Should a new mountain biker learn to ride on flat or clipless pedals?

Should a new mountain biker learn to ride on flat or clipless pedals?

• Clipless

Votes: 13 13.4%
  • Flats

Votes: 57 58.8%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 27 27.8%

• Total voters

RobSinger

I spent my recent 3 months new to mountain biking on flats with no interest in going to clipless regardless of the known advantages. They allowed me to save zero mph last moment falls - when the crank stopped turning leaving no leg and foot momentum- and still getting a foot down in time. I recently bought a new CX bike and new clipless pedals so was going to try them again as I could never get my feet out when I tried in the past. My 1st ride they were still not letting my feet out. I even had the multi release cleats with lowest pedal tension. I was out all day but on non technical trails. On my 2nd day somehow my feet were just releasing during a fall. I could not believe it. I then went to technical trails and they were getting out still. What I think was happening is I was learning to automatically twist my foot when falling without thinking about it. On the flats it was always a fast upward movement. The hardest spot to release was when foot was up in the 12 o’clock position. Tomorrow will be my 3rd day and I am going to stick at it. The things I can do clipped in are amazing but being able to release is still more important due to safety.

thegock

IMG_20200131_132738-01.jpeg

I spent my recent 3 months new to mountain biking on flats with no interest in going to clipless regardless of the known advantages. They allowed me to save zero mph last moment falls - when the crank stopped turning leaving no leg and foot momentum- and still getting a foot down in time. I recently bought a new CX bike and new clipless pedals so was going to try them again as I could never get my feet out when I tried in the past. My 1st ride they were still not letting my feet out. I even had the multi release cleats with lowest pedal tension. I was out all day but on non technical trails. On my 2nd day somehow my feet were just releasing during a fall. I could not believe it. I then went to technical trails and they were getting out still. What I think was happening is I was learning to automatically twist my foot when falling without thinking about it. On the flats it was always a fast upward movement. The hardest spot to release was when foot was up in the 12 o’clock position. Tomorrow will be my 3rd day and I am going to stick at it. The things I can do clipped in are amazing but being able to release is still more important due to safety.

Great first post ?

gingertooth

Flats mean nothing. I went to clipless the day I bought my first mtb. Flats have no advantage what so ever unless you are afraid to commit to falling your first month of riding...

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So here I am returning back to clipless after about 6-7 year hiatus. Just picked up a set of saints, put on a pair of northwave winter shoes I had, walked across the garage and the sole fell off 🤣 Guess its been a while. Searched the webs for an impact/freeride type shoe for cleats, no such luck. Come on addias, you ruined everything. Lucky for me I went through my bike shoe bin and had an original 5/10 leather set of impacts with option to run cleats!

Forgive me as I a slow learner but I must of read about a thousand times that the best preformance out of an ebike is a super well balanced spin. Everyone including spin mamas knows being clipped in is the most efficient process. Couple years of being on emtb later it finally dawned on me to go back to clipless and here I am. If you run an emtb and are not using clipless you are most definitely doing yourself a disservice IMO.

Stay tuned for fainting goat moves!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@jdog got me a set of shimano GE900s a couple of months ago and I really like them....they are plenty wide enough for my stupid gorilla feet. He set me up with angled shims for my cleats which has totally cured the pain I would get on the outside of my foot.

gingertooth

I went to Flat pedals 2 months ago after injuring some ligaments in my knee from a crash. Was recommended to do so for a bit but when I realized how awful it feels to loose so much pedal efficiency, I lost interest in riding till I could go back to clipless even though they could be helpful for those who lack balance In skeptical conditions..

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I went to Flat pedals 2 months ago after injuring some ligaments in my knee from a crash. Was recommended to do so for a bit but whe. I realized how awful it feels to loose so much pedal efficiency I lost interest in riding till I could back to clipless. But I could see them being helpful for those who lack balance In skeptical conditions..
Have you been hitting stokes? Blue dot loop in particular.

sundaydoug

There is my delema, I want hightops and addias decided to abandon that.
@jdog pointed me to these
though pricey. The OG 5/10s i have now will get me through. https://www.lakecycling.com/products/mxz-120
Are you on an ebike?
Ah, I didn't know they got rid of some models after the Adidas takeover. I've had like 6 or 7 pairs of Freerider Pros and the last two have been the Adidas version. No difference that I can tell, still my favorites.

And nope, not on an ebike. I've been riding flats on all bikes for the last 15 years, drop bar bikes included. Just my thing.

gingertooth

Have you been hitting stokes? Blue dot loop in particular.
I generally ride on the Delaware water gap side most of the time but the blue mtn loop is in good shape other than the end of it near the ranger station as its been under water for a bit now. Leave though at stokes are big and fluffy and can make things difficult for the little babies...

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I generally ride on the Delaware water gap side most of the time but the blue mtn loop is in good shape other than the end of it near the ranger station as its been under water for a bit now. Leave though at stokes are big and fluffy and can make things difficult for the little babies...
That's what I figured.
I rode the lake success long pond blue mountian lake just before the leaf fall, parked at the bottom of fiddlers, really some excellent poaching in there. We used to take the DH sleds from blue mountain down the butter milk trail and shuttle back up.

one piece crank

Focusing on a key part of the thread title, "...new mountain biker...", I will restate flat pedals rule.

I have ridden for over 40 years. I am not an uber-conditioned athlete and could be considered past my prime. Yet I do not encounter trails I am unable to ride/clear due to flat pedals. I can climb for hours too, spinning away without leaving any power on the hill. I certainly see the argument of a small efficiency gain with clipless, but for most riders you are simply racing against yourself. For a new rider, learning the mechanics of off-road handling and body position will get them further than clipping in. And, barring physical limitations, learning how to keep your feet on the pedals is the prize.

Last edited:

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
So here I am returning back to clipless after about 6-7 year hiatus. Just picked up a set of saints, put on a pair of northwave winter shoes I had, walked across the garage and the sole fell off 🤣 Guess its been a while. Searched the webs for an impact/freeride type shoe for cleats, no such luck. Come on addias, you ruined everything. Lucky for me I went through my bike shoe bin and had an original 5/10 leather set of impacts with option to run cleats!

Forgive me as I a slow learner but I must of read about a thousand times that the best preformance out of an ebike is a super well balanced spin. Everyone including spin mamas knows being clipped in is the most efficient process. Couple years of being on emtb later it finally dawned on me to go back to clipless and here I am. If you run an emtb and are not using clipless you are most definitely doing yourself a disservice IMO.

Stay tuned for fainting goat moves!
Bruh, don't be cheap. So many great options from 5/10 and Crank Bros. Everything is on sale. Pick up snazzy new shoes and spin away.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
For a new rider, learning the mechanics of off-road handling and body position will get them further than clipping in. And, barring physical limitations, learning how to keep your feet on the pedals is the prize.
This.

I was a toe clip user on the road bike since I was a kid in the late 70's, so I began in the woods that way, but very quickly went to clipless, and rode only clipless for nearly 25 years.

When I decided to put on flat pedals, it became a process of re-learning how to work with the bike, instead of using the mechanical connection of clipless pedals to just drag the bike around with my feet. It was a revelation, and my riding has changed for the better.

I do believe the benefits of clipless for pedaling efficiency are substantial enough to matter, if pedaling is a rider's priority.

I now kind of bounce back and forth between both types of pedals, but I'm firmly convinced of exactly what @one piece crank is saying above.

OddTrickStar

I gave clips a good honest shot when I took up MTBing, just not for me. Too many years of riding BMX, it was like claustrophobia of the feet. Clips/ clipless is not necessary for me to be able keep my feet on the pedals, or to pedal efficiently.

Top Bottom