Shimano XT 12 Speed Cassette, Adhesive Ring?

serviceguy

I'm upgrading my Fugitive to the 12 speed XT shifter/derailleur/cassette/chain combo and realized that my 10-51 cassette came without the adhesive ring that is mentioned in the exploded view I downloaded from the Shimano website.

Since my cassette was taken out of the box and shipped to me by my mother I am not 100% she wouldn't notice a small rubber ring falling off the box .

Is it necessary, is it a real thing, do I need it and where do I source it?

xt cd-m8100-12.JPG

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I'm upgrading my Fugitive to the 12 speed XT shifter/derailleur/cassette/chain combo and realized that my 10-51 cassette came without the adhesive ring that is mentioned in the exploded view I downloaded from the Shimano website.

Since my cassette was taken out of the box and shipped to me by my mother I am not 100% she wouldn't notice a small rubber ring falling off the box .

Is it necessary, is it a real thing, do I need it and where do I source it?

View attachment 152067
I watched a video that talked about this, let me see if I can find it...I think on the Xt it is pre installed.

serviceguy

I watched a video that talked about this, let me see if I can find it...
Please tell me I don't need to place another order for an impossible part to find...I'm already upset for beheading one of the bolts on my OneUp Switch carrier trying to loosen it from the wrong side. I'm such an idiot!:smh:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

I watched a number of videos and coudnt find the one with the sticker. IIRC, it was preinstalled on the XT and you had to install it for deore and SLX. None of the other videos say thing thing about it. Watch the attached video starting at 3:48, some nifty tips on installing it the first time, as there are some differences in the spacers and how the smallest two cogs align.

serviceguy

I watched a number of videos and coudnt find the one with the sticker. IIRC, it was preinstalled on the XT and you had to install it for deore and SLX. None of the other videos say thing thing about it. Watch the attached video starting at 3:48, some nifty tips on installing it the first time, as there are some differences in the spacers and how the smallest two cogs align.

Your comment prompted me to look for a video (I guess my brain was not issued with a self-starting option) and found this...

The video compares the XTR cassette to the XT/SLX cassette. Turns out the thin plastic ring supposed to prevent creaking is already attached to the back of the cassette for XT and SLX (it's adhesive, duh) while it's separate in the XTR cassette. I guess because peasants...

Well, try and guess that from the official Shimano exploded view. I had to take the cassette off the wheel and check, it's there. Yay. I'm still an idiot.
xt cd-m8100-12-full.JPG

Karate Monkey

It used to be loose, and they kept falling out of the packages when they were opened. Shimano did everyone a favor by sticking it on. If you see a different part number from the current XTR production, that was the original one without spacer. The new number just means that it includes a spacer...actual cassette is no different.

By the way, they're aware that they sometimes go missing--like, very sometimes; you can almost guarantee that if something isn't in a Shimano package, it's because someone removed it, not that they forgot it--and if you have a shop call, they can send one out.

Top Bottom