Seeking advice on where to move to in Jersey...

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
My wife and I are beginning to tire of our increasingly bleak future regarding NYC real estate, and thinking of making the migration to the garden state. Although I'm in jersey often, mostly it's just the ride to the ride. Whether it's driving to Ringwood or Allaire or a cross race, I don't have a lot of time actually spent in the many towns I've driven through. So I'm interested in any suggestions of towns that might appeal to a cyclist who wants a yard for his dog. My wife will have to commute to union square so unfortunately we can't go too far into the sticks, and I'll have to drive to work in Brooklyn for the time being. We don't have kids so schools don't matter. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm asking here because I respect the viewpoints of other grownups who choose to hurt themselves on bikes in the woods.

N.Y. to NJ is a nothing but a side step and you can throw batshit crazy Connecticut in there too.
No kids means get out of your comfort zone and make the real move to mtb gold and head west young man.

:) good luck, I would just move to your favorite park if you must.

Dover is great for commuting options and is close to many northern parks.

Plus, you will never run out of Spanish restaurant options.

If you don't want a McMansion and 5 plus acres of grass to cut, there are many nice homes in Dover near the Randolph border.

The shore, exit 117 down to exit 100 gives you close access to Hartshorne and Allaire. Chimney rock isn't too far either. The beach is great for fat bikes and some nice road riding options. I am in Hazlet but really like the Fair Haven area. Lots of other sport options and reasonable taxes(for New Jersey). 40 min ferry commute from Belford or Atlantic Highlands to NYC.

drive to brooklyn? ouch

get set up somewhere along the nj coastline - do the new ferry system (did that actually open on time?)

allenhurst, little silver, red bank

Freehold is a good option. Plenty of options for shopping, food, entertainment, and central to many great spots to ride. Allaire is 15 min, Clayton about 20 min or so, 6mile, Chimney Rock, and Hartshorne are about 30 min, Allamuchy and Ringwood about an hour or so. And don't forget you'll be about 20 min or so from the beach.

Freehold is a good option. Plenty of options for shopping, food, entertainment, and central to many great spots to ride. Allaire is 15 min, Clayton about 20 min or so, 6mile, Chimney Rock, and Hartshorne are about 30 min, Allamuchy and Ringwood about an hour or so. And don't forget you'll be about 20 min or so from the beach.
Plus there is the bus line up Rt. 9....

You'd have to be nuts to commute from freehold to the city.
Mt Son in Law did it for a year until he got his new position... I did the train to the city when I first started working I was living in Barneget about 3.5 hours one way...

Move to Essex! Taxes are high and mountain biking is illegal! What's not to love?

edit... I do know of a house going up for sale in Montclair which likes to think it's Brooklyn. Fenced yard, new bathrooms, yadda, yadda, yadda. LMK if you would like their contact info.

Last edited:
drive to brooklyn? ouch

get set up somewhere along the nj coastline - do the new ferry system (did that actually open on time?)

allenhurst, little silver, red bank

everyone is suggesting really long commutes to Brooklyn, I drive there a few days each month to see relatives. No way would I want to commute on weekdays from those cities.
I think Middlesex county may be your best choice. There's a train line from Edison and Metuchen which gets your wife into the city fairly easily and you can cut through SI via the Verrazano to Brooklyn

My wife and I are beginning to tire of our increasingly bleak future regarding NYC real estate, and thinking of making the migration to the garden state. Although I'm in jersey often, mostly it's just the ride to the ride. Whether it's driving to Ringwood or Allaire or a cross race, I don't have a lot of time actually spent in the many towns I've driven through. So I'm interested in any suggestions of towns that might appeal to a cyclist who wants a yard for his dog. My wife will have to commute to union square so unfortunately we can't go too far into the sticks, and I'll have to drive to work in Brooklyn for the time being. We don't have kids so schools don't matter. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm asking here because I respect the viewpoints of other grownups who choose to hurt themselves on bikes in the woods.
print a map, figure out your max transit you want via ferry/train/bus to their service areas and post it back up(or draw on the google map). variability of opinions is too great for your question because everyone's tolerance is different.

I think Middlesex county may be your best choice. There's a train line from Edison and Metuchen which gets your wife into the city fairly easily and you can cut through SI via the Verrazano to Brooklyn
Second this. The driving into Brooklyn part is the tough one to accommodate, particularly if your commute is during peak.

I assume you're planning to rent? I'd try the area before you buy.

We're in Passaic county and I think that's a great centrally located area with lots of amenities. Not the upper part of the county like West Milford but lower, like Totowa, Woodland Park, Wayne, Haledon, Hawthorne. Lots of train stations nearby and buses, a little crowded but still has a suburban feel, in some areas real estate prices are a little high but you can find areas with low (comparatively speaking) taxes and still be in a nice area. We are. Good municipal services too. Diverse ethnic mix and within driving distance to ethnic mixes if you want Middle Eastern, Korean, Indian, Italian, Peruvian, Mexican and more restaurants and markets. Best of all we are within an hour (give or take 10 minutes) of Lewis Morris, Tourne, Ringwood, Ramapo, Jungle Habitat, Wawayanda, Six Mile Run, Kittatinny, Alamuchy, Wildcat Ridge, Graham Hills, Sprain Ridge, Blue Mountain, Stewart, Cunningham Park (if you want to visit NYC again every now and then), Nassau. Allaire is a little farther, like 1:15 or so. Nockamixon is about an hour and a half. Think about it.

Last edited:
I have a 40 min commute to Newark and that's bad. Not sure how anyone commutes any further. Work 8 hours and commute 3 hours is painful.

Back
Top Bottom