Shock\Fork rebound question

njkayaker

New bike and trying to get the rebound dialed in. Set to what Trek recommended for my weight etc but seem to get bounced around in very rooty sections. question is more rebound or less? Thanks in advance.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
New bike and trying to get the rebound dialed in. Set to what Trek recommended for my weight etc but seem to get bounced around in very rooty sections. question is more rebound or less? Thanks in advance.

Rebound or Sag? Sag is related to weight and how much pressure is needed to depress the fork/shock at a neutral position, you know, when you're just sitting on it. Rebound is how fast the fork/shock returns after you depress it.

Usually there's a knob under the fork leg/knob on the top of the shock... That's the rebound adjuster. Open it all the way and dial it back 3 clicks to start with. Ride the roots again and see if it feels better. Still bucking you off, give it another click. Fork/shock backing up after a bunch of roots, give it a click the other way..... Once you get it... You'll never touch it again, until you service the fork/shock.

The key to plush is what feels good. Mfg's numbers only get you in the ballpark; you need to play with it a little to make it yours.

Oh, before I forget.... You should be using all of your suspension (fork) on most single track rides (not towpath) if you never top out the fork, you probably have more air in it than you need/want. I mean you paid for the travel... Might as well use it.

Hope this helps.....

Dan-

Oops, almost forgot... Congrats on the new bike. :)

Last edited:

njkayaker

Rebound. The bike has 140 mm travel and i have been using all of it. I bumped up the air pressure because of that. i'll try going minus of rebound and see how it responds. Thank you

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Rebound. The bike has 140 mm travel and i have been using all of it. I bumped up the air pressure because of that. i'll try going minus of rebound and see how it responds. Thank you

Don't get into the trap of bumping up your air pressure, probably what's making it springy and is a recipe for a harsh ride. Back off a few psi on the air pressure and increase low speed compression, it will maintain your ride height. Set your fork at around 25% sag to start. Play with your rebound until it feels acceptable. Jot down the number of clicks out from full closed or open for all your settings.

locotoo

I would start with the rebound turned to full clockwise (closed) and then count the number of clicks while turning counter-clockwise (open). Start somewhere less than 50% open and record the number of clicks. Ride and adjust from there.

gtluke

The Moped
I find that for around here that really slow rebound works better. We are rarely in situations where packing will occur because our riding is so relatively slow and technical.

Supermoto

I find that for around here that really slow rebound works better. We are rarely in situations where packing will occur because our riding is so relatively slow and technical.

I'm just the opposite, I run as little rebound as possible, usually 4 clicks from full open

jumpa

Two clicks towards turtle from the half way point for me, not that it matters.. But this is how I ended up at my current setting. I have a pre set in my head for my local favorite trails and a general setting for going to new places

Suspension bracketing yo!

050307bracketing.jpg

greeek32

don't forget, if your compression is jacked up then you might not be bouncing off the shock rebound but off the tires because you are failing to compress your suspension at all.

I start with everything open (no compression or rebound) then add a click of rebound until it's just past where i want it to be (it returns too slow) then I back it off a click. For compression, if your sag is set properly (air pressure) and you're crushing through your travel at a click or two of compression. if it starts to feel harsh, back it off a click. also, don't forget to set your sag (air pressure) with all your gear on and in the riding position you use most (for XC it's usually seated) and on level ground. to check your sag, sit on your bike a bounce a couple of times to cycle the shock, then have a friend move the O ring to the bottom of the slider and get off the bike gently. measure your sag.

Also, make sure your shock and fork aren't in climb mode. climb mode turns my 5010 into a hardtail instantly.

Top Bottom