Single Speed Road Gearing

ytc100

I know it's not mountain biking related but....

I've been reading many people suggesting a starting point of around 70 gear inches which would equate to something like 46x18. Any thoughts?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
depends on how much hills you plan on doing. my road fixed gear bikes have never been that high. the highest gearing i currently run is on a road singlespeed at 44 x 18, which feels a little too high. when i messengered, i ran a 39 x 17 and loved it. it felt like the perfect gearing for me on the road.

heythorp

the langster in SS is set up at 48x16, its not the bad, i can ride most things around the Denville area on it, but not all the hills. I am running 48 x19 in on the fixed side and it is much more user friendly in this area, although I do spin out quite a bit on the flats with it. If I wanted to do the fayson lakes loop I could do it in either gear but its a work out to do so.

ytc100

What size cranks are on the langster again?

See attached for gear inches chart.

Last edited:

heythorp

167.5 if memory serves me correctly but i am a bit brain frozen,

Also gear inches will be the same no matter what crank length, i think its the gain that changes...

just got back from 30+ on the langster, went through faysen lakes today.
temp droped 9 degrees during the ride!!!! and dont even get me started about the wind... must warm up...

Last edited:

ytc100

heythorp said:
Also gear inches will be the same no matter what crank length, i think its the gain that changes...

You're right. When did you get so smart? :)

I missed you man. It's good to have you back.

Last edited:

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Yup, around a 70

ytc100 said:
I've been reading many people suggesting a starting point of around 70 gear inches which would equate to something like 46x18. Any thoughts?
42x16 on my fixie. A great all-around gear, though I'm not hitting any serious downhills. LOVE riding the fixed gear, btw.:D

Top Bottom