Schick Reserve - Alexandria Township

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Has anyone heard anything about the trail building at the Schick Reserve in Alexandria Township. I'm having trouble posting on JORBA.

I read in the Democrat that the Alexandria Equestrain Association has received approval and funding for the 'building' of 10-12 miles of trail around the Schick preserve. I read that they are planning on all double track since horses like to walk side-by-side. I know several people on the AEA but they are all being closed mouthed about it. The park is county owned. I'm under the impression it has little or no 'inner' trails. It is only 1.5 miles from my house so I'll try to ride over and check it out this weekend.

Here's a blurb from the AEA website regarding it:

"Plans are underway to map a trail along the perimeter of the Schick Preserve, a gorgeous, 271-acre property right here in Alexandria Township. It's an exciting project for our association and would certainly be a big addition to the trail system. From the preserve, you could about "throw a stone" to Alexandria Township Park, making the possibilities even more exciting! Planning will take some time as there are wetlands, streams and crop fields to consider, but much of the property is quite rideable now, as is! The crops are off right now. The land is hunted so Sunday rides are best during hunting season.

The Schick Preserve can be accessed from Hickory Corner Road, Schick Road or County Road 519/631. In the meantime, if you're unfamiliar but wish to ride here, please contact an AEA member who knows the property. (Judy Tucker or Pete Tucker, 908-735-9453)

This bears out a point just noted. The Schick Preserve trail is happening because AEA members took the initiative. Trail blazing is fun stuff but it takes persistence. Lewis and Clark didn't make it to Oregon because someone laid a map in their lap and said "Ride amigos!""

Just curious if any mtbers are involved in this project or the Horseshoe Bend Project in Kingwood Township. We need trails in Hunterdon!

yzguy

I live in Holland twp,just a mile or 2 from Schick. Went there and Horseshoebend park which is open now but never rode either because I could not locate the trail in either location. Any advise?

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
Most of the riding opportunities in Hunterdon County have been on township properties ( Alexandria, High Bridge) and as such we do not have a county rep. This park appears to be on Hunterdon County land.

While the AEA has been "given approval" to build trails, they should be constructed as appropriate for all potential users. The description of the property indicates that it may be prone to flooding. This poses a problem for multi-use trails as it may require elevated trail ways (bridges, boardwalks etc) which are expensive and time consuming to build. Equestrians can just ride through mud, so they may not be considering this. As a result, the mult-use potential may be less than the 10-12 miles mentioned and may take time to expand. All the more reason for planning in the early stages.

I would suggest you and any other Hunterton County residents that would like to ride there, call the county and suggest that the trail network be designed for hiking and biking with input from all these user groups. JORBA is available to provide consultation as needed. Follow this up in writing so that the recreational director has documentation of the request.

Hunterdon County DIVISION OF PARKS & RECREATION
PO Box 2900, Flemington, NJ 08822-2900
Physical Address: 1020 Highway 31, Lebanon, NJ 08833
Phone: 908-782-1158 * Fax: 908-806-4057

yzguy

Most of the riding opportunities in Hunterdon County have been on township properties ( Alexandria, High Bridge) and as such we do not have a county rep. This park appears to be on Hunterdon County land.

While the AEA has been "given approval" to build trails, they should be constructed as appropriate for all potential users. The description of the property indicates that it may be prone to flooding. This poses a problem for multi-use trails as it may require elevated trail ways (bridges, boardwalks etc) which are expensive and time consuming to build. Equestrians can just ride through mud, so they may not be considering this. As a result, the mult-use potential may be less than the 10-12 miles mentioned and may take time to expand. All the more reason for planning in the early stages.

I would suggest you and any other Hunterton County residents that would like to ride there, call the county and suggest that the trail network be designed for hiking and biking with input from all these user groups. JORBA is available to provide consultation as needed. Follow this up in writing so that the recreational director has documentation of the request.

Hunterdon County DIVISION OF PARKS & RECREATION
PO Box 2900, Flemington, NJ 08822-2900
Physical Address: 1020 Highway 31, Lebanon, NJ 08833
Phone: 908-782-1158 * Fax: 908-806-4057

Thank you Trailhead. I will do as you suggested. I went to Schick again last nite and used the new parking lot. I found the trails from that spot although they are unmarked. The riding is very tough, not due to hills,rocks or roots which would be welcome terrain to mtn bikers, but because farm tractors with huge ag tires have driven there while wet and caused severe washboard effect-numb hands in seconds.Also alot of the trail is covered in deep cot hay and corn stalks.If the land managers can be talked into allowing a tractor pulling a box scraper around now and then it would make a wonderful trail for caual and beginner riders and a great place for training if you were looking to spin.Along the route there are somr sections of woods that would make great trails if access is allowed there. Will post update on this as needed, will check back at Horshoebend soon and post.

Top Bottom