Should I buy? Trek Superly FS SL 9.9

stoecs

A friend of mine has offered me this 2015 Superfly FS 9.9 that was ordered as a Project One bike. Pretty much top of the line, Fox suspension, XTR brakes, bontrager carbon bars, original retail about $8,900. It's been ridden a fair amount over the past 2 years but very well maintained. The top tube did have a carbon repair from a low speed handlebar hit, I trust the repair and it looks good, more cosmetic at this stage as it was not repainted but the bike is black so it kind of blends in, probably would not notice it if you were not looking for it. Would you buy this bike for $2250? I am leaning towards going for it as it seems like a good deal but would be curious as to others opinions.

Karate Monkey

How much do you like your friend? In other words, would you still be friendly if it turned out that the bike was toast after a close inspection, possibly by someone who you are paying to evaluate it?

FS bikes often have a host of issues that come down the pipe as they get older; check suspension linkages for play (grab the top of the rear wheel, and put a hand above the linkage on the seat tube, and wiggle with gusto)...anything more than an almost imperceptible knock means that there may be damage to the bearing seats. Check carefully around the frame 'joints' for any cracking. Check the fork for play in the bushings, by clamping the front brake, and holding the fork by the stanchion where it goes into the lowers. You will be able to feel knocking, if they need to be replaced. It goes without saying that the consumables (chain, cassette, chainrings) will probably need replacing.

Even if you see everything as checking out, assume you will need to rebuild the suspension components, and replace all the bearing assemblies in the suspension linkages. Sending the suspension to Fox at this time of year is often a 2-4 week turnaround.

IMO, it's still a good deal, if you like the bike, but be aware that you will likely wind up replacing parts straight away, if you are chasing performance.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ask your friend to let you borrow the bike and then take it to a mechanic. Ask him what is wrong with it and how much he wants to fix it.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Ask your friend to let you borrow the bike and then take it to a mechanic. Ask him what is wrong with it and how much he wants to fix it.
this is the correct answer, then you can barter/adjust your price.

stoecs

Great - thanks for the replies- will have a shop check everything out to make sure no major issues are uncovered.

Top Bottom