Show me your helmet lights

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I'm all set with my bar set up, but am having a had time finding a wireless helmet light that fits my Smith Session. How are you mounting them? I want something like this but it wont mount to my helmet.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
idk how everyone else is doing it but bontrager includes a light mount that snaps into their helmets. has a universal gopro mount on it for the light to screw into.

Andypowerful

I'm all set with my bar set up, but am having a had time finding a wireless helmet light that fits my Smith Session. How are you mounting them? I want something like this but it wont mount to my helmet.
This what I use for my Lumina NiteRider light for my helmet.
helmet strap.png

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This what I use for my Lumina NiteRider light for my helmet.
View attachment 168921
+1 on this. Have the same one and worked great.

That Smith helmet looks like it has some mesh though. Is there space between the mesh and helmet to run the straps through? Otherwise you may need to engineer something with a stick on GoPro mount or something. Here's a GoPro mount adapter for Niterider if it fits your model light. Or one of these that lets you attach a handlebar mounted light to your helmet.

Karate Monkey

idk how everyone else is doing it but bontrager includes a light mount that snaps into their helmets. has a universal gopro mount on it for the light to screw into.

I get them inexpensively, but I'll be looking elsewhere for the next one; the magnetic mount bounces if you are on chunky stuff. My (helmet) lights are all sub 120ish grams.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I get them inexpensively, but I'll be looking elsewhere for the next one; the magnetic mount bounces if you are on chunky stuff. My (helmet) lights are all sub 120ish grams.

i run a lumina 1100 on my helmet, had it bounce out a couple times, the trick to keeping it in place is to make sure the 'axle' part of the mount snaps into its grooves, once that happens its rock solid. ill never go back to stick ons. (i will admit that the system on my previous bonty helmet was easier to use as it was a spring loaded latch that clicked into place very easily while blind)

thegock

The 1800 is quite a bit heavier than any of my Niterider Luminas (900-1100L) or Cateye Volts (700-800 lumens) that I use on my helmet, therefore more difficult to hold in place under any conditions.

COLD NITE IMG_20200220_201509-01.jpg

Last edited:

Karate Monkey

i run a lumina 1100 on my helmet, had it bounce out a couple times, the trick to keeping it in place is to make sure the 'axle' part of the mount snaps into its grooves, once that happens its rock solid. ill never go back to stick ons. (i will admit that the system on my previous bonty helmet was easier to use as it was a spring loaded latch that clicked into place very easily while blind)

I don't mean it bounces out--i mean, the magnet breaks free and it clanks in the mount.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Personally, I think the dual beam NighRider is pretty heavy for a helmet light. Yes, you can mount it to a helmet -same as the single beam, which is my setup. Get this for your light then stick a GoPro mount to your helmet. It’s very secure and sturdy.

6EDC7069-6CFD-4577-88E5-9278030E27EA.jpeg

Andypowerful

Personally, I think the dual beam NighRider is pretty heavy for a helmet light. Yes, you can mount it to a helmet -same as the single beam, which is my setup. Get this for your light then stick a GoPro mount to your helmet. It’s very secure and sturdy.

View attachment 168944
I have the Giro Montaro helmet which has a go pro mount that snaps in. I tried the light there and I found it too high and catching on branches. I may have been able to get used to it but I switched to the strap and it’s pretty secure

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I have the Giro Montaro helmet which has a go pro mount that snaps in. I tried the light there and I found it too high and catching on branches. I may have been able to get used to it but I switched to the strap and it’s pretty secure
I can see where that might be an issue. I guess it depends where you ride.

Top Bottom