleayre, although last time I was there I saw no trespassing signs... The shame!

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
They've got:

$25 Lift Tickets
One Friday every month
March 13 & April 10

Bellearye also has $20 lift tics the week of 1/26-1/30. Its mid-week and worth taking a day off work.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I miss skiing bumps. Only place I have ever been to around here with anything remotely resembling a bump run was at elk. I have not been to big boulder in years, they have any bump runs there? Elk is ok, but its pretty far

Glancing Aft

I had a friend who had a cabin right near Elk and spent some great days playing in the bumps there! Good little mountain, but far to do as a day trip.

Big Boulder is for the most part just a park now, so no bumps to be found. Some huge kickers late season if that's your thing.

ellbiddy

Lazlo (the owner) is from Somerset. He has a lot of relatives around here.
It's a great mountain on Powder days. I wouldn't want to be there on any other day.

Maybe it'd give me an excuse to buy some "west coast" skiis like the Mantra's hah. I just picked up a set of Salomon fury's to replace my old "original" xscreams which I still rock to most local places.

my friend's uncle owns plattekill. just sayin......

Get me some lift tickets ;)

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Im still rocking my Salomon 1080 Vincent Dorion edition's that look like they have Voltron painted on them.

Im so out of the latest skis. When I lived in utah I bought at least one new pair every year as the sales were insane out there during the summer. but that was back in the day when stainless volants were "new"

Whats considered a good mogul ski today?

Glancing Aft

Whats considered a good mogul ski today?

I could be wrong with this but I feel like the industry really isn't pushing mogul skis right now. The general trend in the market has been wider and wider pow skis over the last few years. Even for east coasters ski waist sizes have gone up to 85mm or so (I'm on a 93mm waist), while an ideal mogul ski has a waist of 75mm or lower. The big players (Head, K2, Salomon) still put out mogul skis for the competitive mogul skier crowd but there doesn't seem to be much marketing dollar behind them, and because of that there's no real stand out skis that are the mogul ski to buy right now.

Top Bottom