shoes

J

jimex7

I just got my shoes no more regular pedals, now i can fall with my bike still attached to me cool huh.
I have the step in pedals do you have to adjust them like skis? I can not seem to relaease the shoe out of pedal?:hmmm: Help?

J

jimex7

I have shimano pedals came stock shoes are sette element mb shoes?

anrothar

entirely thrilled
you twist your foot to release jim. shimano pedals should have a small allen head screw that will adjust tension. it would be best to set it pretty light untill you get used to releasing i would imagine. congrats on making the leap! now we just need to work on brett....

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
don't be ashamed if you tip over at slow speeds, it happens to everyone especially in technical areas.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
hey jim-
congrats on the leap! the only thing left to add is to practice clipping in and out on some flat, grassy terrain. do it at riding speeds, then slow it way down and try it. you'll fall a lot, sure, but who cares. it's grass! good luck with them...i wish the al gore had invented the interweb when i got my first set of clipless pedals...would have made my life a little easier. :eek:

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
You'll fall more, but it's worth it. Practice clipping in and out on the street at first and then take it to the trails. For me, after 2 years of riding clipped in, the hardest part remains having the courage to remain clipped in when approaching some nasty descent or rock garden. I often puss out.

D

DANSPANK

When you get the hang of it you'll love it. Instead of bouncing around and out of your pedals and seat on downhills, you and the bike remain connected and you have far greater control and will attain higher speeds.

The uphills become easier as you can employ the pull move as your shoe rotates past 6 o'clock - you pull the pedal up whilst simultaneously pushing your opposite pedal down with your other leg - I find it takes a lot of pressure off my thighs and I can better spin up hills...

Have fun!

Mike679

After 10 years in clipless pedals, I'm afraid to not be clipped in.

I gave Diablo a try over the summer on a rental bike and brought my pedals w/ me to swap for the day.

That being said - I would venture to say that it takes more skill to ride flat pedals, especially for XC riding. Being clipped in seems to be the only thing keeping me from being flung from my bike sometimes on the rockier stuff, hence my decision to go clipless on the rental.

The clipless learning curve is a fun one, but in a short time you won't even have to think about it.

Mike

xc62701

It's definitely the way to ride. Take it from a guy who hated clipless until I got used to them. I had a bad set of pedals that wouldn't release but todays pedals are much nicer. You'll fall a bunch getting used to them but one you get the hang of things they are wonderful. I hate not being clipped in any more. I just can't put power into the stroke like I can when clipped in and as someone once told me it's more dangerous not to be clipped in. If you're legs start flying out of the clips and straps you'll get hurt quicker than if you're clipped in.

xc62701

You'll fall more, but it's worth it. Practice clipping in and out on the street at first and then take it to the trails. For me, after 2 years of riding clipped in, the hardest part remains having the courage to remain clipped in when approaching some nasty descent or rock garden. I often puss out.

That's the beautiful part. If you're still intimidated then clipout before hand and just rest your feet on the pedals and clip in afterwards. When you get more comfortable clip in and rock the techy stuff.

S

Shar0se

I just got my shoes no more regular pedals, now i can fall with my bike still attached to me cool huh.
I have the step in pedals do you have to adjust them like skis? I can not seem to relaease the shoe out of pedal?:hmmm: Help?
welcome to my world- the learning curve is awful! I bought pads to help ease the transition. Good luck!:)

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
you twist your foot to release jim. shimano pedals should have a small allen head screw that will adjust tension. it would be best to set it pretty light untill you get used to releasing i would imagine. congrats on making the leap! now we just need to work on brett....

I have literally 50 different foot positions for all the scenarios i encounter and my countact point when just cruisin is too far forward for cleats so I'll be flat forever.I keep up no prob in flats and i can walk faster than tap dancers too..........

J

jimex7

ok pedals are on shoes are set up. Now weather sucks can not really go out side and try it. So next thing is the basment, what do you do mark your shoe with marker were the clip is so you can line it up with pedal? I am frustrated can anyone help me with some pointers?

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Are you talking cleat set up? You shouldn’t have to mark anything. Set the cleat pretty much centered left to right, hopefully your shoe has graduations that show the center line. When the shoe is moved inwards, your ankle should just miss the crank. You can tweak it a bit later if you aren’t digging how far you have to twist out to unclip or if your foot naturally hangs a bit more inward than most.

For front to back also start in the middle. The goal is to have the ball of your foot over the spindle. You can clip in, see where the ball of your foot is, then take the shoe off while still clipped in and eyeball it off the bike to see if you need to go front or back. If you start having some new knee pain after a few rides you may want to move them aft a bit.

A good shop will set this up for you. I just picked up some winter shoes from Halters recently and Chris slapped some new cleats on for me in the shop. When i got home I had to do a minor tweak on my left cleat then tighten them down to my preferred cleat torque. (German tight) Besides the small adjustment I made before my first ride they were set up perfectly in the shop. I am sure if I had my bike in the shop I would have left there with them set 100%.

Another plug: These winter shoes were easily the best bike related gear I have bought since my first clipless pedals. (onza HO's, 1993) My feet have never been so comfortable in the winter. Thanks jdog and Halters crew.

I think I still have those onza's laying around, and eleventy sets of elastomers. I really need to clean out my garage. :D

KenS

JORBA.ORG
Almost forgot, depending on your shoe/pedal combo the sole may rub a bit. Annoying and could slow down releases. Nothing an exacto blade cant fix.

You absolutely have to post your first clipless related mishap. Mine was in my old garage, minutes after I first bolted the pedals on my bike. The instructions said "clip in 20 or so times with each foot to break in the cleats", so I did just that. After I finished the second foot I was clipped in on both, started to track stand and eventually fell over. Hand reached for the wall, which was unfinished and had tons of awesome nails sticking through the plywood from the siding. I can count on one hand how many times I have fallen because of pedals since then. That summer I was able to count by the holes in my palm.

walter

Fourth Party
Another bit of advice, even though you are trying varying cleat positions, make sure the cleats are tight. Nothing worse than trying to learn on cleats, they arent tight enough, you twist your foot and nothing happens.

walter

Fourth Party
Another plug: These winter shoes were easily the best bike related gear I have bought since my first clipless pedals. (onza HO's, 1993) My feet have never been so comfortable in the winter. Thanks jdog and Halters crew.

What did you get?

KenS

JORBA.ORG
Lakes. I was using answers last year (never made it more than an hour without some form of discomfort) and neoprene covers over summer shoes in years past. (ripped often, sucked to get on, not entirely warm...etc)

The lakes fit me as good or better than any shoe I have owned. Usually under 40 degress I get some form of discomfort after 1-2 hours. Either cold toes, numbness from a pinched spot here or there, etc. So far with these I havent though about my feet other than to tell friends "wow these shoes own".

I think when it gets under 30 degrees ill slip in some warmers and i'll be golden down to any temp the rest of my gear can handle. Or i'll use a wicking sock and some thicker wool ones, I'll experiment with both. I bought a size larger than normal, so I have plenty of room in the lakes. The boa system tightens them up nicely no matter which sock I wear underneath. Very stoked with these shoes.

walter

Fourth Party
Definately agree with you, the Lakes maybe the best winter investment. I think they are the most comfortable mtb shoe I've owned. Hooray for Halters

Top Bottom