Shopping for a gym.

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
I don't know how exactly I got to this place but I'm now in the market for a gym membership.

I live in Warren and work in Madison and would like find something at or between those two points.

If you know a good spot please share, otherwise what the hell should I be looking for? I've been a member (briefly) at the Madison YMCA, it was nice but $$$$$.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i did the warren rb club for a long time. small gym, low membership, so equipment was always available.
you might also get hooked on RB, cause it is a blast once you learn how to play - and only the fittest survive!

they have tennis, but does anyone do that anymore?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I do planet fitness. $120/yr and I can do all my non bike stuff and spin. I've had retro and la fitness memberships as well. La fitness was nice having a pool but their up keep in general sucked. Retro was best bang for the buck and had a nice crossfit area and rowing machine as well as spin room.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you aren't knocked off your stoop By the anti gym segment, do check your health insurance. In some cases they have money on the table via their wellness incentives.
Spence is right...my company reimburses me $600/year for gym membership, and gym definition is pretty liberal. If I lived in California at our mothership I could use the facilities on our corporate campus for free, but out here on the right coast I can join a yoga studio and it is valid for our reimbursement. Also, my out of pocket healthcare premiums go down, actually a significant amount on a per paycheck basis, by uploading either my apple watch fitness data, garmin data or fitbit stuff for our wellness program.

szymon

Try to go and take a look at the time you would be going, some gyms are packed at certain times and waiting for machines gets old really quick. Also when you ask to look around see if there are any machines with out of order signs, could be a sign that they don't keep up with the maintenance.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Planet fitness $10 / month. I go 4 morning a week before work. So I take 16 hot showers a month. How do they make any money?

Most people stop going but never bother to cancel because it's so cheap, and they think they'll start going again. They obviously make canceling difficult to encourage this behavior.

Supermoto

I don't know what you fitness goals are, but I'll thow this out there anyways. Find a near by place that offers Krav Maga. It is a great workout and you learn a useful skill. A good school will push you to your limit. I used to take stick and knife fighting classes after Krav classes because fighting with a knife was relaxing compared to Krav

The Kalmyk

I don't know what you fitness goals are, but I'll thow this out there anyways. Find a near by place that offers Krav Maga. It is a great workout and you learn a useful skill. A good school will push you to your limit. I used to take stick and knife fighting classes after Krav classes because fighting with a knife was relaxing compared to Krav
Is that the Isrealean combat or some shit?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
giphy.gif

hotsauce

Most gyms have a lot of wiggle room on price. I negotiated the same price that my wife gets on a corporate discount with no questions asked just by telling them that she pays $$ and asking if I can pay that too?

Also make sure the gym fits what you want to do. My gym only has 2 squat racks and a lot of meat heads so its tough to get the equipment I want sometimes.

I go to Crunch, it's expensive but nice. There are suburban Crunch's (with the blue sign) that are dirt cheap and have been nice when I've used them. Also don't do Planet Fitness if you want to get enthusiastic about your workout. They do have pizza parties from time to time though.

hotsauce

Also ask if you can try a gym free for a day/week before you decide. It's somewhat common and never hurts to ask for free shit.

Top Bottom