Ships Log: Fat Aircraft carrier war games

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
New_Z.jpg
Yes, please.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
utah, you're doing all this yourself, right? in the garage?

i SO wish i had a garage to put my scrambler in. it would make things so much easier in terms of ripping things out. mine is over run with kid stuff and will be for the foreseeable future. :(

actually, i don't even think it would fit in the garage.

can i park it in yours?

and damn dude, your son is cute.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
That is also the car I learned how to speed shift in.. followed by proving that I could bench press a transmission followed by tearing apart and replacing sheer pins...

Speed shifting failures resulted in taking the trans out and replacing the sheer pins that held the cogs in place. In high school, it was fun driving to school with first and reverse only.

Is 1st or rev lower? or the same?

you drop a trans on yourself? i got a story for another time about working under cars, and motors hanging from hoists......
-----------------------------------------------------------
love the simplicity of the interior tear down. did the rear seat bolt down, or was it push in and over clips? There's that green...
combining the torino wagon and the celica produces a starsky & hutch version???

the japanese car engines always sounded like motorcycles, small bore, high rpm. no need to chain the engine down to keep it from breaking a motor mount.

----------------------------------

Carry handle on the car seat is like a natural roll bar! Get Robert a full face helmet!

Mountain Bike Mike

Is 1st or rev lower? or the same?

you drop a trans on yourself? i got a story for another time about working under cars, and motors hanging from hoists......
/QUOTE]

I don't get your question about 1st or rev lower... To add - I had trouble with the throw from second to third with wide open throttle and tapping the clutch. I kept missing.. Miss it enough times and you sheer the sheer pins that hold the cogs in place. The gears would not engage after that.

In order to fix the trans, I'd roll the car onto ramps, jack the back and sit it on jack stands, unbolt the trans and leave one or two bolts somewhat threaded in. Climb under the car, get the trans to rest on my chest and have my uncle undo the last couple threads of the bolts holding it to the motor. Then I would shimmy the trans away from the motor and let it rest on my chest while i'd wiggle out from under the car. (Red neck wrenching for sure). In high school, I didn't have much money so we figured it out..

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Well said - As you accelerate in a low gear and feel the car body twist and the shifter twists with the motor slightly.. Rolling to a stop pushing the clutch in and hearing and feeling the lupmpy camp. For some reason, the muscle cars back then had a different HP & Torque feel (real raw). You may have more ponies in the new cars but it doesn't have that raw muscle feel. You can't get that raw muscle feel in the newer cars - they're too refined in my opinion.

Yes, there is something awesome about a lack of refinement.

Pearl. I like old Japanese cars. Especially 70s...Steve makes a good point..Mid 70s what cool car were you really buying in the US? Mustang II? 180hp corvette? Rubber bumper camaro? The 240, celica, etc kind of brought back the mid 60s pony car dimensions.

utah, you're doing all this yourself, right? in the garage?

i SO wish i had a garage to put my scrambler in. it would make things so much easier in terms of ripping things out. mine is over run with kid stuff and will be for the foreseeable future.

actually, i don't even think it would fit in the garage.

can i park it in yours?

and damn dude, your son is cute.

I have no body work skills...If you give me a DA sander and turn me loose on YOUR car...sure, ill have at it. But NOT this car. I want to paint this car and have it be nice for the rest of my life, so I want it done correctly. So ill strip it down to the shell myself and do all of the nut and bolt stuff. The welding, sanding, metal patching, priming, media basting, etc....im going to leave that to the pros.

Im waiting for your scramble resto thread.

Of course hes cute, he was built in a lab, they purified him, just like Arnold in twins! They told me he will have an FTP of 600 by age 11 or my money back!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I don't get your question about 1st or rev lower...

was it faster to drive in reverse? (higher gear ratio/less mechanical advantage)

To add - I had trouble with the throw from second to third with wide open throttle and tapping the clutch. I kept missing.. Miss it enough times and you sheer the sheer pins that hold the cogs in place. The gears would not engage after that.

breaking the pins is better than shredding the cogs - or missing a power shift and spinning a bearing (ugh) - fordomatic FTW - fast & faster in a nice auto package.

In order to fix the trans, I'd roll the car onto ramps, jack the back and sit it on jack stands, unbolt the trans and leave one or two bolts somewhat threaded in. Climb under the car, get the trans to rest on my chest and have my uncle undo the last couple threads of the bolts holding it to the motor. Then I would shimmy the trans away from the motor and let it rest on my chest while i'd wiggle out from under the car. (Red neck wrenching for sure). In high school, I didn't have much money so we figured it out..

absolutely! doing it alone, make a lever/fulcrum out of wood. stand on while removing the last bolts - wedge apart, slowly remove weight from board.....also bend cheap wrenches to get to bolts in weird places...

back to regular scheduled topic!

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Really cant remember if im 36, 37, or 38...37 I think. Thats what im going with. This age kinda sucks, im not even 40 in bike race years yet.

I had planned on riding the other night in the rain...I had the bike and the trailer on the car. I decided not too as I figured I would catch some shit for riding my son around in the trailer in the pouring rain. So I bought my trigger to work with my tonight and ill ride somewhere after work.

My mother came up from Florida...First time I have seen her on my birthday since 2004. I appreciate her honesty:

Me: so your driving all the way from Florida up to see me on my birthday?
Mom: HAHHAHAHA, as if...im coming to see my grandson..who cares about your birthday anymore.

2014-10-17.jpg

My mother is a little kooky after becoming a grandmother...Im sure this is a common occurrence.

She has driven up from Florida now 5 times in the 6 months my son has been around. This time she drove up a mountain of new clothes for him, one of those walker things for him to wheel around in, and last but not least

20141016_185302.jpg

My mom is one of those coupon people...so I now have enough laundry detergent for the next 500 years.

Ok OK, back to the car stuff

I got another hour or so in the garage last night. Whilst I listened to the Jets Pats game, I continued pulling the car apart. I want to take one last drive tomorrow, so I have not taken anything off the car yet to make it totally undriveable.

Not sure how my camera got switched to hipster, but I removed the rest of the valence
20141017_065311.jpg

This was interesting. This is the pan that goes under the front fog lights. It was replaced when my father repainted the car blue. Looks like he bought it new from teterboro ford, date says Jan 1975.

20141017_065330.jpg

I messed with the undercoating a bit on the car, this is behind the front wheel. Ultimately I want all of this shit gone and just want to paint this area with satin black. Good, or great news is that wherever I did this, there was clean steel behind it. This car really is amazingly rust free. Which will DRASTICLY reduce the costs involved in this project.

20141017_065455.jpg

One of my most favorite features of this car…When I was a little kid I used to sit on the edge of the seat at pull my head up over the dash so I could see the lights blink when my dad turned. I used to make sure he used the turn signals so I could watch the lights…..so what im trying to say is that im entertain by blinking lights.
20141016_194128.jpg

This weekend is HPCX, its probably my favorite cross race as it’s the one of the few course with some hills. But im skipping it this year…Going to ride the mountain bike, then I think im going to go to the Cradle of aviation museum and punish my wife and son with hours of looking at airplanes.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Holy shit, for real...I thought about my age on my birthday and I thought wrong...I kept thinking I was 37...like all day. Then I finally said wait a minute and mathed...Shit im 38. Whoops.

Birthday was good, me, my mother, wife and son went to dinner. Then I came home and my wife had bought me a ice cream cake from Denville dairy. Kick ass!

Oh and I got in a quick ride at hedden park/Dickerson mine friday night. Not a huge loop, but the orange trail at dickerson is really fun, very challenging. Jason, Mark + crew did a really good job on that.

Saturday I hit up stephens with Kirt. We got kinda lost and ended up at the fire tower...Missed some of the new stuff, but eventually made it to the maze, then over to deer park for a loop.

Then I went home and started working on the mustang for a bit. Figured I would do something simple in the short window I had. I pulled the car out and took it around the block for one last drive before I took it apart. Man im going to miss driving this car for a while. I did get a few looks driving a 67 mustang around that was half taken apart, but whatever. So I figured I would remove the drive train next....First the exhaust system. Easy enough....NOPE. The H pipe, mufflers and tail pipes have been on this car untouched since 2001...They werent welded together, but they were welded together. So that turned into 2 hours of heating, prying, twisting, etc...but I managed to get everything off undamaged.

One last run with the header open...going to miss this sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=Gi_HdEqlE_g

Sunday I met Woody, Kirt and Iggy at TOS for a ride to ringwood and back. We have done this loop probably 8000 times now, but it never seems to get any easier or old. It was tougher than usual with all of the leaves and tons of loose rock. We did it a little different this time, went in on red, climbed warm puppy, then did an out and back on the new stuff. Then went back out on red as well. Tough climb, but its over fast I feel. As opposed to going out on blue or yellow, easier but longer...not sure....its all tough. Ran into the whites on warm puppy and got to ride with them a bit. Now I think I have ridden warm puppy probably 30 times since it was built...sure enough, art showed us a line I had never seen before. Pays to ride with the godfather!
Finished up the ride in the usual ~3hr range, then headed home.

Family was out so I went back to the garage for a bit. Had a couple hours so I figured I would tackle the trans. And you need to tackle this trans as its a dinosaur from a by gone era.
20141019_162333.jpg

My mustang came with the cast iron case ford toploader. Cast iron, not aluminum like most transmission are made. They were UNGODLY heavy, 110lbs for a 4 speed manual is pretty crazy. However, they are legendary for being impossible to break. Mine has had its original gear oil changed once in 47 years, other than that, its untouched. Getting it out of the car is a great exercise is wrestling and bench pressing. The jack helps, but only so much.

Living dinosaur....cast iron, external shift linkage...Actually this transmission was built by tremec and not ford. Jericho made their own version of it...It then went on to be used in various for for nascar/drag racing and it still used today I believe.
20141019_170210.jpg

oh ya, cast iron bell housing too...this thing is about as heavy as a turret on a sherman tank :)
20141019_164828.jpg

Then I stripped the motor down to a point where I can now hook up the hoist and pull it. This takes about 8 minutes in my car.

20141019_220735.jpg

Now I just have to get the engine hoist and this can come out. That leaves the glass, gas tank, fenders. So its coming along.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
More mustang stuff.

After 4 days in a row of 2-3hr mtb rides, I figured I would take a day off. Plus if was my moms last night in town so we went out to dinner. Bought this new seat for robert...love it. Now I can eat with both hands while he smashes everything within his arm reach.
2014-10-21.jpg

Put child too sleep, returned to the garage. Back underneath the car tonight.....Funny story to go with this picture..

20141019_170446.jpg

These are two dents in the rear floor of the car, directly above the rear end side of the driveshaft. When i was a little kid, maybe 6? Pretty sure I was 6 or 7....My dad takes me out for a ride in the car...it was a special occasion, maybe my birthday bc I remember it being cold. We go for a drive around the neighborhood and eventually to the end of a new cul de sac they had just built...no houses yet...He turns around then drops the hammer....BOOM! U joint snap, driveshaft slams into the floor than back onto the ground. Scared the crap out of me. We park the car, then my dad and I walk home. I had forgotten how it got fixed, or what happened until many many years later. In fact not until around ~2001 when I had finally removed the original driveshaft.

My father used to cut a corner or two....so rather then see if the driveshaft was damaged, he just fixed the U joint, put the driveshaft back in...done. I never really noticed it until we drove the car to Utah but it had a WICKED vibration. I just thought all old cars did this. Then when I got the car and starting driving it...it was apparent something was not right. During the time I had the motor out, I noticed that the trans mount holes were now ovaled out....the pinion bearing was SHOT...so I took the drive shaft to a shop to have checked...He informed me that it was now a twisty straw as driveshafts go. So due to a corner cut...I had to have the transmount welded, replace the pinion bearing, trans tailshaft seal, and have an entirely new driveshaft made. Perfectly smooth again. But everytime I see these dents in the floor I get a flashback to that day....Sitting in the passenger seat trying to see over the dash..then my dad gunning the car and going flying backwards for a second...then the bang. Remember it like it was yesterday.

One new and funny development to this story came when i got in touch with my dads old friend who was with him when he bought the car and helped him get it back on the road ~1975. He had told me all of the mechanical bits they replaced...One of the things he remembered my dad being too cheap to replace was the worn u joints....then he asks me "hey did you ever replace those?" lol. Anyway, so the dent in the floor always reminds me NOT to cut corners and make sure you check everything.

So moving along...I also pulled the gas tank. look...METAL!
20141022_070352.jpg

As far as I can tell this has never been out of the car, pretty sure judging by the seal around it. Car is now see through
20141022_070249.jpg

I think this is one of my favorite details of my 67. Love the flip open gas cap...I really love small details like this on 60s cars. This took some effort to design and make. Especially when you consider that a 67 mustang was mass produced car...472,000 made in 1967 mass produced. Yet, you could still get cool details like this. Its all part of the experience of an old car...The feel of the metal, the sound it makes when you flip the switch, love it.

20141022_070232.jpg

Thats all for today...tune in tomorrow for more boring shit :)

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So...you need to re-enact the blowing of drive shaft when Robert turns 6. If he fails to diagnose problem correctly you'll have to apply some negative reinforcement.

and its a good thing someone like Pearl didn't inherit this car. He would have sold it years ago since he would not have been able to figure out the bent drive shaft was causing the car to drive like shit.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
also when Robert turns 6 you'll have to teach him how to drive a motorcycle in the living room.

Top Bottom