single crown fork question?

Ibis97

Happy Now?
I'm building a SC Bullit to spend some time up at Diablo this coming season and I have this 150mm Sherman Firefly fork with a steel 1.25" steerer tube. Will this be okay/safe to use up there? or an I risking life and limb if I don't get a dual crown fork?

I know I've seen guys with single crown forks up there, but I figured it could not hurt to ask some questions before I find out the hard way.

Thanks!

Last edited:

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
That fork is marketed as an allMTN fork, so theoretically it should do the job. Now, we will need know - What is your ability, why a firefly, will you use the bullit for trail riding, ect. Please provide more information for a more rounded response. FFT

Ibis97

Happy Now?
It's more for me to get into the DH/FR scene.

I've always been an avid XC rider while dabbling in the DH back in the day.
I'm looking to build a cheapish bike to ride up at Diablo until I can decide if I'm going to go FullON with a DH rig.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
It's an OK place to start. I ride a 180mm singlecrown and have a few friends who rock 160mm Fox 36's. The 150mm Firefly is a bit undergunned, but it'll work and it's a tough fork. Most who ride singlecrowns at Diablo go for 180mm singles.

I rode a 170mm Sherman Breakout+ for two years before it stopped working. Ride the Firefly into the ground then replace it with something longer and better when you can afford it or when you find yourself wanting more travel to push your riding further...

Ibis97

Happy Now?
That's exactly what I plan on doing. I realize a 170 would be more ideal but I just need something I can beat on for the season, and if I need to take it to the next level I'll have to upgrade the fork. I figure with a steel steerer tube it's got to be able to handle some abuse. I think it will work out alright.

very much looking forward to riding up at Diablo this season. Hope to see some of you there.

Tom

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
My first real FR bike was an 02 Bullit w/ a Marz Bomber, 5-6" travel. I was fine for the first season, then the disease set in.

Ibis97

Happy Now?
My first real FR bike was an 02 Bullit w/ a Marz Bomber, 5-6" travel. I was fine for the first season, then the disease set in.

HA yeah I know all about it. I was dabbling in the DH scene back in the late 90's. I raced up at Mt. Snow in the citizens class DH race and took 10th out of 60+ riders, So I was pretty psyched over that. But then since Snow was 3+ hrs drive from Northern NJ and no closer places were available I never followed through to do much more dedicated DH racing. I think the only other place in the area was Hunter MTN. and I believe they shut down the MTB scene around that time.

So been reading alot about DHing these days. DECLINE MAG mostly. I see Shaun Palmer is making a comeback! HE was always fun to watch BITD. AH fun fun. Well will see what I make of this FRANINBIKE I'm piecing together.

Next I need to get some Brakes and cranks. Anyone have some extra parts they are looking to unload? :D

NJMX835

I have 2 sets of DH cranks I'd be willing to sell & have two 83mm BB's also.

The first set are brand new Raceface Evolve DH with a new Raceface 83mm BB & the others are Raceface Diabolous with 2 seasons on them, but no real damage just a little scratched up.

I have a brand new Raceface double chainring that will fit either of those cranks too & if you want to go that route, I have a brand new Shimano Saint front derraileur also.

Oh, I also have a brand new Hayes 9 brake system minus the rotor, although I may have a used one I can throw in.

PM me if you're interested or if you need any other parts, I've got a ton I've been meaning to get rid of, but have been too lazy to put a list together.

Ibis97

Happy Now?
I have 2 sets of DH cranks I'd be willing to sell & have two 83mm BB's also.

The first set are brand new Raceface Evolve DH with a new Raceface 83mm BB & the others are Raceface Diabolous with 2 seasons on them, but no real damage just a little scratched up.

I have a brand new Raceface double chainring that will fit either of those cranks too & if you want to go that route, I have a brand new Shimano Saint front derraileur also.

Oh, I also have a brand new Hayes 9 brake system minus the rotor, although I may have a used one I can throw in.

PM me if you're interested or if you need any other parts, I've got a ton I've been meaning to get rid of, but have been too lazy to put a list together.

Sounds good. I'll PM you tonight when I get home. I've never built an actual "DH" RIG. It was always just use my XC bike and hope it does not IMPLODE! LOL

So any advice is appreciated.

Thx.
Tom

T

Timekiller

As others have said, the 150 will treat you just fine. However if and when you move up to ~180mm you will notice a big diff. in DH aspects. I had a 150mm fork on my bullit the first year, then went with a Boxxer ride 178mm. The bike just plows through everything, without the feeling of going OTB.

My $.02... If you already have the fork, use it! When you get some extra cash, upgrade! Either way, you'll have a blast.

BTW... I just bought a 203mm boxxer, I need to find someone who wants the Boxxer ride... :hmmm: (shameless plug)

NJMX835

Sounds good. I'll PM you tonight when I get home. I've never built an actual "DH" RIG. It was always just use my XC bike and hope it does not IMPLODE! LOL

So any advice is appreciated.

Thx.
Tom

Seems like you are on the right path, just make sure you have a good set of wheels (especially for Diablo with all the rocks there) and if you're only going to be riding it on lift assisted terrain, I would go with a single ring up front & put a chain guide w/ bash guard on it so you're not throwing the chain all the time.

Ibis97

Happy Now?
if you're only going to be riding it on lift assisted terrain, I would go with a single ring up front & put a chain guide w/ bash guard on it so you're not throwing the chain all the time.

Right now I'm not sure. I MIGHT try and ride it around besides chairlifts. This frame I can run multiples up front. I may do that for now since I still plan on riding XC quite a bit. I have a few bikes so it would only be once in a while i would do that. Will see, The Bullit will be HEAVY!!! but a good workout for sure should I decide to try some heavy duty XC rides.

Top Bottom