Selling a used car

xc62701

I made a deal to sell my wife’s old car to another couple with a college kid. The transaction will be cash. I know I need to sign over the title and give a bill of sale. My question is, does the bill of sale need to be notarized? The mvc site doesn’t mention it. Please ket me know if you have any experience as I’m doing this deal this afternoon. Thanks!

iman29

I made a deal to sell my wife’s old car to another couple with a college kid. The transaction will be cash. I know I need to sign over the title and give a bill of sale. My question is, does the bill of sale need to be notarized? The mvc site doesn’t mention it. Please ket me know if you have any experience as I’m doing this deal this afternoon. Thanks!
No it does not have to be notarized. I would make 2 sets of documents and be sure to include the wording As Is, Final Sale, No Warranty just to protect yourself.

I have done a few cash sales like this and found an online basic bill of sale template to use.

Just be careful with the title and how you sign it you only get one shot so read it carefully before everyone signs it.

xc62701

No it does not have to be notarized. I would make 2 sets of documents and be sure to include the wording As Is, Final Sale, No Warranty just to protect yourself.

I have done a few cash sales like this and found an online basic bill of sale template to use.

Just be careful with the title and how you sign it you only get one shot so read it carefully before everyone signs it.
Ok good to know with the bill of sale. As far as I know I’m just going to sign the back of the title and put the mileage in. The rest is up to the buyer to take care of.

w_b

The last 3 cars I sold for cash I had the signed title. They weren’t even my cars. Got the cash, gave them the keys and title. That’s it.

edit; forgot the take the old plates off part.

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
non titled, plated things - ie trailers need a notarized letter and a copy of the previous registration in NJ.
otherwise ya gotta go to PA, register it at your cousin's house, the transfer to NJ.
;)

iman29

Make sure you sign the back of the title in the correct spot. It can cause ass ache at the DMV for re-titling it.
this. ask me how i know especially if youre the buyer. on a good note I found out via that experience they can reprint one right at the DMV, dont have to snail mail anything to Trenton anymore.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
non titled, plated things - ie trailers need a notarized letter and a copy of the previous registration in NJ.
otherwise ya gotta go to PA, register it at your cousin's house, the transfer to NJ.
;)

or vt they'll plate anything and you never need to register it in nj or have someone who lives in vt

Top Bottom