Single Speed?

W

WeekendWarrior

So I have always dreamed of making my own single speed road bike. I moved out here and low a behold in the corner of my father-in-law's garage is an old road bike missing only a front wheel, otherwise in great shape. It has the necessary rear drop out with a slotted for chain tension.

My questions are:hmmm::
Is there a set-up to buy, can I do it myself with an average guy wrench experience?
What are good set-up's? How much?
What are the tricks and advice to do it yourselfer?
Thanks for any help!

anrothar

entirely thrilled
first:

find a gear that works for you up and down hills. it should be comfortable on the flats, but you should be able to spin it out on the flats with a little bit of effort. it should not give you a hernia riding up the hills.

then, remove the following:

outer chainring
front and rear derailluer
shifters, shifter cables
cassette if that's what it has

then:

rebuild the cassette so that the gear you want out back lines up perfectly with the remaining chainring up front. replace the other gears with spacers from the bike shop or pvc pipe.

then:

ride the bike.

ArmyOfNone

Sean would you suggest just a front brake or for someone new to the game to ride with both?

My fixie is in the process of being created and should be ready very shortly. I cant wait!

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Sean would you suggest just a front brake or for someone new to the game to ride with both?

My fixie is in the process of being created and should be ready very shortly. I cant wait!
I'm not Sean, but I'll jump in and say: Front brake on a fixie, front & rear if it's a freewheel.

ArmyOfNone

Not to derail the thread

but to keep the discussion going...should one be concerned about where one rides his fixed gear? This one has never ridden a fixie before.

After reading this i think the answer is pretty obvious...ride that bugger in the middle of the road!:getsome:

ChrisG

but to keep the discussion going...should one be concerned about where one rides his fixed gear? This one has never ridden a fixie before.
What size gear are you gonna start with? The only potential limiter is what you can push up/spin down hills. Downhill you can ride against the brake if the cadence starts getting out of hand, I need not comment on the issue with going up.

I run a 42x16, which is around a 70" gear and pretty much perfect for all-around use, including rolling terrain in the Monmouth County farmland. I can lug it up a 10% plus grade and also spin it at 30 mph+ in a group or downhill.

ArmyOfNone

The cranks that are on their way come w/ a 48 tooth chain ring. My guess would be to run an 18 with that. That also seems to be the standard on most of the production fixies too.:confused:

MTB Aussie

After reading this i think the answer is pretty obvious...ride that bugger in the middle of the road!:getsome:
Make sure you put on your lime green jersey first! :D

ChrisG

The cranks that are on their way come w/ a 48 tooth chain ring. My guess would be to run an 18 with that. That also seems to be the standard on most of the production fixies too.:confused:
Yep, 48x18 is the same in gear inches. A great starting point, if nothing else.

W

WeekendWarrior

Correct me if I am wrong here... Wouldn't you want a brake on it if you follow the original advice of removing the cassette rings and replacing you favorite size on the hub? My assumption is that the freewheel body of the hub is not being removed in the instructions which would require to keep a brake on the bike unless you like a crazy ride.:hmmm:

ArmyOfNone

Today was my first ride on my fixie. Sure was quite the experience. For the most part there is not to much different. But some turns and a few holes were interesting. Also dont try to sprint and sit back in the saddle w/o keeping your leg speed the same. That is also risky. But much fun!

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
i ride my fixie for exercise, i try to get out every day. i usually ride to brookdale park and do a bunch of laps, its good there because you have uphill and downhill both, and each lap is 1 mile

heres my ride, the first one

and yeah, i put the front brake on after about a month of riding, when i took a trip into NYC..it was getting TOO "exciting"

http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2008/june/4/adc6_njit.htm

Top Bottom