Should a new mountain biker learn to ride on flat or clipless pedals?

Should a new mountain biker learn to ride on flat or clipless pedals?

• Clipless

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • Flats

Votes: 46 59.0%
  • Doesn't matter

Votes: 20 25.6%

• Total voters
I spent my recent 3 months new to mountain biking on flats with no interest in going to clipless regardless of the known advantages. They allowed me to save zero mph last moment falls - when the crank stopped turning leaving no leg and foot momentum- and still getting a foot down in time. I recently bought a new CX bike and new clipless pedals so was going to try them again as I could never get my feet out when I tried in the past. My 1st ride they were still not letting my feet out. I even had the multi release cleats with lowest pedal tension. I was out all day but on non technical trails. On my 2nd day somehow my feet were just releasing during a fall. I could not believe it. I then went to technical trails and they were getting out still. What I think was happening is I was learning to automatically twist my foot when falling without thinking about it. On the flats it was always a fast upward movement. The hardest spot to release was when foot was up in the 12 o’clock position. Tomorrow will be my 3rd day and I am going to stick at it. The things I can do clipped in are amazing but being able to release is still more important due to safety.

thegock

IMG_20200131_132738-01.jpeg

I spent my recent 3 months new to mountain biking on flats with no interest in going to clipless regardless of the known advantages. They allowed me to save zero mph last moment falls - when the crank stopped turning leaving no leg and foot momentum- and still getting a foot down in time. I recently bought a new CX bike and new clipless pedals so was going to try them again as I could never get my feet out when I tried in the past. My 1st ride they were still not letting my feet out. I even had the multi release cleats with lowest pedal tension. I was out all day but on non technical trails. On my 2nd day somehow my feet were just releasing during a fall. I could not believe it. I then went to technical trails and they were getting out still. What I think was happening is I was learning to automatically twist my foot when falling without thinking about it. On the flats it was always a fast upward movement. The hardest spot to release was when foot was up in the 12 o’clock position. Tomorrow will be my 3rd day and I am going to stick at it. The things I can do clipped in are amazing but being able to release is still more important due to safety.

Great first post 👍