jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
da heap

i'm just looking for a solution to mtb in the snow

i got two solutions

$8 rat trap pedals

egg beaters

the stuff about the clothes, i don't get

people buy used bike clothes everyday (ebay)

in fact the guy that banned me from the r@ad ride, sold me a boat load of his old jersey's that he didn't wear anymore

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
this is a mtb forum

i really don't like to discuss r*ad cycling here

if you wanna see the jersey in question

check out that other club's next time trial

i hope to be wearing it!

btw: i don'y usuually use tripond turns, on r@ad cycling mostly because r@adies don't expect it which makes it unsafe,

i just ran a 10k in bergen county at night, granted nearly a full moon, safety is half luck + half common sense, but no tripod turn on the r@adie group ride, please

Son, there is a stiff penalty for posting drunk around these parts. Please park your computer for awhile:cool:

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
don't drive drink?

haven't been drinking since my last accident in may

my formular for safe cycling may not be 100% accurate, but common sense and luck do play a role

also even with the wild card charachter '*', robots can tell what r*ad cycling is

23 C cycling will be harder to decipher.

that being said, i didn't get to wayway today, and try some of the anti-snow techniques for the pedals

they said it was mostly ice up in waya, and i was ice skating last weekend

supermike

It sounds like you'd be good with a set of cheap BMX style flat pedals for the winter. You can pick up a set for around $20-$25 pretty much anywhere.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
haven't been drinking since my last accident in may

my formular for safe cycling may not be 100% accurate, but common sense and luck do play a role

also even with the wild card charachter '*', robots can tell what r*ad cycling is

23 C cycling will be harder to decipher.

that being said, i didn't get to wayway today, and try some of the anti-snow techniques for the pedals

they said it was mostly ice up in waya, and i was ice skating last weekend

This guy is my new favorite, it's like reading a MadLib!! You just can't make this stuff up:rofl:

-Jim.

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
bmx pedals for a 20 spot

thanks for the suggestion

Wellgo ATB / BMX pedal were spotted on the web for a 20 spot

these will also work great for sprint tri's when the time you loose in t1 & t2 aren't worth the advantages of the changing shoes

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
last week end we were out in allamuchy south (deer park section)

much to my chagrin during the 2-3 hour ride i did not get my shimamo spd cleats clipped into the pedal at all

maybe that's a good thing

i was wearing standard shimano, lace up shoes, with shimano pedals that have "cheater padding". rubber around the medal that allows you to cycle with regular sneakers

i dunno if this worstened the snow getting stuck in the shoe, or made it harder to get the shoe in the cleat

another seasoned mtb had a different mtb system, the other cyclists looked liked they were okay w/clipping in the shoes in the beggining of the ride but towards the end the might have commented at the malfunction

• two quick fixes are to put pedals w/o extra padding on the mtb for snow use
  • use sneakiers on the padded pedals

The old Shimano pedals do pack up some with snow. The new XT XTR are better, but don't buy new pedals just for snow. I have heard that crank bros egg beaters clear well, but have not spent too much time on them myself. Some things I have done over the years:

Before a snow ride give the pedals a spritz of lube or WD40. Try not to put your feet down, will work too, but I know in snow that may not be possible. The bang the feet on the pedals to clear snow works too. The world is not perfect, but making things in life work and having fun is perfection! :)

Good luck on your next snow ride!

jkmacman

Complete Nonsense
something for everyone!

thanks for wishing me well on my next snow ride!

today we rode allaire, and we had perfect conditions except for a cupple of pockets of mud

i was checking out everyones shoes more than some check out the minolo bloneks

we did 2 loops w/ 6 or 7 on each loop and everyone had a different system

• pedal w/toe clip
  • bmx pedals
  • shimano spd
  • egg beaters

we even had a pro join us for loop one, he had on sidi's but not spd nor road system

he was very willing to share his wealth of knowledge, and recommended i pump some air into my rear suspension system

he told me it might be hard to get my median weight of 165 into the "shock" but i could try and hopefulle educate myself a bit more

others mentioned pros and cons of different system

egg beaters, good for some, but (me) a resident of north jersey, the rocks up here, could easily damage the egg beaters

the bmx pedals, snow could accumulate, and although some pairs are $20, expect to pay closer to $60 for a better pair

since i am a newbie mtb and 'dab' happy, i hope to pick up some $20 bmx pedals this week

some one said going from the 'clip-in' spd clete to the bmx pedal is a step back

but for a 20 spot, i feel i can take one stop back and 1 and 1/2 or hopefully 2 steps forward

thank you

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
please forgive this post but all I could do was a lil'John "WHAT???"
now that this is out of my system I have been using the spd cleat/pedels for a while and like everyone else just a quick thump tends to clear the muck and stuff from my shoes the pedels kind of keep themselves clean.
if you have not rode clipless yet the difference is night and day.

sixseven

thanks for wishing me well on my next snow ride!

today we rode allaire, and we had perfect conditions except for a cupple of pockets of mud

i was checking out everyones shoes more than some check out the minolo bloneks

we did 2 loops w/ 6 or 7 on each loop and everyone had a different system

• pedal w/toe clip
  • bmx pedals
  • shimano spd
  • egg beaters

we even had a pro join us for loop one, he had on sidi's but not spd nor road system

he was very willing to share his wealth of knowledge, and recommended i pump some air into my rear suspension system

he told me it might be hard to get my median weight of 165 into the "shock" but i could try and hopefulle educate myself a bit more

others mentioned pros and cons of different system

egg beaters, good for some, but (me) a resident of north jersey, the rocks up here, could easily damage the egg beaters

the bmx pedals, snow could accumulate, and although some pairs are $20, expect to pay closer to $60 for a better pair

since i am a newbie mtb and 'dab' happy, i hope to pick up some $20 bmx pedals this week

some one said going from the 'clip-in' spd clete to the bmx pedal is a step back

but for a 20 spot, i feel i can take one stop back and 1 and 1/2 or hopefully 2 steps forward

thank you

Sounds too expensive and complicated. Factor into that a certain amount of risk and the possible price of catastrophic failure...you might end up like this guy>>>>>:confused:
Another option would be ice skates.

BiknBen

while r*ad cycling, it is strictly forbidden and r*adies have banned me from their rides for use of the illicit tripod turn

Team MTBNJ was out practicing our "Tripod turns" today. We want to make sure we are able to keep up with Jakman.

CIMG5004Small.jpg

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
:hysterica:hysterica

Ben,:hysterica oh, Ben, you're killing me!!!!

You know damned well a tripod turn requires contact with the sod by the pod.
Anything else is simply roadie ballet.

Now, can I get a video of that please?

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
That is too funny:hysterica:hysterica:hysterica

Tripod turns are illicit, and like the lambada, are forbidden!

ArmyOfNone

We figured if everyone in the group was doing it, we couldnt get banned from the group or road cycling.

This is an advanced technique ladies and gents, so PLEASE do not try this at home.

Top Bottom