Single speed stumper

rosceaux

I thought I was going to be able to post in "What did you do for your bike today," but I'm perplexed.

Had the single speed well set up and running smoothly. However, I wanted to change from the Formula hubs to a wheel set I got with Stan's Neo for the better engagement. The whole process went well (or so I thought). Chainline looks good.The wheel spins well and I had it trued a month ago without putting it on. However, when I put it in the dropouts and lock the lever at normal pressure, it becomes unbearably difficult to crank the pedals. Even in reverse. I reset the chain tension, but that didn't do anything. When I lighten up the pressure on the QR (to "Holy Shit... the wheels gonna fall off" pressure), it turns and spins more freely. My guess is that I either have too many or too few spacers in there. Any advise?

When the wheel is really tight does the chain still have slack? If so, then it has to do with the hub.
Tightening the QR lever doesn't increase or decrease the slack in the chain. That's why I think there must be some issue with the spacers...

Tightening the QR lever doesn't increase or decrease the slack in the chain. That's why I think there must be some issue with the spacers...

sounds like too many spacers if tightening the qr makes it harder to spin the wheel.

Will get a pic shortly.

I removed one of the spacers, but when I tightened the nut it just left some space between it and then next spacer. Still hard to crank.No improvement on the problem. With the spacer in there, it just covers the hub body.

I have another wheel that I threw on. It's my second Formula hub. Re-spaced the dropouts to the same chain tension, cranked down on the QR lever at the "normal" pressure, and there was no problem at all. This is why I have extra wheel sets.

Did you try and change the skewer? Did you check if the tire rubs anywhere even slightly? Honestly it's most likely an issue with the hub, but skewer and rubbing are easy to check...what's wrong with the Salsa 2 (Formula) hubs? They work well and they're beautifully red anodized, the Stan's Neo don't have much of a reputation, even though I never tried was told to stay away.

End caps?
Have you used this wheelset in the frame before?
Is it proper spaced 142? 148?
I just went through this with an onyx hub and was sent the wrong driver.

End caps?
Have you used this wheelset in the frame before?
Is it proper spaced 142? 148?
I just went through this with an onyx hub and was sent the wrong driver.

I just started to think that it was this. Possibly an issue with end caps. I will have to borrow my friends calipers to get the most accurate measurements and go from there. I have not used it is this frame before, so some figgerin' and jiggerin' is probably in order.

Thanks all for the suggestions and advice.

#4 in this diagram.

Screenshot_20210201-122509_Drive.jpg

I just took this back to the LBS. that originally trued the tire and set it up SS for me. The real culprit was that the axle was reinstalled backwards! Quick enough fix, but I couldn’t figure it out.

thanks for the info here. I’m much smarter now than I was last week.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom