Should a new mountain biker learn to ride on flat or clipless pedals?

Should a new mountain biker learn to ride on flat or clipless pedals?

• Clipless

Votes: 13 13.4%
  • Flats

Votes: 57 58.8%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 27 27.8%

• Total voters

sundaydoug

Y doe?

NICA had the big push for flats to learn and a bunch of the coaches jumped on the band wagon. Sure, great for teaching / learning /confidence building and I agree some skills should be learned before switching...

However, take a look at NICA HS and a huge percentage of the kids switched to clips. Personally, my son (7th grade) switched this year. There are just too many advantages to clips.

It's great that NICA had a big push to learn on flats, I didn't know that. Step in the right direction for kids riding mountain bikes.

Doesn't surprise me that most kids switch to clips though, because the focus of NICA is racing (which I think is a bit misguided, but that's another point entirely). Racers race in clips, I get it. If all you care about is the fastest time in an XC race, then go with clips.

Not everyone that rides mountain bikes cares about time on a clock. I understand I'm part of this minority that isn't into racing, "performing", and everything that goes along with it, and I'm OK with that.

My whole point is that riders should give flats a shot. If you're part of this thread and you don't have at least some experience riding both, then for the purposes of this discussion your opinion is meaningless. Not directed at anyone in particular of course, but generally speaking.

If you've tried both and prefer clips then that's totally cool, do your thing. I ride with lots of guys that only ride clips.

I could go into detail and spend all day considering, organizing and listing all aspects of riding and why flats are better (in my opinion), but someone else has already done it for me. Very long, but very good read for those that care:

http://www.bikejames.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Flat-Pedal-Revolution-Manifesto-v3.pdf

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
It's great that NICA had a big push to learn on flats, I didn't know that. Step in the right direction for kids riding mountain bikes.

Doesn't surprise me that most kids switch to clips though, because the focus of NICA is racing (which I think is a bit misguided, but that's another point entirely). Racers race in clips, I get it. If all you care about is the fastest time in an XC race, then go with clips.

Not everyone that rides mountain bikes cares about time on a clock. I understand I'm part of this minority that isn't into racing, "performing", and everything that goes along with it, and I'm OK with that.

My whole point is that riders should give flats a shot. If you're part of this thread and you don't have at least some experience riding both, then for the purposes of this discussion your opinion is meaningless.

If you've tried both and prefer clips then that's totally cool, do your thing. I ride with lots of guys that only ride clips.

I could go into detail and spend all day considering, organizing and listing all aspects of riding and why flats are better (in my opinion), but someone else has already done it for me. Very long, but very good read for those that care:

http://www.bikejames.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Flat-Pedal-Revolution-Manifesto-v3.pdf

Yeah, read that some time ago. I have two pairs of his pedals (on recommendation from @Frank) I like them more than any other flat pedals... but my experience does not match James’s expectations. Still, really good pedals and my preference on the bikes I use flats.

CrankAddictRich

Y doe?

NICA had the big push for flats to learn and a bunch of the coaches jumped on the band wagon. Sure, great for teaching / learning /confidence building and I agree some skills should be learned before switching...

However, take a look at NICA HS and a huge percentage of the kids switched to clips. Personally, my son (7th grade) switched this year. There are just too many advantages to clips.

You realize this proves the opposite of your intent right? the point of the thread is "should a beginner LEARN on flats." What you're saying proves exactly that.. the NICA kids are learning on flats and then switching to clips.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
You realize this proves the opposite of your intent right? the point of the thread is "should a beginner LEARN on flats." What you're saying proves exactly that.. the NICA kids are learning on flats and then switching to clips.

there is also a monetary commitment to shoes for kids whose feet change weekly -
hopefully the shoe-swap is in full swing (like the baseball cleats)

----

the focus of nica is not racing.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Because it is dictated, and they are kids...

But this was in response to someone posting a manifesto on flats

FWIW, I voted doesn’t matter.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
As a flat rider on the mtb and clips on the road, in my experience, singlespeed on the road on flats is mucho harder than clipped in, especially on climbs. Same goes for SS mtb. Just a better experience clipped in.

But I choose to ride flats on the mtb. Easier on my knees (all the float I need) and I don’t mind an insanely quick dab to stay upright if I wobble. I have found I can’t clip out and back in as seamlessly as with flats. Like a quick tap, that I probably don’t need to do, but end up doing once in a blue moon anyway if it keeps me up and moving.

one piece crank

Keep in mind this is sort of a race against yourself. So, carbon-fiber-soles and SPD’s vs. vans and rat-traps - a good rider will make easy work of either set-up… but one may make YOU feel happier.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
It's pretty easy to see who learned on flats VS those that swapped to clips too early. Many of the oldskool MTBers have a biased opinion because we came straight from BMX onto a Mountain Bike and already had a huge skillset we forget folks starting now don't have. Nowadays a lot of the MTB folk are coming from the road and can barely keep a bike upright while they're smashing through the woods hunting for Strava Segments. Forcing them onto flats is good for all of us because the trails will be dumbed down less as these folks gain confidence.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The normal series of progression is usually:

Start MTBing on flats
See everyone else on clipless
Ask them why they are clipless when in fact they “clip in”
Go buy clipless pedals and ride them for a while

After this people either go back to flats or remain clipless.

But I never considered the roadie cross over who already knows how to clip in and out. That thought is scary AF.
Even worse someone who learned how to clip in and out at spin class and decides they want to use the same shoes when learning how to MTB.

Wow. Stay off the trails!

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Ooooh! The annual flats vs clips debate is back! This is always fun!

If the focus is on falling while being clipped in then one will fall while clipped in.

Truth. I'll personally vouch for that one. When I first tried clips I was riding very timidly and was obsessed with what would happen if I couldn't get unclipped. I fell over a few times just because it was all I was thinking about. Now, I don't even think about clipping out anymore. It just happens if it needs to, even when going OTB. Don't ask how I know...

It's pretty easy to see who learned on flats VS those that swapped to clips too early. Many of the oldskool MTBers have a biased opinion because we came straight from BMX onto a Mountain Bike and already had a huge skillset we forget folks starting now don't have. Nowadays a lot of the MTB folk are coming from the road and can barely keep a bike upright while they're smashing through the woods hunting for Strava Segments. Forcing them onto flats is good for all of us because the trails will be dumbed down less as these folks gain confidence.

This makes a lot of sense. I got away from bikes for close to 15 years so I had no skillset when I got back into it. I am glad I learned to handle a bike before moving to clips.

This could be a whole other debate but I'll throw this out there.... The brand of clipless pedals matters. I tried Crank Brothers clipless pedals first and they can be pretty difficult to get out of. Depending on how they are set up with/without shims under the cleats, contact pads on the pedals, pin contact with the shoes (Mallet/E), and the amount of float can just make it challenging. SPDs are much easier to learn, in my opinion.

I now generally agree that the advantages to clipless pedals are just too many to ignore.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This could be a whole other debate but I'll throw this out there.... The brand of clipless pedals matters. I tried Crank Brothers clipless pedals first and they can be pretty difficult to get out of. Depending on how they are set up with/without shims under the cleats, contact pads on the pedals, pin contact with the shoes (Mallet/E), and the amount of float can just make it challenging. SPDs are much easier to learn, in my opinion.

see now that is a matter of opinion, i started out with a set of hand me down candys (crank brothers) pedals, and they are easy in and easy consistent out, then i bought a bike that came with SPDs (imagine that :O) and i found that the candys were more consistent and predictable to release from, and the adjusment didnt move around on how much movement/force was needed to release.

when someone buys a new piece of gear like this it is always best to have an experienced hand setting it up (bike shop maybe?) to ensure that it is setup correctly for your own safety.

Im not trying to pull this debate down a new rabbit hole, just sharing a differing opinion/experience.

Reactions: Tim

Fat Trout

Clips because the stuff works. If you tip over you aren't adjusted right mentally or mechanically. On the fishing scene there is the same whole purity debate about form and technique and learned skill if I embrace it looooooong enough (with certain kinds of gear) and blah blah blah. I don't have time for that crap. When I bomb down chunky crap I want to know where my feet will be at all times because I gotta focus! Kudos to those that can go Jedi on the flats......I'm just not that guy.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Clips because the stuff works. If you tip over you aren't adjusted right mentally or mechanically. On the fishing scene there is the same whole purity debate about form and technique and learned skill if I embrace it looooooong enough (with certain kinds of gear) and blah blah blah. I don't have time for that crap. When I bomb down chunky crap I want to know where my feet will be at all times because I gotta focus! Kudos to those that can go Jedi on the flats......I'm just not that guy.

what - trolling with 24lb test on a spinning reel cause you are worried about a rats nest on your bait caster?

Top Bottom