Science is looking up

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
So we have a great range of interests here. Artists, historians, athletes. Peeps in the medical field, law, and science. The list goes on.

Out where the light pollution is less of an issue, one can look up at 1000s of stars, and see things whizzing across the heavens - here, not so much.

Or if you like the movie Madagascar:

Alex the Lion: Today was a great day. It just doesn't get any better than this, you know? Oh, look, it just did. Even the star is out. You won't find a star like that in the wild.

Marty the Zebra: Helicopter.​

Well the ISS (the international space station) is visible tonight at a reasonable time - 7:16pm that is. It will transit from the WSW to the NE. being almost directly overhead during its 5 minute journey from horizon to horizon. It should be the brightest object in the sky, and moving at a steady pace.

Will try to give more notice next time, or you can sign up for alerts on the phone. URL to Come.

I can still remember seeing hale-bopp hanging in the sky for weeks. that was fantastic.

If you got anything interesting to see, post it up.

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
Just saw it Pat, read your post at 7:14 - [erfect timing! Very cool. I remember seeing an Iridium flare on the annual canadian fishing trip, those were less predictable

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
One of my sons teachers clued me uno the spot the station site over the summer and we went out to see it one night, pretty cool.

Go out before dawn, it is the best time to star gaze. This morning was GD amazing. Saw all of the 3 constalatoons I know. Haha.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Go out before dawn, it is the best time to star gaze. This morning was GD amazing. Saw all of the 3 constalatoons I know. Haha.
I was almost late for work cause I caught myself staring up when I stepped outside this morning. Super dark and clear. If only I could get paid to look at stars all day...

rlb

If only I could get paid to look at stars all day...

Technically you could!

britney-spears-attacks-paparazzi-pink-wig__width_420.jpg

rlb

NASA rocket could leave colorful cloud in N.J. sky tomorrow night

NASA is getting ready to test one its suborbital rockets, a colorful event that many New Jersey residents may get a glimpse of Wednesday.

The launch is set for some time between 7 and 9 p.m. from the agency's Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia.

Six minutes into the launch, people from Long Island to North Carolina may see a vapor cloud that is blue-green and red in color as the rocket deploys its sub-payloads, according to NASA.

Patrick

Staff member
These launches are visible from my front yard, going up over the sourland ridge. thanks for the heads up!

Patrick

Staff member
and in the medical field, this popped up on my feed....

Sex dramatically increases fertility
University Herald - ‎8 minutes ago‎

A new report shows that sexually active women have a much better chance of getting pregnant than those who remain abstinent, a press release from Eurekalert reports.
can't make this stuff up.....

qclabrat

good stuff Pat,
time to dust off the Schmitt scopes for me and the kids
they are a bit old school but still good optics

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
when i was a kid one of the guys who went to my church was a scientist for bell labs. i am a nerd and love space stuff. he used to take me out with this super high tech telescope in the church parking lot that had all kinds of motors on it so once it was set up you never had to move the scope and could just track objects in the sky. every once in a while he would look at his watch and tell me to look at a part of the sky and sure enough a satellite or some object would fly by in a minute or so. pretty cool.

the last rocket launch we were supposed to see was a total bust. i hope this one actually goes off.

Patrick

Staff member
NASA rocket could leave colorful cloud in N.J. sky tomorrow night

NASA is getting ready to test one its suborbital rockets, a colorful event that many New Jersey residents may get a glimpse of Wednesday.

The launch is set for some time between 7 and 9 p.m. from the agency's Wallops Flight Facility in Virginia.

Six minutes into the launch, people from Long Island to North Carolina may see a vapor cloud that is blue-green and red in color as the rocket deploys its sub-payloads, according to NASA.

9 minutes to launch

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nasa-tv-wallops

Top Bottom