Should a new mountain biker learn to ride on flat or clipless pedals?

Should a new mountain biker learn to ride on flat or clipless pedals?

• Clipless

Votes: 13 13.4%
  • Flats

Votes: 57 58.8%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 27 27.8%

• Total voters

Fat Trout

Back to the topic.

People new to fishing should learn with a closed faced reel in non-moving water from the shoreline, with a worm and bobber.
it gives them the best chance of success, and confidence to build upon, while they learn proper technique.

Here is some closed face reel fishing. Nothing else matches your criteria however....or common sense for that matter.

Captain Brainstorm

Back to the topic.

People new to fishing should learn with a closed faced reel in non-moving water from the shoreline, with a worm and bobber.
it gives them the best chance of success, and confidence to build upon, while they learn proper technique.

I respectfully disagree. The problem with a closed face feel like the Zebco is when a kid tangles it (and oh, they will), I just want to throw that thing as far as humanly possible, or run over it with my car, whatever is more convenient at the moment. A regular spin reel is soooo much easier to untangle, and most kids will get the hang of casting it in a day. And instead of worms and bobbers, a Senko rugged wacky is just as good (if not better), and a lot cleaner.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I respectfully disagree. The problem with a closed face feel like the Zebco is when a kid tangles it (and oh, they will), I just want to throw that thing as far as humanly possible, or run over it with my car, whatever is more convenient at the moment. A regular spin reel is soooo much easier to untangle, and most kids will get the hang of casting it in a day. And instead of worms and bobbers, a Senko rugged wacky is just as good (if not better), and a lot cleaner.

that's how i feel about flat pedals. :D

but holding down a button with the thumb, and letting it go, lets them focus on good arm technique. they won't tangle if spinners and spoons are avoided - cause a $10 fishing pole does not deserve a $1 ball bearing swivel.

i was being facetious, or maybe flippant, i dunno. i can't stand closed face reels.
Although i like when people who only know the closed face attempt to use a spinning reel upside down.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
3if1h4.jpg

... ....

TimBay

Anyone have a power meter on his reel? I prefer boost spacing on my poles. How many KOMs y'all got on the Delaware? Do you zwish in the winter months to keep your casts up? Thats all I got.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Anyone have a power meter on his reel? I prefer boost spacing on my poles. How many KOMs y'all got on the Delaware? Do you zwish in the winter months to keep your casts up? Thats all I got.

well - i wouldn't fish an e-reel. :D
yes, power assisted fishing reels are a thing with line-out distance, and some rate info......

1575516500755.png

I have Wii fishing! does that count?

Fat Trout

No we debate stupid stuff on alternate forums. Some important, some not so much. sH*t stirrers jump in and rile folks up etc etc. A beer or 2 sucks you into adding a comment....you later regret it. you know the usual. Meanwhile in real world terms (for the trolling crowd) its all about boat prep, gear prep etc. I have rods to re-rig, an autopilot to install, motor maintenance blah blah.
When ice out rolls around you have 2 groups. Those that get out and keep their mouth shut and those that crow about their KOM's ha ha.

Top Bottom