Series I Savings Bonds...7.12% interest...sort of hard to pass up

pygmypony

i just put a little bit of our savings into one of these. i don't think many people realize these even exist, but it's a pretty sweet deal
  • 7.12% interest for the next 6 months
  • the rate changes based upon CPI every 6 months. the next rate change is in April
  • you can purchase up to $10K / calendar year / individual (so you and a spouse can buy $10K each)...and you can buy one in December, and another in January and still get that sweet 7.12%
  • you can put another $5K of your Fed Tax refund toward them as well
  • they earn interest for 30 years
  • you cannot cash out before 1 year
  • after 1 year, if you cash out prior to 5 years, you forfeit the last 3 months of interest
  • after 5 years, you can cash out penalty free
  • oh, and state and local tax free, and fed tax free if you use proceeds for higher ed - and you don't pay taxes until you cash out

w_b

gotta be a catch? If not, gotta buy these for my Dad.... He's chasing interest on savings accounts right now :eek:

JerseyPete

gotta be a catch? If not, gotta buy these for my Dad.... He's chasing interest on savings accounts right now :eek:
Is he willing to tie up his money for 15 months? Unless I read wrong, can't cash out for a year, and after that you lose 3 months interest.
It does sound like there must be a catch other than the 10K limit.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Isn't the danger/concern that they drop down to a base rate interest that's very low? Not a huge deal if cashing out in 2 years however the base rate I believe is 0.0% on I-Bonds being issued now.

pygmypony

no catch, other than the one year lock up and then forfeiture of 3 months interest until you hold for 5 years. and that's not really a catch per-se...just the terms of the bond you are buying

as part of one's overall savings plan, these are pretty solid in my view...i'm going to start "laddering" a some of these so they become fully liquid on an annual basis

the other caveat is, the 7.12% is only effective for the first 6 months. Come the next reset date, if inflation somehow goes to ZERO, your interest for the next 6 months will be ZERO, but you will still have earned 3.56% (7.12%/2) for the first year

pygmypony

Isn't the danger/concern that they drop down to a base rate interest that's very low? Not a huge deal if cashing out in 2 years however the base rate I believe is 0.0% on I-Bonds being issued now.
and yep, that's correct, the base rate is ZERO...so, that is a possibility. see math in prior post however, and, if you did decide to cash out after a year, with 6 months at 7.12% and another 6 months at ZERO, the three months of interest you would be forfeiting would be ZERO.

in short, if you think inflation is going to stick around for a bit, these are probably a good place to stash some cash

it's either this or stablecoin

Top Bottom