Sealant in tubes?

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
My Kids' bikes are not set up for tubeless and the rims aren't compatible. Do you think if I added a bit of sealant in the tubes that it would prevent small pinhole leaks and give them less chance of flatting?

jackx

I would definitely think it’s worth a try. Why the hell not. Unless you’re concerned your tubeless sealant would eat the tubes.
I think Slime brand sells tubes with their Slime product inside.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I would definitely think it’s worth a try. Why the hell not. Unless you’re concerned your tubeless sealant would eat the tubes.
I think Slime brand sells tubes with their Slime product inside.
I don't think Stans latex would damage rubber. I know that fix-a-flat shit you get at Auto-Zone completely eats away the inside of car tires (never use that stuff!)
I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have done it before adding a small amount on an annoying road tube and it worked, but not sure what it looks like inside now. Tubes are complete coated with some sort of white powder inside them so no idea how it reacts with sealant, but I'm sure it thickens it up at the very least.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have done it before adding a small amount on an annoying road tube and it worked, but not sure what it looks like inside now. Tubes are complete coated with some sort of white powder inside them so no idea how it reacts with sealant, but I'm sure it thickens it up at the very least.

for the high pressures run in road tubes that may be a good thing

amelihuds

I’ve been through a similar situation and I know how irritating it. I really had no idea what to use and decided to ask around. Most people recommended using silicone sealant. I was able to fix it but afterwards i ran into another issue. I really had to find a good caulk to use in the shower.I went on the internet again and found out that there are many kinds and i got confused. Later on, I found a website https://sealwithease.com/what-is-the-best-kind-of-caulk-to-use-in-a-shower/ that had an article about the best kind of caulk for shower. I read it carefully and chose the best option for me, and afterward, I was able to apply it correctly.

Last edited:

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I’ve been through a similar situation and I know how irritating it. I really had no idea what to use and decided to ask around. Most people recommended using silicone sealant. I was able to fix it but afterwards i ran into another issue.
This. Has. To. Be. A. Bot.

BBA46204-91D2-4409-A2C6-8EC6CC742F50.jpeg

ekuhn

Slime is supposed to do exactly that. I don't see why the Stan's would have a problem.

pygmypony

i've thrown some sealant in road tubes...def helps for small holes, but pinch flats, not so much...as the sealant needs to react with air to work (at least that's what i've heard!)

Top Bottom