Scratch one Santa Cruz Blur

MTB Aussie

Last night after an awesome ride at Six Mile I loaded the bike on the rack and headed home, only to be nailed by a drunk driver doing 60 mph on Rt 1 near Rt 529 (where the traffic backs up - I was stopped).

Luckily I am not seriously hurt (physically, I am having sobbing fits over the bike), but I cant say the same for my bike or car. The bike is destroyed.

Pictures tell the story

The car:
attachment.php

Car and bike:
attachment.php

Bike in the wreckage:
attachment.php

Dead bike:
attachment.php

More bike:
attachment.php

At least I didn't have to clean it.

Jdog - got any of those Niner demos left?

Attachments

• DSC03221.JPG
    DSC03221.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 347
  • DSC03222.JPG
    DSC03222.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 344
  • DSC03225.JPG
    DSC03225.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 345
  • DSC03226.JPG
    DSC03226.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 341
  • DSC03232.JPG
    DSC03232.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 346

walter

Fourth Party
If that was a rigid29er single speed the damage would have been minimal

Just kidding, glad to hear you are OK

I assume the guilty party was apprehended?

PS I have a bike for sale

Last edited:

hardtale70

She's Gone From Suck to Blow
Shop Keep
All replaceable. Glad you're ok. My mouth is watering just looking at the scrapability of that bike.............

MTB Aussie

The guy that hit me was apparently charged with DWI, Reckless driving and some lesser charges. Edison PD said they felt he was under the influence of something else and clearly impaired. I am waiting for the police report to get details.

Thanks for the concern! as mentioned, all replaceable. I spent six hours at St Peters getting all kinds of tests for internal injuries since I got bounced off the seat belt pretty hard and today I feel like I did a few rounds with Tyson (although both my ears seem intact :D )

RNG1

Wow that was some hit. Glad you are ok and hopefully they string up the bastard by his liver. Looks like the fork might have survived somehow?

MTB Aussie

Wow that was some hit. Glad you are ok and hopefully they string up the bastard by his liver. Looks like the fork might have survived somehow?
Strangely enough the fork does appear OK but do you trust the integrity of the steer tube?. Until my insurance inspection though it is all toast!

Mods: meant to put this in general and not "rides, races etc" so if you want to move it... (although it was related to my ride at six mile yesterday).

Frank

Sasquatch
I feel like I did a few rounds with Tyson (although both my ears seem intact :D )

At least you still have a sense of humor. Like HT said, it can all be replaced as long as you are ok. You do have another bike to ride I hope...if not how tall are ya, I may have one in the fleet I can loan out.

VanDbtRiver

i was over there last night must have just missed you. unbelievable wreck, glad you're allright. first priority has to be replacing the bike.

gtluke

The Moped
holy crap!
go see a lawyer. If you want a non-sleeze lawyer my GF's dad is an 81 year old relaxed lawyer out of Westfield.

It took me YEARS to get the money for my motorcycle and riding gear when I got creamed. Let alone the 6 months I was out of work. Insurance companies suck balls! They will try to give you like $100 for your bike.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Strangely enough the fork does appear OK but do you trust the integrity of the steer tube?. Until my insurance inspection though it is all toast!

Mods: meant to put this in general and not "rides, races etc" so if you want to move it... (although it was related to my ride at six mile yesterday).

+1 billion on the fact you're okay.

Dude, I'd push the insurance company(ies) to replace everything. A part might look okay, but could have damage not easily visible.

Have a list of all the components with retail pricing ready for the insurance company (with references).

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
holy crap!
go see a lawyer. If you want a non-sleeze lawyer my GF's dad is an 81 year old relaxed lawyer out of Westfield.

It took me YEARS to get the money for my motorcycle and riding gear when I got creamed. Let alone the 6 months I was out of work. Insurance companies suck balls! They will try to give you like $100 for your bike.

Man that sucks. I was much luckier with my motorcycle that was trashed by a moving company. Their insurance paid me high book (like nobody would ever pay that) plus retail cost for all the go-fast-goodies on the bike. And I had my check about a week after it happened. Actually came out ahead...

I had a M3 once and got rear-ended when it had only 6000 miles on it. Again no problems...my insurance company took care of me and did the pounding on the a$$hole's insurance company.

I had another M3 that was stolen. 30 days had to pass to see if it'd show up. 'Never did. 10 days after the 30 day period, high KBB retail (again more than anybody would pay) was paid, check was cashed, and I was on my way home in a brandy-new M3...with what the insurance company gave me and my $5000 check from ViceScript, it only cost me $3000 out of pocket...yeah, I ended up getting a M3 that was 3 years newer (my old one had 30K miles on it), for $3K out of pocket. And, btw, the new one was the one hit that I mentioned earlier.

Insurance companies since I've lived in 'Jersey have done right by me every time...no complaints. Oddly enough, before living in 'Jersey, I never needed my auto insurance :hmmm:

ArmyOfNone

Wow thats great for you to be able to walk away. As Brett said everything can be replaced. Good luck with everything.

al415

Banned
You should send that frame back to Santa Cruz with a letter that begins like this;

"I was just riding along..."

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
as everyone has said thank god you are alright... And I would agree the bike is toast not to mention your car.
the dude got arrested I hope?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dude, good to hear you're all right.

Al - how about, " I just dropped off this 18" rock and..."

xc62701

Wow that's one heck of a crash. Good thing you made it out alright. You shoulda just put up a pic of the bike and said I was JRA and got tboned by a bear! :D (or freight train - by the looks of it!)

Last edited:

Sircrashalot

holy crap!

Lawyers suck for claims like this. Lawyers are good for complex liability or serious/complex injury cases or in questions of complex coverage issues.

Unless you are dealing with a rinkadink insurance carrier, in most cases, expecially a direct rear collision where the other operator was intoxicated & you were stationary, a lawyer will get you the same settlement you'd get yourself and take one third of it from you, after dragging out the claim process forever. You dont need one unless you intend to seek damages for pain & suffering stemming from injuries, and even then you may not need one. All they do is the same thing you would and then take a third. My advice is to not laywer up & see what you think of the offer made. If its bunk, then contact an attorney. You can get represented at any time. Also it is extremely rare that you would need a lawyer for a property damage claim, and you screw yourself if you get one, becasue you get paid for all your stuff and they take a chunk out of it. Then no new blur...

As someone who works for an insurance company as an appraiser (a not for profit insurance company) I can tell you that in a clear liability case like this where their insured is drunk, etc. all they want to do is FAIRLY settle the claim as quickly as possible. A claim like this is not one you argue as an insurer, it is clear as far as liability and the best thing that any reputable company will do is make a fair offer to make you whole and move on. They will not attempt to low-ball you because if you do get a lawyer who will take a third of your fair settlement, the insurance co will potentially have to pay their defense counsel to respond to b.s. motions, discovery, etc. all to settle anyway, costing them more than to quickly & fairly settle for what ends up being the same amount. A case like this would never in a million years see a court room.

A lawyer doesnt need to be involved unless you feel that they present an offer that is unfair, for pain & suffering, which would be based on the extent of treatment for any injuries you sustained.

That being said, your auto insurance likely will not cover your bike, or rack. Your homeowners MAY if you had a rider for them. You ideally want to present your claim directly to the other drivers carrier, who has to pay for those items. They will send an auto appraiser who does not likely know squat about bikes. This is where some advanced homework can make all the difference.

WHat you SHOULD do is this:
-You already got great pics- have them available to hand the guy/girl such as on a CD.
-Provide the appraiser with as much documentation as you can regarding the cost of your rack, and your bike. Besides any receipts you can obtain, print whatever you can from the internet regarding what they are selling for used, what current MSRP is, etc. They appraiser may not realize how little a bike like that depreciates. The apprasier may also have no clue what a high end bike can cost.

-Itemization is your friend- the more detailed the information & the more broken down by component/cost the receipt is, the less questions and hassles you will get. The appraiser needs to be able to verify that the smashed bike he is inspecting is the same one that is on the receipt.

- They will total loss the bike- provide documentation for the same build, or for the cost of every component. Spend the time to do the research, provide it to the appraiser. If the apprasier mentions that the fork seems undamaged, mention your concern about the steerer tube. Ask if he has seen the commercial with the dude flying down the mountain when the front wheel separates. Explain that you dont ride bike paths, you ride technical trail, and that a failure like that could result in serious injury. Dont flip out, speak intelligently and matter of factly. They will listen.

-DOnt try to make out....thats when you get hassled. Provide solid, verifiable information to fairly put you where you were just before the idiot hit you and you'll be amazed at how quickly you get paid. The reason people get jerked around is because 80% of insurance claims contain an element of fraud, such as people providing fictitious & inflated receipts, etc. If the appraiser smells a rat, they are gonna dig into every penny. If you present fair honest easily verifiable figures for what you lost & what it takes to get you made whole, your claim will be rapidaly settled.

-Keep in mind that any injury claim you may have is a totally separate issue from your property damage claim (car, bike, etc.). Your PD claim can be settled right away. An injury claim can not be evaluated for what is a fair settlement until all treatment is completed. This is simply because they dont know how bad you are hurt or for how long, until you are fixed.

Finally...I am not an attorney and can not give legal advice....this is friendly advice from someone who does the same thing as the person who will come out to look at your stuff. If you are dealing with a reputable carrier and you request to be made fiarly & reasonably whole, you'll have a new Blur in no time.

-When you find out who the other carrier is, pm me & I can tell you if in my experience they are decent. Feel free to bounce any questions off me too....

Sircrashalot

Also...I just looked at the pics again- your car is a total loss...and WOW be glad to have walked away from that one.....hard hit!

Top Bottom