Sidi or Specialized Shoes;

mcim29

Hello,

I'm torn between two pairs of MTB shoes, 1) Sidi Bullet 2 which are on sale for $109 & 2) 09 Specialized Expert with Carbon Sole $175 which no one carries in stock, so never got to try them on for comfort. I have Sidi Road shoes and are very comfortable but I heard using sidi mtb shoes they wear very easy. Does anyone have any good insight on any of these shoes?

Thanks,

M...:hmmm:

BiknBen

...I heard using sidi mtb shoes they wear very easy. Does anyone have any good insight on any of these shoes?

I think you got some bad info. These shoes are from '96. While I have newer pairs I wore these a couple times this Fall. They are still fine.

CIMG5108Small.jpg

THATmanMANNY

Sorry Ben

i never tried sidi yet, but i prefer the two velcro and one buckle strap which my specialized comp shoes have. The bullet doesn't seem to be the case. Plus the BG stuff is illmatic. I love the BG saddles and shoes. My next pair may be a sidi tho. We will see.

mwlikesbikes

+1 on Sidi

I have a pair of Dominators that I used from '96 or '97 untill last year when I replaced them with new Dominators. Still use the old ones as backup if the new ones are soaked or something.
Spend a little money now on the Sidis and you'll be glad in the long run.

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Sidi's A+

Sidi by far. They are Italian made and very well built. I have the Sidi Genius 6.6 road shoes in white and the Dragon 2's in black for Mtbing. I also have Specialized road and mtb shoes. The Sidi's feel like slippers! Tommy has a pair of Dominator 6's that are a few years old and still going strong. My Spec's I used for mountain biking started to come apart after a few rides.

RC ... :)

THATmanMANNY

half thumbnails length

Go half thumbnails length. IMO that is a good measure. Running sneakers are full thumbnails length (that is pretty much solid rule). Cleats half nails length to consider for thicker socks in winter. Unless if you just want to use for hot weather with thin socks then just make them a little over soccer cleat tight.

This is all my preference and rules I abide and have success with. Anyone else feel free to chime in.

C.Puncher

Sidi Dominator Road and Moutain...................Lorica..........like slippers man! Worth the extra dough. NEVER skimp on the shoes. Comfort is king. If you can't try em on don't buy them.

mcim29

Well the ones that I am looking at (Bullet) do not come in 1/2 sizes. I am a 9 1/2. I just took a look at my road Sidi Genius 4 and they are true to my size. Which are very comfortable have them on as we speak!!!!

mcim29

Now you guys got me thinking "spend the extra $" I just checked out $'s online for Dom-5 their going for mid 200's. having my road shoes on is giving me better sense of feeling that I should go for a 1/2 size bigger, they really are true form fitting.

BiknBen

Well the ones that I am looking at (Bullet) do not come in 1/2 sizes. I am a 9 1/2. I just took a look at my road Sidi Genius 4 and they are true to my size. Which are very comfortable have them on as we speak!!!!

Leave a little extra room for thick winter socks. You can always tighten the buckle or velcro when using thinner socks in the summer. If the shoes are too small for thick socks...you are F'd.

Definitely try on anything you want to buy before purchasing. Don't just pick a size and shoe and hope that it works for you.

Here is a tip: Buy all the sizes you think will work online. Then return the shoes that don't fit. You will lose a little cash on shipping. OTOH, I've been driving all over the state trying on Winter MTB shoes. Still haven't found a pair I like and in my size.

Last edited:

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
I've never used Sidi.
My first pair of cycling shoes were the Lake CX125 MTB.
They never fit right and I got blisters galore from them.

Then I got the Specialized Comp MTB shoes from my LBS, Pedal Sports in Oakland. I've used them for both road and MTB. They fit like a glove from day 1 and are comfortable enough that I've even forgotten to take them off after rides. My most memorable ride was when I flatted without any tube or tools and had to carry/push my bike and walk/run 3 1/2 miles in those shoes to pick up the kids at school on time. I was so impressed that called the shop the next day to tell them how much I appreciated those shoes. If they ever look like they're starting to wear, I'll grab another pair

This year, I bought the 2008 Specialized Pro road shoes. Again, awesome from day one. Now they've got over 4000 miles on them and they look like new. If I ever need another pair of either, or any other Specialized shoe, I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

mcim29

This is a great site, I appreciate all the insight and personal experiences that you all shared with me. I would like to get in a few rides and meet most of you this New Year. I live in Clifton and usually ride Lewis Morris and have rode Skyline and Ringwood as well, oh forgot Waywa. awesome trail. Lets say I'm pretty new to MTBing and love it.

I checked both Sidi and Specialized sites for shoes and I might go with the Sidi just don't now which ones yet. I would like to purchase D-6 but way to expensive. Might go for the D-5's need to try them one first....

Top Bottom