single speed build up

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
OK,so I am thinking on playing with a single speed 26er.
i found a trek 830 large for 50.00 do you think this will work as a starting point for a build up?
this would be a rigid build to start just looking for ideas and remember that I am a cheap bastard...

xc62701

That's a perfect bike to start with. Just get a good tensioner($50-$60) and start the build. If you have an old rear wheel just remove the cassette and space out a single cog. 18 tooth should be fine. I just picked a Fisher Montare off the donation/garbage heap and built mine up as a 26'er rigid SS. The bike is a blast. It definitely helps refine those handling skills.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Is there a SS conversion for dummies website out there? Is it an easy process for someone with some general bike tools?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Is there a SS conversion for dummies website out there? Is it an easy process for someone with some general bike tools?

yes, you will need a cassette lockring tool and a chain whip so you can mess with the chainline. If you don't want to drop the cash for the chainwhip, you can sometimes hold the cassette/sproket with a leather glove, sometimes...

Mare

I just converted mine and have all the tools. Because I like to reinforce what I learned, if you want some help, I am offering. I don't know everything about it, but I can cover the basics.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
yes, you will need a cassette lockring tool and a chain whip so you can mess with the chainline. If you don't want to drop the cash for the chainwhip, you can sometimes hold the cassette/sproket with a leather glove, sometimes...

I bought some basic tool kit from Price Point and it has most of the more typical tools in it including a chain whip. So maybe i can do this. I need a new crankset. Is there a decent affordable SS solution?

That mtbr site looks perfect.

Mare

I bought some basic tool kit from Price Point and it has most of the more typical tools in it including a chain whip. So maybe i can do this. I need a new crankset. Is there a decent affordable SS solution?

That mtbr site looks perfect.

Again, see this link: http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7894

A bunch of mtbnj-ers answered my crank questions there. You can get SS specific ones, or you can get regular ones and sell off the chainrings on eBay to get some of your money back. Both will do the same thing. Consensus seemed to be Truvativs if you want affordable. I went with their Stylos.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Like that Truvatv Stylo, looks nice too. Looks like the whole conversion would run around $150. Not bad.

al415

Banned
I need a new crankset.

Hey if the original spec crankset is still intact you can just remove the inner and outer rings... I did this on my initial SS build-up. Popular wisdom is that five bolts are better than four for SS btw.

Mare

Hey if the original spec crankset is still intact you can just remove the inner and outer rings... I did this on my initial SS build-up. Popular wisdom is that five bolts are better than four for SS btw.

True. I only had to get new ones because I had a super old crankset that wouldn't allow me to take off the big chainring. If you can though, do as al415 says and save some money.

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
That's a perfect bike to start with. Just get a good tensioner($50-$60) and start the build. If you have an old rear wheel just remove the cassette and space out a single cog. 18 tooth should be fine. I just picked a Fisher Montare off the donation/garbage heap and built mine up as a 26'er rigid SS. The bike is a blast. It definitely helps refine those handling skills.

Hey, what are you calling garbage?

Here's me rocking my oldschool rigid. I went the real cheap method and converted the derailleur into a tensioner.

Attachments

• jh110208pete.jpg
    jh110208pete.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 158

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Thanks for all the hints..
the original trek was sold so I am back into on hold for the frame.
well that and my wife asking where am I going to put another bike :)

Top Bottom