Skewers for HD Drop Out

Glancing Aft

Does anyone have any skewers that they would recommend for a horizontal dropout? I picked up a generic non quick release one from Campmor and it's just not doing the trick at all. No matter how tight I make it as soon as I start pedaling the axel slides all the way forward.

heythorp

People seem to like XT skewers for that application. I had zero problems using one on my SS

I should add that I did use chain tugs too

ytc100

Does anyone have any skewers that they would recommend for a horizontal dropout? I picked up a generic non quick release one from Campmor and it's just not doing the trick at all. No matter how tight I make it as soon as I start pedaling the axel slides all the way forward.

A steel skewer may work - lower end shimanos get the best review for this application.
By "non-quick release" do you mean the bolt on type? If that's not working I don't think a quick release will either.
Chain tugs may be the answer.

Maurice

Do you have a chain tensioner? What kind of frame is that, metal wise? If it's aluminum serrated skewers will chew into it. If it's steel old-style XTs or any cheap Shimano.

But really any skewer should do along with a chain tensioner.

Maurice

Glancing Aft

What I have on there right now is similar to this http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/14243-295_DELAR5-3-Parts-71-Skewers/Delta-Axlerodz-Skewers.htm
I have still yet to ride the bike other than in my yard.

The frame I have on there is aluminum and the only chain tensioner I have is designed for a bike with vertical dropouts http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/15164-075_RENRL6-3-Parts-664-Single-Speed-Parts/Rennen-Rollenlager-Single-Speed-Chain-Tensioner.htm. I put an old quick release skewer on last night and I'm going to try to take it out tonight, maybe I'll have a little more luck.

If so I'll probably get an XT or something of the sorts for it.

Maurice

Do you have one of those?

CH9999.jpg

Here

They go on horizontal dropouts and simply prevent the wheel from moving forward on the drive side. You shouldn't need one on the non-drive side.

Maurice

Glancing Aft

No I do not, I'll order one now, thanks for the help!

Hopefully one of these days I'll get an SS up an running, it's been like 4 months in the making now.

Top Bottom