Semi Roadie Content

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The bottom line is that on a road bike the things that hardly bother you on the mt bike will soon drive you nuts. You have little to think about while riding other than how the click in your BB is driving you crazy or how it always seem like you are reaching for the hoods.

This is an understatement. The road bike brings out small demons you never knew you had.

PedalPaddles

I use Speedplay Zero’s on the road. I have not used any other brand road pedal, so I don’t have any good comparisons. The Speedplays will rock laterally when the cleat wears out. The cleats wear more quickly when they are dirty. There are a few simple things you can do to make the cleats last longer, or wear out more slowly.

• Do not walk around in them without using the clear covers (about $12). This will keep dirt out of the cleat and give you decent walking traction.
• Do not drag your foot when stopping and do not “kick” with your free foot when starting out.
• Service the cleats periodically by taking them apart to clean and lube them with Pedro’s Ice Wax.
• Lube them before each ride by applying Pedro’s Ice Wax to the contact points with a spare toothbrush.

I’ve seen many riders walk into the woods for a nature break and pack their cleats with dirt and sand. Then ride another 40 miles grinding down the cleat with each pedal stroke.
Now that I think about it, they are sort of “high maintenance”.
I do like the double sided entry and light weight.

Cleat position:
I moved my cleat back a few millimeters last summer. I feel like I have a little more power and the shoes feel a lot more stable.

Demons???
They are always with me.

Top Bottom