shimano snow shoes?

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
last week end we were out in allamuchy south (deer park section)

much to my chagrin during the 2-3 hour ride i did not get my shimamo spd cleats clipped into the pedal at all

maybe that's a good thing

i was wearing standard shimano, lace up shoes, with shimano pedals that have "cheater padding". rubber around the medal that allows you to cycle with regular sneakers

i dunno if this worstened the snow getting stuck in the shoe, or made it harder to get the shoe in the cleat

another seasoned mtb had a different mtb system, the other cyclists looked liked they were okay w/clipping in the shoes in the beggining of the ride but towards the end the might have commented at the malfunction

• two quick fixes are to put pedals w/o extra padding on the mtb for snow use
  • use sneakiers on the padded pedals

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
shimano spd in snow

so whats the question about Shimano winter shoes?

my inquiry was regarding snow getting stuck in the bottom of the mtb shoes, cleats and pedal

the pedals i have on my giant yukon have rubber around them

at this point, i may abandon the shimano w/cleats and just use sneakers w/spd padded pedal

or

replace pedal w/ones that don't have the extra rubber

that being said

on a recent ride in snow covered trail, a cyclist had a different system

can i say "road bike pedal" w/o getting put in the dump?

okay, are road pedals better in the snow?

road pedals just sat no

i can't afford another pedal system

maybe just use sneakers? or try pedal w/o rubber padding?

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
snow woes

old style tire irons would be better than a cooking utensil, but i'm looking for an intervention free way of cycling in the snow

if the shoe didn't touch the snow, no worries mate

yet i put the feet down now and again

tripod turns have been listed as legal mtb technique (in a recent mtb technique book)

yet on a recent mtb ride, someone said "no dabs" as if you're not allowed to put your feet down

so in addition to not knowing what to put on the feet in the snow mtb

are you allowed to put feet to ground while mtb?

while r*ad cycling, it is strictly forbidden and r*adies have banned me from their rides for use of the illicit tripod turn

Last edited:

sixseven

old style tire irons would be better than a cooking utensil, but i'm looking for an intervention free way of cycling in the snow

tripod turns have been listed as legal mtb technique (in a recent mtb technique book)

yet on a recent mtb ride, someone said "no dabs" as if you're not allowed to put your feet down

while r*ad cycling, it is strictly forbidden and r*adies have banned me from their rides for use of the illicit tripod turn

Dude it's just a bike. Ride how you want, if someone says 'no dabs' tell them to suck it.

Being banned from road riding...that is possibly the gayest thing I have ever heard of. Did they make you turn in your spandex?

"legal mtb technique"...sounds like you may be a troll.

If not, get some a pair of 8$ rat trap pedals and whatever sneakers you have and just go ride. It doesn't take much to have a good time.

xc62701

Try these:
http://crankbrothers.com/eggbeater.php

Use the shoes like normal and if they load up tap your shoe on the pedal or tree and ride.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
I use shimanos and lake winter shoes. Have ridden a lot of snow and icy days. If shit builds up on bottom of shoe, smash it repeatedly on your pedal like you have a pair and dont care much for your pedals. You will clip in every time.

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
great minds think alike

Dude it's just a bike. Ride how you want, if someone says 'no dabs' tell them to suck it.

Being banned from road riding...that is possibly the gayest thing I have ever heard of. Did they make you turn in your spandex?

"legal mtb technique"...sounds like you may be a troll.

If not, get some a pair of 8$ rat trap pedals and whatever sneakers you have and just go ride. It doesn't take much to have a good time
you da man!

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Though I've never witnessed the technique, 'dabbing' or using a 'tripod turn'(sounds gross) while riding in a paceline would certainly be reason to be banned from the paceline. Such a move would be extremely erratic and unexpected and could force the bike to slide out from under the rider. In any group ride where each rider relies on the technique of all the others for safety, unexpected and erratic moves cause crashes. Placing a foot down to turn could be deadly for more than just the fool who does it.

Dabbing is fine in MTBing. So is shouldering and running, using trees for balance and even for maneuvering through tight areas. As long as you ride within your level and capabilities while being mindful not to jeopardize others, anything goes.

Anyone who needs to place a foot down to turn on a road ride really needs to get back to training wheels and relearn the whole balance thing before attempting to ride in a group and jeopardize the lives of others.

Ask someone to turn in their spandex?
I, for one, would never, ever want anybody's used, sweaty workout duds.
http://www.btcnj.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=5341 <Trust me, put down the coffee first.

Last edited:

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
wrong forum

this is a mtb forum

i really don't like to discuss r*ad cycling here

if you wanna see the jersey in question

check out that other club's next time trial

i hope to be wearing it!

btw: i don'y usuually use tripond turns, on r@ad cycling mostly because r@adies don't expect it which makes it unsafe,

i just ran a 10k in bergen county at night, granted nearly a full moon, safety is half luck + half common sense, but no tripod turn on the r@adie group ride, please

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
this is a mtb forum
i really don't like to discuss r*ad cycling here

Gee, sorry JK. You're right, I shouldn't have brought up road cycling.
I guess I misinterpreted what you said here:
on a recent ride in snow covered trail, a cyclist had a different system
can i say "road bike pedal" w/o getting put in the dump?
okay, are road pedals better in the snow?
road pedals just sat no
i can't afford another pedal system
maybe just use sneakers? or try pedal w/o rubber padding?

here:
and here:

if you wanna see the jersey in question
check out that other club's next time trial
i hope to be wearing it!

btw: i don'y usuually use tripond turns, on r@ad cycling mostly because r@adies don't expect it which makes it unsafe,

i just ran a 10k in bergen county at night, granted nearly a full moon, safety is half luck + half common sense, but no tripod turn on the r@adie group ride, please
I'll be real careful from now on and I'll try not to talk about 10k's, tri's or running either.
OK?

And for the jersey, I saw the picture on the post. I don't need to go any further.
Seeing it in person would give me the skeevie jeebies knowing where it came from.

Last edited:
Top Bottom