Six mile

MTB Aussie

Six mile yesterday was pretty wet and muddy. The 27 side was very leafy and fairly good, the twisties were tacky and slick in spots, from there out to the fork between red and blue it was deep muck in places. The blue was very (and I mean very) leafy and hard to follow the trail (not knowing it that well myself). The rain today would have made it even muddier. I was not looking forward to cleaning the bike off after it brought so much mud back. Ended up not being an issue. :mad:

R

roadrocket

too muddy :(

Im a 6MR regular during the spring, summer, fall and winter. However, not in the wet... this only causes damage to the trails and your bike will require more maintanance... and more expensive repairs. believe me, I learned the hard way.
In the meantime I'm enjoying asphalt riding around 6MR/somerset/princeton/hunterdon area... and staying clean! beep beep :D

wait for the ground to freeze... that's when 6mr gets super fast.

dhsean

Yep, the last time I was there was a little soft and slow. Not your typical speed and flow 6 mile. It's Winter time to hit the road or someplace sandy. Hint hint. :D

X

xcrunner1991

So how long do you think it will be until it dries out. I've heard that it doesn't drain well.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
So how long do you think it will be until it dries out. I've heard that it doesn't drain well.

around june it will be dry again....

it is fast when the ground is frozen but they are some muddy spots that won't dry out until june, literally.

Wobbegong

So how long do you think it will be until it dries out..

Once the trees come back to life and start drinking water. Like Kev said, I could be until June, depending on the rain. Usually Late April/May.

This time of year, only ride it when frozen solid.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Thursday morning, even with how cold it was, 6-Mile was still a mudfest. We even bypassed the Blue trail all together by taking the Red trail out to the 27 side. We may have to wait a few more weeks until the ground really freezes up good?

-Jim.

BiknBen

Thursday morning, even with how cold it was, 6-Mile was still a mudfest.

In its current state, 6-mile would need multiple days of temps below freezing before it froze. I mean high temps below freezing.

At this point, it freezes only slightly over-night and then thaws during the day. That is why it continues to be muck.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
In its current state, 6-mile would need multiple days of temps below freezing before it froze. I mean high temps below freezing.

At this point, it freezes only slightly over-night and then thaws during the day. That is why it continues to be muck.

what do you think of sunday morning, dawn? in the teens tonight and cold tomorrow night, I would say the twisties firm up pretty quick with the canal side "crunchy", no?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
glenn hurricane schwartz of NBC10 in philly said suburbs 18. come-on, the dude has hurricane in his name.

disclaimer: if his middle name is hurricane, how the f does he know anything about temps below 60 :hmmm:

J-Dro

What if we all wish really hard. Do you think that will make 6MR dry up for tomorrow?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
oh thanks Norm, your nay saying comments prompted me to check weather.com and now I see some kind of precip. Tue - Fri. WTF!!!

This is what i get for one chainlove deal gone bad and to top that off I have 10 clif bars sitting in my cabinet just starring me down, saying, what you can eat me because you don't ride long enough to justify me. Thanks, Norm. Thanks.

btw, if it wasn't for this
I don't know about the rest of you, but it's been over a decade since I've had a teen;)

-Jim.
I would be throwing my computer out the window right now. :rofl: nice save jim.

BiknBen

what do you think of Sunday morning, dawn? in the teens tonight and cold tomorrow night,

I think Hurricane Schwartz is referring to areas north and West of Philly.

A body of water does not freeze overnight. You need prolonged cold to freeze the water. 6-Mile is similar. We need a couple days of 32F and under for the entire day. Then the top layer of soil will freeze. Once that occurs you are good to go until that warm day that causes a thaw.

The upper-most layer of soil may be frozen on Sunday morning but there will be mud underneath. Puddles may have a crust of ice on top only. Any flowing water will be nice and wet. ;)

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions