Shoe Recommendations

What brand have your favorite clipless MTB shoes been?

• Total voters

goodvibe

I have had every type of shoe. Shimano, Specialized, Lake, Northwave, 45Nrth, Nike, Adidas, etc. The best shoe is the shoe that fits you well. Find a shop try the shoes on, and then buy it from the shop. For me, the Shimano and Specialized shoes have lasted the longest and fit the best. The Wolvhammers are warm as hell. The Lake shoes are warm down to freezing. There are so many shoes out there, you will find the one that is the best.

LGMan

Before switching to Shimano I wore Diadora and Sidi's. But after trying Shimano Custom Fit shoes its hard to go back. Both my XC-70 (MTB) and SH-R260 (Road) were heat molded to my feet (insole and shoe) and they fit awesome! Very comfortable , snug, and fits like a glove without pressure points (even after cranking the straps way up).

Last edited:

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
kanye-west-adidas-originals-yeezy-footwear-collection-00-630x420.jpg

Spd yeeeeezzzyyy's
Lol. I sold a pair of YZY 350's for $600 a few months ago.

Srsly thou. Go to a shop and try on many pairs. The cleat placement is the same but the fit matters 100%. Try all velcro staps.... velcro and 1 ratchet type or even laces. I've had a bunch of mtb shoes and some have had shitty pressure points at the collar in the front and some have had too much flex in the sole. Really need to spend some time on this

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
What seems to be missing here is comments about width and foot shape.

We stock Giro, Shimano, and Sidi.

The reason I stock these three in particular is that they all come in 2 widths and sidi actually comes in 3.

They all fit differently and that alone gives some really good fit options.

As for warranty Sidi is probably the worst, but their shoes may be the toughest, so that balances out.

Shimano has the best warranty with the 60 day fit guarantee (no BS).

Giro falls under bell sport and they have great customer support. Keep in mind that not all models from each brand come in the varied widths.

thegock

I have had every type of shoe. Shimano, Specialized, Lake, Northwave, 45Nrth, Nike, Adidas, etc. The best shoe is the shoe that fits you well. Find a shop try the shoes on, and then buy it from the shop. For me, the Shimano and Specialized shoes have lasted the longest and fit the best. The Wolvhammers are warm as hell. The Lake shoes are warm down to freezing. There are so many shoes out there, you will find the one that is the best.

Imelda and me

Shoes, wonderful shoes. At the beginning of the week, we had 14 pair of cycling shoes because we had given one perfectly good, worn eight times, pair of Louis Garneau’s away in the spring, because they were too narrow. For this forum, we can ignore the six pair of road shoes, though.

Confession: It’s like this, there is always a reason why we can use just one more pair of shoes. Such as, [1] they’re a good deal (is it really a good deal if you have FOURTEEN other pair of shoes?) [2] fills a gap in temperature range for winter trail slaying (of course you could buy two lifetime supply of toe warmers less expensively), [3] bitchin purple color (no arguing with stone cold logic).

Most importantly: TRY THEM ON!!!!!! That great online deal sucks if you have to pay return shipping and MTB shoes have very inconsistent sizing from brand to brand. (E.g. Giro run really small relative to the numbers on the box. Garneau have a very narrow last etc.)

These are the MTB keepers:

I like SIDI, having had five pair, two MTB and three road. They fit me right in the MEGA (wide toe box? Size). The carbon sole Dominators (46.5) in camo are my go to warm weather shoe and Hilltop had them on sale. Stripped a buckle on a rainy rock slide this spring, but I paid for a new one. Also have a pair of the SIDI Drakos (46.5) in yellow (see [3] above) that are my race shoes. Those last prompted a sarcastic “Nice shoes” from a real MTB racer at the starting line last year, but they fit perfectly. SIDI sizes very consistently within the brand.

My third pair of warm weather MTB are carbon soled Giro Gauge HV from Halters. Gotta have a spare pair if the Dominators are wet, right? These say size 12.75/47 on the box, but I am an 11.5 wide and they fit great. Only drawback is that they are less comfortable to walk in. Solution: HTFU.

Winter is coming. Last night in the rain wasn’t so bad, but if the temperature falls 10-15 degrees, it’s a different game. Shoe covers work, but the Specialized Defrosters (45 wide) cover a range for me of about 30-42 degrees Fahrenheit.

The key to this criteria is that everyone is different. Goodvibe likes the Lakes (MXZ303) down to freezing, but that is the top of their range for me. The bottom (again, for me) is about 20-23 degrees with weighty wool sox (size 46). Only drawback is that the Lakes are noticeably heavier than the Defrosters. I got the Lakes from Brandt’s in Wantagh, where my wife used to work, back in the day.

Below that 20 degree mark, the 45Nrth Wolvhammers (size 47!) are the solution. The 45’s are probably good to absolute zero. I have run them for three hours in temperatures averaging 15 degrees and my feet were sweating when I took them off in the truck. Incredibly warm and exceedingly expensive at Cyclecraft on 46 in Parsippany.

Last edited:

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i second the bontragers get the rl or the rlx, they last longer than the cheaper base model (under $100 lasted me a year), im on my 2nd pair of the rlx in 6 years and i wear them until i can see the carbon shredding, yes that takes a long time.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I ended up going with the new Shimano SH-M163 shoes because I didn't want to go with the full 'enduro' M200, plus I found a really good deal on them for under the price range I was looking at. Rode them all day at Jungle Jam and they felt great. The fit was spot on to size and the straps and ratcheting system is great compared to the crappy draw string on my other Shimano shoes.

subazforce

just picked up some sidi dominator 5's at my LBS for half the msrp, have only used them on my road bike so far but they are amazing, comfortable, light and hopefully durable.

Top Bottom