Saved by the Parks Police

frickster

I don't normally like to highlight the really stupid things that I do (yes, there have been many), but maybe some others will learn from the multitude of mistakes that I made yesterday on my ride out at Wharton Forest.:cry:

All I can say is thank G-D for cell phones and the great officers who work our State Forests & Parks.

posting is located in Wharton Forum with link below:
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8462

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
toss an emergency blanket in your camelback/bike seat bag. they are small, cheap, and great in a pinch when it starts to get real cold. i keep one in my bag normally in the cooler times of the year... just in case i randomly start going into shock.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___81280

nothing like being lost in the dark in the woods. no jersey devil sightings!?!?

great story. kudos to the emergency crews who gave you a lift out.

Mike679

toss an emergency blanket in your camelback/bike seat bag. they are small, cheap, and great in a pinch when it starts to get real cold. i keep one in my bag normally in the cooler times of the year... just in case i randomly start going into shock.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___81280

nothing like being lost in the dark in the woods. no jersey devil sightings!?!?

great story. kudos to the emergency crews who gave you a lift out.

Just put one of those blankets in my Camelbak Saturday morning before venturing into Allamuchy.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd

'Glad everything is okay.

+1 on the emergency blanket. In the summer, I carry just the basics in a saddle bag. In the winter, though, I break out the pack and carry a little extra clothing, a few extra parts, a few extra tools, a little flashlight, a whistle, a snack or two, a milar blanket, etc....even on 1 hour rides up to Mahlon.

As you learned, Frickster, even if you're not hurt, walking out can get miserable pretty quick when it is really cold out. And if you're hurt, even if help could get to you in 20-30 minutes (or less), I'm sure it'd be even MORE miserable.

Remember, if you dress in the winter so you're slightly uncomfortable before you start riding, you're gonna' be *really* uncomfortable if you're not riding and your base/mid layer is sweaty.

Wobbegong

Glad your ok.

Like others have said, winter riding requires some extra goodies. Especially if your somewhere unfamiliar.

I keep some extra food, first aid kit with an ace bandage, flashlight and some matches in my pack. The mylar blanket is also a great idea, I have to get one of those next time out.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good thing there is still money in the state budget for rangers. In times of state budget cuts the powers at be need to know there is still a need for rangers to be available. A thank you letter to ranger & supervisor would support the cause:)
Glad to here your ok

dualfisted

we shoulds known

We shoulda known from yer intro that we'd be hearing a story like this from you. Piney Power brothaman!!! Sojo Mojo Jojo, hahahahahaha!
Glad u made it out all right man. 501 Crew is definately gonna have to check out Wharton

frickster

Good thing there is still money in the state budget for rangers. In times of state budget cuts the powers at be need to know there is still a need for rangers to be available. A thank you letter to ranger & supervisor would support the cause:)
Glad to here your ok

It was actually State Park Police that came and got me. There were no actual Park Rangers on duty according to the dispatcher. Not sure how they are all interconnected but I'm just glad somebody was still around! Agreed on the letter to supervisors of the officers who found me!:D

Here's a helpful number that I was given by one of the officers that would have gotten me in touch with who I needed much quicker than going through 911.

NJ State Park Police Dispatch: 1-877-927-6337

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Frickster,
I'm glad you're okay.
Thanks for sharing your story. I take my safety for granted when I'm riding alone and I know I shouldn't. Your saga serves as a wake up call.

I just put that number in my cell.
Never know when I might need it for myself or someone else...

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
Kudos for sharing your story, glad you got to spend the night at home. I carry a boatload of stuff in my backpack, it does weigh me down and tire me sooner, but on occasion it has helped me and others. You stories are a reminder that we should be equiped properly for where and when we ride.

jinx

glad your OK!!!
looks like you have a few good reasons to support the State Parks!!

Thats a great story to tell the next time the Governor wants to close the parks down and cut the staff.

Top Bottom