Sizing for cyclocross

What would you guys recommend for someone who lands directly split between sizes small and medium. I'm shopping for used and trying to narrow my results a tad. Is it better to size down or up?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
down - you can make a small bike larger, but ya can't shrink a larger one......

on the other hand, some run small, some run large - i don't know which ones, just that some bikes i'm a large, some i'm a medium....

gl!

THATmanMANNY

Up ;)
Like patrick said...
Its like shoe brand sizes. Find the brand and size that fits. But if you are going by traditional parameters to each their own about sizing down or up.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The sizing down thing for cx looks to be holdover from when road bikes had taller seat tubes and top tubes. Nowadays folks are doing DK200 on the same bikes they race for cx. That's the high end. At the other end of the spectrum, I ride the same size bikes (Van Dessel CRBs) on the road, gravel stuff, monster cx and cx. Lower stack, lower top tube, medium bb drop, no worries.
You'll do 15 cx races a year, max. Get a bike that's still useful when spring comes.

xc62701

The sizing down thing for cx looks to be holdover from when road bikes had taller seat tubes and top tubes. Nowadays folks are doing DK200 on the same bikes they race for cx. That's the high end. At the other end of the spectrum, I ride the same size bikes (Van Dessel CRBs) on the road, gravel stuff, monster cx and cx. Lower stack, lower top tube, medium bb drop, no worries.
You'll do 15 cx races a year, max. Get a bike that's still useful when spring comes.
Yea I don’t buy the size down bs. I ride a 56cm road and a 56cm Cx. Buy a bike you can ride for all purposes.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
OP says between sizes of bikes - not they they want to ride a smaller cx bike than roadie....

Thanks guys. Yeah take the focus mares for instance. I literally straddle the line on their website in regards to height. (One leg ie half inch smaller from breaking it lol)

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Right, sorry. Realized that after I posted. There's only one thing to do-LBS. As long as you're comfortable, you're good.
If you're internet window shopping right now, focus on stack and reach. That'll tell you more than s/m/l
And keep the Swiss Army Bike model in the back of your head ;-)

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yup thats the best advice right there, go try them out, its the only way you will know. I sit between M and L i typically go with a medium, but i have a friend who prefers to go with the large, you need to figure out what you like, it doesnt matter what i like or what @Patrick likes, or anyone else when YOU are the one who has to ride the bike.

xc62701

OP says between sizes of bikes - not they they want to ride a smaller cx bike than roadie....
Stop being so particular… But you’re right. I am in between quite a few manufacture size as well and I always go bigger.

mbruno

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks guys. Yeah take the focus mares for instance. I literally straddle the line on their website in regards to height. (One leg ie half inch smaller from breaking it lol)

Dude, that's not the bike you want. You want THIS BIKE. Sooper nice. Someone, forget the dudes' name, won the MAC series on this bike 2x yrs ago in the pro category... That guys' about 5'6" - 5'7", and he'll definitely cut you a deal and include some extra goodies not pictured... Maybe some brake pads???

Speaking of brakes... This boy's got canti brakes, no need to bleed anything, except from your eyes as your rocketing out of every corner vying for wins...

Also, mad tire clearance for GRAVEL!!!!!

No but seriously, if you want a good deal on a cx bike with 8 year old technology, we can discuss. Happy hunting.

Thanks. Honestly it is helpful. Since I'm shopping used I'll just go with the best deal. Seems like it's not the end of the world as long as I get it fitted I'm sure I'll be happy.

RobW

Thanks. Honestly it is helpful. Since I'm shopping used I'll just go with the best deal. Seems like it's not the end of the world as long as I get it fitted I'm sure I'll be happy.
Did that for my FIRST cross bike.... Regret it now. It is now my zwift bike... my all around bike is steel- way better feel on the road and eats up gravel. Gotta find a bike that you can do it all on.

mbruno

Team MTBNJ Halter's

I'm serious, we can make a deal. I have way too many bikes and need to make room for an incoming child.

Van Dessel Aloominator 52 cm. Fork and frame clearance on that bike for 700c x 38mm.

I'm serious, we can make a deal. I have way too many bikes and need to make room for an incoming child.

Van Dessel Aloominator 52 cm. Fork and frame clearance on that bike for 700c x 38mm.
I'll consider it. I don't know much about the brand and I was pretty set on disc.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’d be willing to part ways with my felt fx65. It is a size 53 With disc brakes. 500 bucks and it’s yours
I'd be willing to let your part ways with your Felt FX65 if it means you get another cross bike, because cross is coming.

Top Bottom