Six mile Hunting Season

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
:2guns:For those of you who have not ridden 6 mile through the fall before..

It is worth noting that Bow hunting does go on in this park.

Most of the guys are low key and harmless but like any group they might also have some bad apples.

Last fall i was told by a hunter that I wasn't allowed on the "hunting trails".. I found this pretty funny as he was standing on a trail I cut.

One night I ran into two guys who were very lost. I had my light going and i pretty much scared the life out of them. They said they were from Newark and that they wanted to know where the closest strip club was.

Anyway this is a rough time of year as user conflicts will be on the rise.

Be careful and keep your head on. It is pretty unlikely that someone would shoot at a moving biker with a bow and arrow but you never know.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2008/regsets08-09.pdf

Here are the posted legal hunting dates:

Fall Bow (42 days):
First deer must be antlerless: Sept. 13-Oct. 3, 2008
First deer may be antlered or antlerless: Oct. 4-31, 2008
Season bag limit is unlimited antlerless deer and ONE antlered deer.
Permit Bow (51 days): Nov. 1-Dec. 24, 26-31, 2008Season bag limit is unlimited antlerless deer. ONE antlered deer may be harvested if the Antlered
Buck Bow Permit is purchased.

Six-Mile Run Reservoir site, administered by D & R Canal State Park (Zone
14) :
Designated areas of the park are open to deer hunting during the Fall Bow, Permit Bow and Winter
Bow seasons. Deer Management Zone 14 regulations apply. The park is closed to deer hunting at all
other times. Call the Delaware-Raritan Canal State Park (609) 924-5705 for more information and a
detailed map before hunting in Six-Mile Run Reservoir site.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
what areas are they allowed in? I remember you posted this last year but not sure if it's the same . . .

kush

a deer almost killed me this morning on canal side ... came within inches. looked premeditated. i got his number though. we'll meet again. :getsome:

disclaimer: this message in no way consistutes any kind of predisposition to murdering or abusing innocent animals regardless of their intent to do you bodily harm.

Ian F

I'm not familiar with NJ hunting rules. In PA we get around this by scheduling rides on game lands (already a testy subject...) for Sunday (no hunting on Sunday in PA).

H

HooKoo-Ru

They hunt everywhere at 6 mile.

Yeah, late last season, I remember nodding to one of them perched up on a tree near the stream on the 27 side with full camouflage and face-paint. :D
He nodded back!

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
come to think of it, i ran into 3 kids with bows, about a month ago. i didnt think anything of it.

i should have ran them over.

The Kalmyk

I don't worry as much about being mistaken for a deer...I worry more about some lunatic who purposely aims at me because of some crazy life trajedy happened to him...If you think about it they can pull something like that off and have a good chance of getting away with it:(...That is "word is born":D

rlb

I imagine hauling down the trail and spooking a deer that some dude in a stand has been trying to get a shot on for 10 mins, and turning myself into a target that way

jdr999

Are the trails safe?

How are the trails now that it's hunting season? Is it safe out there?

I'm real tempted to get back on the trail but I don't really want to come back with arrows through my helmet looking like I just came from the F-Troop set! :p

I'd probably hit the trails during the week around 9am or so.. Will I make it back alive?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
How are the trails now that it's hunting season? Is it safe out there?

I'm real tempted to get back on the trail but I don't really want to come back with arrows through my helmet looking like I just came from the F-Troop set! :p

I'd probably hit the trails during the week around 9am or so.. Will I make it back alive?

Ride.

No sweat w/hunters this year at all.

They seem to get it.

J_

TommyCrash

You'll make it out alive. A good indicator of whose in the trails before you (at least from the Rt 27 side) is the amount of pickups and full size SUVs that have gun racks and stickers of Stags on the backglass. Wear your brightest "Don't Shoot Me Shirt" or rip off one of the flouresent Turnpike shirts from a relative. Wear one all year so you can be seen by all the other hikers, bikers, bird people and hunters. Being seen has no fashion. Unless you're on the road, then you wanna wear pavement colors. Because you're cool...and match. Wear Don't Shoot (Hit) Me Colors where applicable. Common sense colors.

Last edited:

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
You'll make it out alive. A good indicator of whose in the trails before you (at least from the Rt 27 side) is the amount of pickups and full size SUVs that have gun racks and stickers of Stags on the backglass. Wear your brightest "Don't Shoot Me Shirt" or rip off one of the flouresent Turnpike shirts from a relative. Wear one all year so you can be seen by all the other hikers, bikers, bird people and hunters. Being seen has no fashion. Unless you're on the road, then you wanna wear pavement colors. Because you're cool...and match. Wear Don't Shoot (Hit) Me Colors where applicable. Common sense colors.

That's cut and dry, well put. I would also like to add that the bow season hunters are as fanatical as we are. The chances of having something go wrong with one of them is slim to none.

It only takes one day in that tree to understand what animals make what sounds. A squierel sounds like a squirel, a deer sounds like a deer, and a MTB sound like a MTB, it's that simple. The amount of time it takes a hunter to draw the bow and turn to take the shot is much longer than one would think.

THATmanMANNY

On a ride last week we encountered a bow hunter at night. He looked pretty f-ing serious with all that gear. Nice guy, but he scared the living beejeezus out of us. We took a break after the skinny bridge and tough step ups right after the muddiest place of 6mile on the canal side and he caught up with us and asked us where we get them damn bright lights. We said bike shops. He said, "Oh really, I'll head to that bike shop by the home depot. I live right across from there." hehe

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions