Scott Spark RC 2022

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
any science how much a shock actually "heats up" inside of a frame versus being exposed to the elements? seems rather, weird

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'll take a hidden shock over internal hydraulic brake cables.

@mbruno Really long events in hot weather? Maybe we just don't have the races here where it's useful. We have aid stations, dropoff areas, etc in any longer race in this area.

But I'm sure there's long events in AZ/UT/Etc that you may want the 2nd water bottle.

When biking in Sedona I definitely needed two bottles for a 3-4 hour bike ride. Kept one on the bike, one in the waist pack.

carvegybe

I dont like saddle bags so I keep tools in a bottle-sized zip up container that goes into a bottle cage. This means I need a backpack for hydration unless I have two bottle cages...

Cassinonorth

any science how much a shock actually "heats up" inside of a frame versus being exposed to the elements? seems rather, weird

Well I doubt that information is readily available but I'm sure Scott and Cannondale have worked through the calculations themselves. Personally I'm not cleaning too much crap off my shock that I need to risk it.

I was pretty stunned when someone suggested that earlier in the thread so I looked it up...shocks do heat up quite a bit.

FOX: For air shocks you could expect a 30º–35ºF increase in air temperature over a 3-5 minute run (DH or EWS). We see shocks reach steady-state in a 3-5 minute run so going longer will not heat the shock up more. Forks’ air springs have less temperature rise because they are isolated from the heat generated by the damper.

I cannot imagine it being in a frame is going to help that.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's

and when it does heat up, how does that impact shock performance. Shocks suck in freezing cold but I’ve never noticed an issue on real hot days.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
and when it does heat up, how does that impact shock performance. Shocks suck in freezing cold but I’ve never noticed an issue on real hot days.

in theory as the temperature rises so does the pressure inside the air chamber, is it enough of an increase to make most of us notice? id guess not. I'm not @Patrick, but i bet we could get him to setup a course and take temperature readings to see . . . .

also while we are discussing this, lets keep in mind the fact that shocks arent mounted in the most efficient locations for cooling anyway, they are mounted in the turbulent air behind the downtube, not exactly maximizing cooling potential there.

Ian F

I do remember the Fox shock on my old M-1(s) getting warm after long runs. I've honestly never paid much attention to it on any other bikes. I'll try to check it tomorrow on the Megatower after a run or two.

mbruno

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'll take a hidden shock over internal hydraulic brake cables.

@mbruno Really long events in hot weather? Maybe we just don't have the races here where it's useful. We have aid stations, dropoff areas, etc in any longer race in this area.

But I'm sure there's long events in AZ/UT/Etc that you may want the 2nd water bottle.

When biking in Sedona I definitely needed two bottles for a 3-4 hour bike ride. Kept one on the bike, one in the waist pack.
Bike looks like a nightmare to service... But, pretty soon, eeerything except the brakes will be wireless electronic.

3-4 hrs in that dry heat, you probably needed more than 2 bottles TBH. But yeah, I get what you're saying. They're just touting the 2 bottle capacity a lot, but the people they're using to market the bike don't really need it.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
You can use your fixed seat post as an excuse for that
635.jpg

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
$4,500 frame only for that IBIS. Uh huh.
Right? At first I read the PB article and I was like, cool… a modern, carbon, xc frame, made in the US. Seems like something I could possibly see as a next race bike.

Then I saw the price and was a little turned off.

Guerilla gravity makes Carbon frames in the US for thousands less.

I don’t see myself buying another new bike until the market comes back to earth.

Top Bottom