Shades

OneTrackMind

I've had this nagging question for sometime now. Here are the two extremes from the same website; $10 vs. $170. Besides the most obvious question, (why?!?) is there a functional middle ground? The purpose of course is eye-protection. I've had my cheeks and forehead snagged by branches a few time already. Don't wanna take many more chances. I'm also looking for something orange or yellow that allows more light in. Thanks in anticipation.

doofus

Well, the major diff in these 2 glasses is that the Giro's have interchangable lenses, and of course, they have a big brand name.
I never buy good glasses as they either get lost, scratched up, or broken.
I look through all the big mail order co's (Nashbar, Performance, CBO) for their house brand glasses, or last year's styles or colors.
I never pay more than $25 for a pair, even with interchangeable lenses.
Shop around.
Lenny

I typically buy the nice pair of glasses because I have had a hard time scratching up the pair of Specialized sunglasses that I have for over 5 years. Other pairs that I bought for cheaper I have retired them after one season.

ChrisRU

I feel the same way as doofus, I can't justify spending alot on riding glasses since there is a good likely hood they will get lost or broken. I did however try a few real cheap-o ($10) glasses and found the the cheapness and distortion in the lenses gave me headaches.

I picked up a set of these http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/18...6-Eyewear/Sette-Eyewear-Vexx3-w_-3-Lenses.htm and have no complaints. For $20 they are excellent, and I won't feel bad if something happens to them.

THATmanMANNY

I like the Optic Nerves brand type glasses. Not too much but not too cheap. Photochromatic lenses and all that other sport glass protection yada yada yada. Like $40 on sale here and there.

martin

yup i just got the ones Chris did... they're neat

the lenses are a bit of a bish to swap but maybe i'm doing it wrong =]

RNG1

I agree with Doofus too, and not just because I like the sound of that. I have an inexpensive pair with the interchangeables too like the last few pair I have bought over the years but that is only because I like the way the orange lenses make the terrain look. I personally find this color the best for improving visibility but that is just me. I don't usually see the non interchangeables in just orange.

OneTrackMind

Wow! Thanks for all the replies. The $10 distortion was something I hadn't thought of before. I was also wondering whether there's a difference as to how they shatter if they ever happen to shatter. Whether the cheaper one leaves sharp edges while the more expensive ones come loose perhaps. I don't know, perhaps I'm over-thinking this one. Thanks again.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just for S&G, and because I went to RU and really liked Pulp Fiction, I bought the ones Chris linked above. I also added a $5 pair of Sette foam grips since they looks just like the pork rinds and I think they're the best grip you can get. Something like 1 ounce for the pair.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sette foam grips since they looks just like the pork rinds and I think they're the best grip you can get. Something like 1 ounce for the pair.

I didn't like these & have 2 pairs if you want them. I'll stick to my ESI Racers.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i wear a set of natives, cant beat their warranty either, if they break they will be replaced for $30 :O pretty good deal IMO, o and if they dont make your frame any more they will replace em with a current frame of your choosing :D

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
For me, cheap sunglasses are like buying a $4k camera body and putting a $90 tamron lens on it. I had a handful of >$40 sunglasses over the last few years, but I upgraded to some oakleys and I can't believe I didnt do it sooner. They refuse to scratch, water doesnt bead up as bad, the amount of lens options is staggering and the optics are really, truly the best I have looked through. The Giro glasses are really nice too, with the zeiss lenses, they are on the same level as oakley.

BiknBen

I can't justify spending alot on riding glasses since there is a good likely hood they will get lost or broken.

If you spend a couple hundred on glasses you tend to pay attention and not break or lose them. ;)

I'm a big Oakley fan. I have frames and lenses of all sorts. I'm not into their goofy stuff. They have plenty of other functional and fashionable glasses that are tops in quality. Thier optics and lens choice/interchangeability is second to none.

Last edited:

brybry57

For me, cheap sunglasses are like buying a $4k camera body and putting a $90 tamron lens on it. I had a handful of >$40 sunglasses over the last few years, but I upgraded to some oakleys and I can't believe I didnt do it sooner. They refuse to scratch, water doesnt bead up as bad, the amount of lens options is staggering and the optics are really, truly the best I have looked through. The Giro glasses are really nice too, with the zeiss lenses, they are on the same level as oakley.

being a camera guy I was going to make this reference, glasses are all about the optics oakley does a great deal of research on this, and it is so worth it, I have the purple / white jawbones, best glasses I have ever worn hands down, down to the pivots clean up and fit

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
You only get one shot with your eyes. I have been wearing Oakley glasses since high school and I doubt I will ever wear another brand.

With optics rivaling any brand there simply is no better way to treat the only two eyeball you are getting in this lifetime.

After wearing O brand glasses the others will notably strain your eyes and potentially cause headaches. Really.

At the trade shows Oakley typically brings this skull that shoots a laser out of each eye. The 2 lasers are aimed at a fixed point on the wall. You can take any pair of oakleys (I tried my own tired pair) and put them on the skull. The 2 lasers never move. When you put on any other brand of glasses the two lasers are shot in different directions. Basically Oakley puts the time in on optics before the fashion. Very few other brands do this.

http://www.oakley.com/innovation/optical_superiority/hdo

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
picked up oakleys last year, never looked back....One of the best things is that they fit into bell helemts perfectly and never move when you don't want to wear em.

Top Bottom