Shopping & Riding with Celiacs

Mare

Five months gluten free and I'm doing well. Except for eating out, adjusting has been almost a non-event. All of the gory details are in the thread.

Hmmm...one of my worst rides when I was having trouble was with you (and the rest of the team) at KVSP for the pre-ride. That was a tough day!

I've tried a couple GF corn flakes...they suck. I don't think I've tried the Wholefoods brand.

I haven't found a bread I can stand yet; 'been told Tapioca based bread is the way to go but 'haven't gotten around to that yet.

Dining out - I had to do basic, plain things... salad, baked potato, and fish. It was good and I still do that, but I also don't mind bland. Most people like to induldge :)

Ugh! I didn't realize at KVSP. We could have chatted more then about it! Well, next ride then.

I will check my cornflakes, but also check these out. I suspect they are good. http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Path-Organic-26-4-Ounce-Eco-Pac/dp/B000E46GEG

Bread - yeah... that tapioca stuff was ok at first, but then it made me gag. I doubt you want to do this, but I suggest making your own bread. I do that and it is soooo much better than store bought anyway.

If you like tortillas, this website has a few good ones. I have the first 2, but not the corn ones. The rice ones are delish! https://www.foodforlife.com/procart_catalog/index.cfm?SubCategoryID=1&do=list

And wait! Don't hold me to the sprouting of grains being GF. I heard that, but I want proof before I pass that along as a fact.

VanDbtRiver

Just had the tapioca bread which was thoroughly nasty. Also had some gf granola w/ milk this am that wasn't too bad.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Just had the tapioca bread which was thoroughly nasty. Also had some gf granola w/ milk this am that wasn't too bad.

I hear the tapioca bread is the good stuff :D There is a bread mix that is okay; Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Bread Mix. The problem with it is after a day or two it gets a "meaty" after taste and then sucks. Which would be okay if it wasn't a pain in the butt to make and didn't work out to be $6-7 a loaf.

BTW, if you think you have a gluten problem, and haven't gotten a diagnosis from the doctor, do not go gluten-free yet. Depending on how long you are GF, it could make it difficult or impossible to diagnose anything.

For instance, if they ran me through the all the tests they did to diagnose the Celiacs now, all of them would come back negative.

VanDbtRiver

I hear the tapioca bread is the good stuff :D There is a bread mix that is okay; Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Bread Mix. The problem with it is after a day or two it gets a "meaty" after taste and then sucks. Which would be okay if it wasn't a pain in the butt to make and didn't work out to be $6-7 a loaf.

BTW, if you think you have a gluten problem, and haven't gotten a diagnosis from the doctor, do not go gluten-free yet. Depending on how long you are GF, it could make it difficult or impossible to diagnose anything.

For instance, if they ran me through the all the tests they did to diagnose the Celiacs now, all of them would come back negative.

I am a little anxious to figure things out for myself. I will resume my standard diet with a few modifications then set up a consultation.

Mare

I am a little anxious to figure things out for myself. I will resume my standard diet with a few modifications then set up a consultation.

You can experiment yourself a bit (hopefully with minimally added anxiety). You may not need to avoid gluten, but maybe just wheat (which means you could have rye, spelt, etc).

Sorry to conflict with what Tim says, but I do think if you want to try yourself (before going to the doc), avoid gluten all together for a few weeks and see if you notice a difference. I do agree that if you are off of it for a while and go to docs, tests results won't be terribly helpful at that point.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
You can experiment yourself a bit (hopefully with minimally added anxiety). You may not need to avoid gluten, but maybe just wheat (which means you could have rye, spelt, etc).

Sorry to conflict with what Tim says, but I do think if you want to try yourself (before going to the doc), avoid gluten all together for a few weeks and see if you notice a difference. I do agree that if you are off of it for a while and go to docs, tests results won't be terribly helpful at that point.

But if you have something like Celiac's, you will notice no difference in a few weeks of being GF. It could take at least a month to notice anything and several months for all symptoms to vanish.

Mare

But if you have something like Celiac's, you will notice no difference in a few weeks of being GF. It could take at least a month to notice anything and several months for all symptoms to vanish.

Yes, true. I guess I am just saying that if someone is reluctant to go to docs, they can try on their own a bit. This is coming from me though who is very opinionated and stays away from docs, so I am used to experimenting on my own a lot.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Yes, true. I guess I am just saying that if someone is reluctant to go to docs, they can try on their own a bit. This is coming from me though who is very opinionated and stays away from docs, so I am used to experimenting on my own a lot.

I understand that. You just have to be careful with this stuff; you could go GF and get results, yet it might be something could be solved w/o going GF for the rest of your life.

I went around and around in my own mind early on about this too :)

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Updates

Well boyz 'n girls, the fun just keeps on keepin' on.

As some of you know, I started having these weird sugar crash type issues last April. It was kind of like bonking hard on the bike, but only 20-40 minutes into the ride. Bought a glucometer and confirmed that my blood sugar was tanking even though I was eating well. On top of this, I weigh 15+ lbs more than I did in December in-spite of eating reasonably well and riding.

Went to the doc and had some basic blood work done. Everything looked normal. 'Found a paper entitled "Exercise Hypoglycemia in Non-diabetic Subjects". Sounded exactly like what I was experiencing.

So, I did what the paper said to do to manage it. This consisted of eating a high-carbo, low glycemic index meal a couple hours before riding and supplementing with a carbo drink while riding. I did this, and for the most part, it seemed to do the trick. Fawk the docs, I got this handled.

Then in early August, I started having some periods of retaining water and pissing like a race horse. And, okay control yourselves children, a spell of nasty body odor--shower, soap, deoderant, repeat...'still not rosey. Some other minor oddities were experienced as well (night sweats, etc.). Anyway, most of this stuff was intermittent or down right stopped.

Odd. 'Thought about going to the doctor, but never got around to it.

Then I went riding with Matty, Ruth, Chris and Mare at Stephens. The management strategy I'd been doing didn't seem to work. If it hadn't of been for Chris giving me some Shot Bloks, it'd be a total disaster.

Okay, time to go to the doc.

I update the doc on the new symptoms and he mentions a "very small" possibility of a tumor on my pancreas :scared: You bet your ass I made the first appointment possible to get the CT scan w/IV contrast. Clean as a whistle :D Whew!

Then I went for a three-hour glucose tolerance test. The fasting, 1 hour, and 2 hour samples were normal. Barely. We're talking single digit mg/dL above the lower end of normal. Then at some point between 2 and 3 hours, I crashed...44 mg/dL. 'Had no idea when I left the lab, though I was "big time blah" and pretty much a waste of a human being for a good part of the afternoon. Oddly, my insulin levels were dead-nuts normal for the entire test.

My GP pretty much shrugged his shoulders and is sending me to an endochronologist. He did say that it wasn't an unreasonable leap to think that the stress of intense-ish exercise could push me hypoglycemic even when I've eaten well based on my reaction to the glucose test. The test was almost normal, but kinda' not...

So the good news is that it doesn't seem to appear that I'm imagining things. The bad news is more poking and prodding. I've spent more time with doctors in the last two years than I have the rest of my life combined (excluding orthopedists, of course :D)

The Kalmyk

Damn Tim...I wish I could point you in the right direction...Really sorry you are going thru this...It seems to me you are staying positive which is the key...Don't let a physical ailment break you...If you ever want to head south for some easy riding I'm here for ya buddy...Hope things are figured out soon

Afterthought...Ever research different doctors??? NYC seems to always have THAT doctor...Just a thought

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Thanks all. The endocrinologist came highly recommended. I have list of possibilities (Dr. Fogerson, here)...nothing too scary so far.

It has been pissing me off a bit lately...'had the f'in celiacs thing last year and this thing this year. I'm looking forward to the day that the only thing slowing me down on the bike is being fat and old :D

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Tim, sorry you have to deal with this. Wouldn't it be a bitch if they told you that you need to eat bread?

That would be funny. My worst nightmare would be something that requires MORE dietary restrictions...the gluten-free thing is big enough of a PITA...

Hey !!! Leave me out of it.:mad: OK kidding :)

Sending positive vibes your way pal.

Haha!

Thanks.

PTB66

Jeez Tim...Hope things get better for ya. It's gotta be frustrating as hell.
Thanks for the advice when I was going through my thing (still am BTW just not as bad).

Top Bottom