Shopping & Riding with Celiacs

Hey Tim,

I just noticed this thread. I was the one who had put up the GF post on mtbr.com last year. Congrats on making it a year plus with the GF. When I read thru the 8 pages of this thread this morning, I was expecting to see shopping tips, not to find out that you are still suffering from mystery symptoms. :-/

Sorry to hear it. I don't have much to contribute in this case, except well wishes. I can tell you that in addition to gluten, my husband finally removed dairy a few months ago and he is much healthier. It did seem gargantuan and it took 10 years of being GF to finally take that next step. He seems to be adapting OK. Defiinitely healthier.

Sometimes taking gluten out, can actually amplify other food sensitivities. If you have to take another food out, try it one day or week at a time, it will get easier.

Also, this seems to have been covered in the 2008 posts, but even the duodenal biopsy can be inaccurate..taking those biopsies of 2 or 3 spots is like pulling 2 or 3 blades of grass from a football field and judging the whole field by it. I agree with Cyclo, sometimes your own judgement is enough. (although you did eventually seem to get the clinical dx I think).

How are you doing with the GF, there is so much more stuff out now than even a year ago. Miller's GF has recently moved to Butler ...they have some awesome stuff if you need a Halloween treat. Also, just ordered a sampler box of Honey Stinger bars, easy to carry on rides...
Feel better, HEIDI

Hey Tim,

I just noticed this thread. I was the one who had put up the GF post on mtbr.com last year. Congrats on making it a year plus with the GF. When I read thru the 8 pages of this thread this morning, I was expecting to see shopping tips, not to find out that you are still suffering from mystery symptoms. :-/

Sorry to hear it. I don't have much to contribute in this case, except well wishes. I can tell you that in addition to gluten, my husband finally removed dairy a few months ago and he is much healthier. It did seem gargantuan and it took 10 years of being GF to finally take that next step. He seems to be adapting OK. Defiinitely healthier.

Sometimes taking gluten out, can actually amplify other food sensitivities. If you have to take another food out, try it one day or week at a time, it will get easier.

Also, this seems to have been covered in the 2008 posts, but even the duodenal biopsy can be inaccurate..taking those biopsies of 2 or 3 spots is like pulling 2 or 3 blades of grass from a football field and judging the whole field by it. I agree with Cyclo, sometimes your own judgement is enough. (although you did eventually seem to get the clinical dx I think).

How are you doing with the GF, there is so much more stuff out now than even a year ago. Miller's GF has recently moved to Butler ...they have some awesome stuff if you need a Halloween treat. Also, just ordered a sampler box of Honey Stinger bars, easy to carry on rides...
Feel better, HEIDI

Hi Heidi!

Yeah, the biopsy was negative, but the doc made the dx based on clear pattern of malabsorbtion, antibodies, and other conflicting test results. Time has proven it out...when they pulled blood 9 months into being GF, all my indicator antibodies (tta, ttg, etc.) were normal.

I've had to go to a real office for my job since July...so that has made the GF a little more challenging at lunch time. I eat a lot of salad :( Other than that, it hasn't been too bad. There is more and more stuff out there. Shaggz' sister-in-law turned me on to a little health food store in Sparta (Harmony) that has a good selection of gluten free stuff--even get fresh baked goods from the "Grainless Baker" every other Wednesday (the muffins are fabulous). Though, I mostly just buy NuGo Free bars and GlutenFreeda's oatmeal. All the other stuff, as are most gluten-free "equivalents", are calorie bombs and I try to avoid them.

Where in Butler is Miller's?

Tim

Last edited:
Hi Heidi!

Yeah, the biopsy was negative, but the doc made the dx based on clear pattern of malabsorbtion, antibodies, and other conflicting test results. Time has proven it out...when they pulled blood 9 months into being GF, all my indicator antibodies (tta, ttg, etc.) were normal.

I've had to go to a real office for my job since July...so that has made the GF a little more challenging at lunch time. I eat a lot of salad :( Other than that, it hasn't been too bad. There is more and more stuff out there. Shaggz' sister-in-law turned me on to a little health food store in Sparta (Harmony) that has a good selection of gluten free stuff--even get fresh baked goods from the "Grainless Baker" every other Wednesday (the muffins are fabulous). Though, I mostly just buy NuGo Free bars and GlutenFreeda's oatmeal. All the other stuff, as are most gluten-free "equivalents", are calorie bombs and I try to avoid them.

Where in Butler is Miller's?

Tim

Great info about the HFS in Sparta. That could be of use when visiting Kittattinny . I never knew.

The HoneyStinger bars are extremely pleasant for a portable snack. But at 390 cal per bar, that might be a calorie bomb. 20g protein

Have you ever tried Trader Joe's rice wraps? Some people like those for lunches.

I pack 15 GF lunches a week...we have bitten the bullet and we alternate between Joan's bagels (they come frozen, you have to bake them same-day). And, we also have Udi's bread shipped from Colorado every week and a half or so. We plot this stuff like it's the freakin d day invasion..order placing, when to freeze it, how not to waste it, etc. The only real painful part is the price. But with kids, it is just so important to be able to make something portable that can go on a field trip or campout.....it's choice we made, we don't have cable but we got the $50 bread . :-X

Miller's is near the Butler Museum on Main Street. Irony alert, it is in the former location of a Dunkin Donuts. Go there when you really, really crave a cookie like old times. Tom Miller is a genius. Always call first and reserve..they sell out every day.

I'll be 2 months GF this week, myself. Heidi

PS -- ever go to Mama's in Hackettstown??? It is a GF mecca like you can't believe.

Nah, I've never been to any of those places...I don't get out much :)

'Pretty lucky it is me with the GF issue...'couldn't imagine if the kiddies had to deal with this.

Back
Top Bottom