Shimano's AXS competitor coming soon?

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
Sooo.... can we expect something from Shimano to get into the Di2 for mtb game? May be too much to ask given the lack of supply of their current stuff as it is.

tonyride

Isn't XTR more compatible with XX1 and that's only a 11-speed derailleur and much narrower cassette range (up to 11x46)? I'm talking AXS which is GX Eagle (12-speed) level where for $600 you can get the shifter, derailleur, battery, and charger. So maybe something at the XT or even SLX 12-speed level.

Last edited:

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Isn't XTR more compatible with XX1 and that's only a 11-speed derailleur? I'm talking AXS which is GX Eagle (12-speed) level where for $600 you can get the shifter, derailleur, battery, and charger. So maybe something at the XT or even SLX 12-speed level.

AXS is available at gx, xx1 and x01 levels . . . . and the gx is relatively recent (a year or so iirc)

tonyride

AXS is available at gx, xx1 and x01 levels . . . . and the gx is relatively recent (a year or so iirc)
Yup, all are 12-speed so I'm wondering if Shimano will compete with the $600 AXS GX kit that SRAM has been selling a year. Nothing Shimano has is for a 12 speed cassette.

Last edited:

jackx

The newly released 12-speed Shimano Di2 Dura-Ace and Ultegra for road is wireless for shifters but both derailleurs are still wired to a battery in the seat tube.

I’m thinking that there isn’t room in the seat tube for a long battery as well as a dropper post with hydraulic hose or cable for an MTB system.

tonyride

The newly released 12-speed Shimano Di2 Dura-Ace and Ultegra for road is wireless for shifters but both derailleurs are still wired to a battery in the seat tube.

I’m thinking that there isn’t room in the seat tube for a long battery as well as a dropper post with hydraulic hose or cable for an MTB system.
Right, I understand they have wireless shifting for road bikes. I'm talking mountain bikes only. Nothing against SRAM but I always like competition. That's what usually drives quality up and prices down.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
The Shimano system is still a bit convoluted compared to AXS. The advantages of cable less shifting aren't there. With AXS you take a single derailleur cable off the bike and replace it with nothing. With Shimano that same derailleur cable gets replaced with an internal battery, 2 junction boxes, and a wire loom of problems waiting to happen. You'll also need a dedicated laptop from 1995 to run E Tube Project and update the system because they're a bit behind the times.

bergsnj

Seems like Shimano is behind the times. They were years behind SRAM to bring a 12 speed drivetrain with a wide range cassette. And still have nothing to compete with SRAM on the wireless shifting or dropper post. I guess they make nice fishing reels though.

Reactions: w_b

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Seems like Shimano is behind the times.

They have been one step behind no doubt. Maybe they’re more focused on their fishing reels? 🎣

With that said, If I was looking for a 12 speed mechanical drivetrain for my MTB, and XTR was more readily available, I’d run it. I think the performance between the 2 is pretty negligible.

I also think in certain applications, a 46t cassette with smaller jumps would be better than a 52t with bigger jumps.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Yup, all are 12-speed so I'm wondering if Shimano will compete with the $600 AXS GX kit that SRAM has been selling a year. Nothing Shimano has is for a 12 speed cassette.
You can of course run an axs der with an otherwise All Shimano 12 speed drivetrain.

I’ve found that this works best if you run the Shimano chain and cass

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You can of course run an axs der with an otherwise All Shimano 12 speed drivetrain.

I have to wonder how many people blow up their Shimano derailleur, can't find a replacement and then end up running the SRAM/Shimano mix.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have to wonder how many people blow up their Shimano derailleur, can't find a replacement and then end up running the SRAM/Shimano mix.

A quick Google tells me it's not hard to find a Shimano derailleur. Slx 12 speed seems easy to find.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Maybe they’re more focused on their fishing reels? 🎣

The Company has a "too many cooks in the kitchen" issue. Sram has an Engineering room with 4 dudes in it, Shimano has a building the size of NJ that only works on shifting ramp profiles. Sit in a room and get anyone to agree on anything, it takes a while.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is it possible that shimano has spent most of the engineering time on the Ebike ep8 motor and beyond?

tonyride

Yeah, I thought about that. I was just wondering if it is worth it to use Shimano's E-Tube with my Garmin since I've already had to connect them with my new bike. Now that I think about it I don't see much advantage in keeping it all Shimano if and when I'm ready to upgrade/replace the drive.

Top Bottom