Single Speed Mountain Bike Gearing

Shaggz

A strong 7
Well, the SASS comes with a 32/16. Some of you know how I ride, so what do you reccomend I start with: 18 or 19? Is there a preferred cog manufacturer?

ytc100

Shaggz said:
Well, the SASS comes with a 32/16. Some of you know how I ride, so what do you reccomend I start with: 18 or 19? Is there a preferred cog manufacturer?

I'm gonna say at least 18 although 19 may be better for ya. I still have not cleared the needle climb at KVSP with the 32:18 but I can handle everything else. I've made it to the top of the Tourne with that gear also (ouch). And the patriots/lm loop has not been a problem either for comparisons sake.

Does that bike have a cassette style hub or bmx freewheel dealy? Heythorp?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
for a freewheel, shimano, acs and especially white industries are all decent. do not buy a dicta freewheel, no matter how tempting the low price is. surly cogs are great for cassette style.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
33 x 18

I keep trying combos but 33 x 18 seems to do it best for me.

I have wished for a 19 a few times on 3 hr+ rides but for most anything under 2 hours I can grind it out.

I use surly steel cogs with a wipperman 808 chain and it works.

j-

heythorp

I may not be understanding what is exactly going on here because I have been away, but Steve you do realized you only bought a frame?

32/19 is a better gear in my opinion.I have cleared the needle once with the 19 and the tourne once, have not made either again yet. The 19 was perfect at MD and really a great gear there, at least for me.

LM on the 19 is, for me, a cake walk. And i woud like the rest of my rides to be that way. So I have even been thinking of getting a 20 for the needle and the tourne

and i was eating dinner while typing this so i am exempt from any stupid remarks ;)

Shaggz

A strong 7
yep, frame only. kind a botched me post in the pause between sh!tty diapers and and bath time. i'll probably go the 32/19 route and make this my primary rig for the winter.

heythorp

well i have a surely 18 cog brand new in its packaging. if you wanted to go that route, it cost me 26 to my door.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
go with the 19T cog. after a few (50) miles, if you think it's too easy, bite on heythorps 18T bait and give it a try.

Top Bottom