Shops

Maurice

Bike shops are special places. I love bikes. Every time I walk into a bike shop I could stare at bikes and squeeze brake levers for hours (let's be grown-ups now).

Unfortunately, most times I walk into a bike shop I'm either talked down to, or at best completely ignored. Once I needed a bottom bracket, XT octalink, so I went to a shop I figured might stock it. While the shop rat struggled to locate the right part, a rather haughty, apparently higher-placed employee wandered by and, not even looking at me, dismissed the part with a "oh, that's for an old bike". I proceeded to podium twice in the pro field with that antiquity.

However that's not always the case. I'd like to take a moment and recognize the following places. I haven't been everywhere, so forgive me if you're not listed here.

- Cycle Funattic in Phillipsburg. This one's not too far from my house. Excellent reception! The owner even pulled out a video to show me and my wife a local cyclo-cross race. There's coffee and really beautiful Bianchi road bikes.

- Cycle Craft. Great place to browse and hang out.

- Bike 'n Gear. Gary is a great rider and has always treated me well. Wish I could stop by more often...

- Halter's. This is becoming a legendary place in NJ, and for good reason. J knows his stuff, and figures you out so quickly it's scary.

Have a great week-end. On the road of course.

Maurice

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Halter's. This is becoming a legendary place in NJ, and for good reason. J knows his stuff, and figures you out so quickly it's scary.

I spent some time down at J's Saturday and I have to say it lived up to expectations. I really enjoyed my time there and wish it wasn't quite so far away. No fewer than 10 MTBNJers were there through the 3 hours I was there. Good times indeed. I agree that J knows his stuff yet doesn't talk down to the customers in the least. Chris ("afraid of Internet" says someone, but apparently reads) is a real nice guy as well.

Frank

Sasquatch
Jdogs shop is awesome. Great parts selection, great folks, and a great vibe. I have only been there a couple of times but there are always a bunch of people just chillin too. Good stuff.

I also got to send Jay Kong of Brick Bikes a shout too. While his shop doesn't compare to Halters (inventory) there is no lack of friendly service. Another cool place to hang out.

walter

Fourth Party
Jdogs shop is awesome. Great parts selection, great folks, and a great vibe. I have only been there a couple of times but there are always a bunch of people just chillin too. Good stuff.

I also got to send Jay Kong of Brick Bikes a shout too. While his shop doesn't compare to Halters (inventory) there is no lack of friendly service. Another cool place to hang out.

Hey Frank, when my wife and I were first married and bought our first house, Jay at Brick Bikes was my local shop. I never made any major purchases there because I already had 2 perfectly good bikes, but he went out of his way several times to help me out in a pinch. Great guy who would always ask how you were doing and if you needed any help. Always has a smile on his face. Really a great guy.

Maybe its something with the name J.:hmmm:

Frank

Sasquatch
he went out of his way several times to help me out in a pinch. Great guy who would always ask how you were doing and if you needed any help. Always has a smile on his face. Really a great guy.
:

That sounds like Jay Kong all right. :)

N

Neen

That does sound like Jason Kong alright. I wish I was closer to his shop. Halters as well since I received excellant service the one time I went in there (for the Black Friday sale).

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Neen - you can't be more than 30 minutes from Halters. It took me less than 45 minutes to get home on Saturday, and I'm well north of you.

N

Neen

Norm - I am sure you are right about the 30 minute thing, it's just that I am never headed in that direction I guess. Although now that I've been there and know it's worth the ride, I am sure I will return. They do have quite a large selection of women's clothes. I picked up shoes and cleats at the sale....ran outta money for shorts and tights. :p

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Nice!

J knows his stuff, and figures you out so quickly it's scary.

Thanks Maurice. I respect your bike knowledge and riding ability.

This is the best compliment that I can remember getting. Figuring out a customer's needs is tricky.

We try our best not to oversell or undersell. We stock a fair bit more than we need. Every day Chris yells at me for buying too much stuff. (like today he was telling me that we don't need to stock 10 different 29er tires) He is right BTW.

It is sometimes tough to keep your cool when someone doesn't get that you are looking out for them and they think you are being a tool. I must get asked to do some weird thing once a week that I flat out refuse to do.

We are bike guys to the end. If we wanted to get rich we would be selling pharmaceuticals. (I have been offered this job)

walter

Fourth Party
That's because of one of the weird things that you did do.

Last week at J's shop there was a comment about a birthday, some spankings and studded gloves. I couldn't comprehend what was going on so I just continued on reading my bible.

Top Bottom