Shimano SLX Group

MST.ESQ

What is the verdict on SLX? The 09' prices are being posted now that Interbike is over and along with the spike in pricing - companies are starting to put more SLX components on the mid-range builds at prices at or above an 08' XT build...

Does anyone have any SLX components on their bike?

Your collective thoughts?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
What is the verdict on SLX? The 09' prices are being posted now that Interbike is over and along with the spike in pricing - companies are starting to put more SLX components on the mid-range builds at prices at or above an 08' XT build...

Does anyone have any SLX components on their bike?

Your collective thoughts?

SLX Cranks are supposed to be Way stiffer and stronger yet only slightly heavier than XT.

MST.ESQ

Just when I decided to settle on an XT build, they go and change the product groups to Deore-XT, SLX, etc.

How do the groups stack up with the old ones? XTR is still XTR, but what about the rest? Name change only, are is it apples to oranges at this point?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Mountain Bike magazine had a little write-up a month ago about the SLX. The stuff look pretty nice. They are tagging as a more affordable XT line and it has replaced LX. The shadow rear derail technology trickled down to this group and I am really happy with my XT version. In line with the industry trends, it seems to be built to take more abuse, which is nice for durability reasons with not too much of a weight penalty. The stuff looks nice too and probably performs as good or better than XT from a few years ago. But I have no personal experience with the group but the newer XT (cranks,rear derail, shifters) are mighty nice and I would have to think SLX follows suit.

Order: XTR, XT, SLX, below that, upgrade to one of these.

THATmanMANNY

I read that article too. It was good.

The SLX group is cross country fast but they also said it will be on all mountain because they are tough and can take a beating. The old XT is now the SLX, etc..

beachwoodbikes

Shop: Beachwood Bikes
Shop Keep
SLX Group

The SLX is a attempt to combine the Shimano Hone Groupo with the workhorse semi-lightweight LX Groupo. There will be no more LX or Hone going forward, just SLX. I had the opportunity to ride this group as a complete kit on quite a few bikes at Interbike 2008 and it was great. The shifting is super crisp, and much more positive than LX and the weight is well within the XC realm with loads more durability. Overall a killer component group that is a much more refined and equally priced alternative to the SRAM X-9 or X-7. Shimano definately proved that even midlevel components can generate alot of buzz and desireability.

Top Bottom