Saturday May 3 ride to the Poconos

KStwenty1

May 3 ride to the Poconos
When: SATURDAY MAY 3,
Time: 7am departure, or otherwise agreed on
Where: TBA

Looking for a few brave souls who are willing and nutty enough to take part in what will most definitely be a very hilly and long ride to the Pocono International Raceway. 80-90 miles of uphill fun! (Yes that was my attempt at humor) If interested, post up and discuss.

This is a one way ride as I have transportation lined up for the return trip for myself and maybe two others. Will discuss.

Fiddlers Elbow?
Voorhees state park?
Columbia Trail?
A victory lap at PIR?

NO RUSH RIDE with as many stops as we feel to keep it fun and enjoyable!
rain date : May 10(tentative)

Last edited:

KStwenty1

300k is round trip? That's a long ride. I'll have to see how I feel when I get there. Unlikely, but not ruled out.

GreyRider

Route map and description...

I've shared a map with you called Walking directions to Pocono Raceway, Long Pond, PA:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=217328838214969145925.0004f3f1cd5331a6952b4

Beginning at Old Town, in Johnson Park located in Piscataway, NJ

Starting from Co Rd 807/Johnson Park Rd

1 - Head west on Co Rd 807/Johnson Park Rd toward Johnson Dr
Continue to follow Co Rd 807

Head northwest paralleling the Raritan River on River Road.
The river has served an important water transportation route since the days of the Cavemen Native Americans. The name itself comes from an Urdu word meaning "stream overflows." The name is also applied to the Raritan people, an Algonquian tribe that inhabited Staten Island, near the river's mouth. In colonial days, the river allowed the development of early industry around New Brunswick, as well as the transportation of agricultural materials from central New Jersey. During the American Revolutionary War, the river provided a means for troop conveyance. The construction of the Delaware and Raritan Canal along the right (south) bank of the river provided a critical link between New York City and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on the Delaware River.

2 - Turn left onto Co Rd 622/River Rd

Continue to follow River Rd

3 - Slight left onto Co Rd 622/River Rd

4 - Slight right onto River Rd
5 - Slight left onto Co Rd 622/River Rd
6 - Continue straight to stay on Co Rd 622/River Rd
7 - Slight left to stay on Co Rd 622/River Rd
8 - Slight right to stay on Co Rd 622/River Rd

Passing through the town of Bound Brook, a town that was severely flooded during hurricane Floyd. Parallel the Raritan Line Railroad, a division of the old Central Railroad of New Jersey that is now run by NJ Transit.

9 - Turn left onto Lincoln Blvd/E Main St
Continue to follow E Main St
10 - At the traffic circle, continue straight to stay on E Main St
11 - Slight right onto Columbus Pl
12 - Turn left onto Talmage Ave
13 - Slight left to stay on Talmage Ave
Exiting Bound Brook, you pass into Bridgewater and pass by TD Bank Ballpark, home of the Somerset Patriots. The railroad runs right behind the stadium, and there have been tales of engines being struck by home run balls. In this case, there are no souvenirs!

14 - Continue onto County Rd 533/Main St

Continue down Main Street into the town of Somerville, past the Somerville Courthouse From Somerville, New Jersey the Somerset County Courthouse is located right off main street. Some famous trials here have been Mike Tyson and the Hall-Mills Murder trial in 1926. Some info from the web: The courthouse, built between 1907 and 1909 in the Palladian style and is faced with marble. The courthouse underwent a $US 6 million renovation between 1989 and 1996. Attached to the courthouse is the First Reformed Church which was built in 1898. It has served as the county’s Jury Assembly Room since it was renovated around 1985.

15 - Slight left onto County Rd 533/E Main St
Continue to follow E Main St
16 - Turn left onto West End Ave
17 - Continue onto Somerset St

In the town of Raritan, NJ the favorite son is John Basilone. Continue one more block southwest to see his memorial park and statue.
John Basilone (November 4, 1916 – February 19, 1945) was a United States Marine Gunnery Sergeant who received the Medal of Honor for his actions at the Battle of Guadalcanal during World War II. He was the only enlisted Marine in World War II to receive both the Medal of Honor and the Navy Cross.
He served three years in the United States Army with duty in the Philippines before joining the Marine Corps in 1940. After attending training, Basilone deployed to Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, the Solomon Islands and eventually to Guadalcanal where he held off 3,000 Japanese troops after his 15-member unit was reduced to two other men. He was killed in action on the first day of the Battle of Iwo Jima, after which he was posthumously honored with the Navy Cross. He has received many honors including being the namesake for streets, military locations and a United States Navy destroyer.

18 - Turn right onto 1st Ave
19 - Turn left onto NJ-28 W/Easton Turnpike

Cross RTe 22 on Easton Turnpike into the idyllic town of North Branch. Past Raritan Valley Community College

Raritan Valley Community College (RVCC) is an accredited, coeducational, two-year, public, community college located in North Branch (within Branchburg Township), New Jersey. RVCC offers Associate's degree programs leading to an Associate of Arts (A.A.), Associate of Science (A.S.), Associate of Fine Art (A.F.A) or an Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.), as well as certificate programs and continuing education courses.
The college was founded in late 1965 as "Somerset County College" and opened to its first class of students in the fall of 1968. It was given its present name in 1987, when it became the county college for Hunterdon County as well as its home of Somerset County. It was the first community college in New Jersey to be sponsored by two different counties.

20 - Slight right to stay on NJ-28 W/Easton Turnpike
21 - Slight right onto County Rd 614/NJ-28 W/Easton Turnpike
22 - Slight right toward Campus Dr
23 - Continue straight onto Campus Dr
24 - Slight right to stay on Campus Dr
25 - Turn right onto Lamington Rd

Continue down Lambing Road next to the Lamington River, down Rattlesnake bridge road, some of the most expensive real estate in NJ! The Lana Lobell Horse Farms located on the right, was recently listed for a cool $25 million dollars! as you can see, it’s a steal!
26 - Continue onto Rattlesnake Bridge Rd
27 - Turn left onto County Rte 523/Lamington Rd

Don’t blink! you are in the hamlet of Lamington, nj.
28 - Turn left onto Felmley Rd
29 - Turn right onto County Rte 523

Those wishing for a bite at this point can continue straight on 523, also known as Oldwick Road into the small town of Oldwick. At the Oldwick General Store, you can pick up an honest to goodness jersey breakfast sandwich all day. Rejoin the route when you're belly’s full and you're feeling guilty. We will wait.

30 - Turn left onto Rockaway Rd

Pass over the Rockaway Creek at Taylor’s Mill. The remains of the mill can still be seen here.

31 - Slight left onto Bissell Rd
32 - Turn right onto County Rte 639/Cokesbury Rd
33 - Slight left to stay on County Rte 639/Cokesbury Rd
34 - Turn right onto Mt Grove Rd
35 - Turn left onto Hoffmans Crossing Rd
36 - Sharp left onto Columbia Trail

Built in 1876, the railroad branch line was used for passenger and freight traffic. The type of freight most commonly moved was iron ore from mines in Morris County to be used in the foundries at High Bridge or Wharton. In 1976, the branch was deemed redundant by its new owner, Conrail, and the rails were dismantled in 1980. Since then, it has been a recreational trail serving the surrounding communities. In the mid-1990s, Columbia Gas Company bought the trail right-of-way and laid an underground gas pipeline under the right-of-way along the length of the trail. The trail and bridges were resurfaced in 2004. The Hunterdon County Department of Parks and Recreation and Morris County Department of Parks and Recreation now operate and maintain the trail under lease, although ownership of the right-of-way remains with the Columbia Gas Company. Lewis H Taylor a member of the trustees of the Central Jersey Railroad brought the railroad in to High Bridge originally to bring coal to fuel the Taylor Wharton Iron and Steel Company, the oldest foundry in United States History. This connects to the Taylor Steelworkers Historic Greenway.
Ironically, a train wreck that occurred on the trestle on April 18, 1885, when an iron ore train led by the Columbia Engine derailed and crashed on the trestle and into the river below. IRON MINE RAILROAD OF NORTHERN NEW JERSEY, by Larry Lowenthal, indicates this was engine 112 and does not indicate it had a name. The trail is, instead, most likely named for the Columbia Gas Pipeline. Minutes of meetings in Hunterdon Parks indicate that Hunterdon suggested the name "Columbia Trail", much to the satisfaction of the gas company. Recent oppositions to gas utilities, and their relationship to hydraulic fracturing (aka "Fracking") have spurred public outcry to rename the route "High Bridge Branch Trail", a more historically accurate and less controversial tag. Furthermore, it may be considered a conflict of interest for a government agency to promote a private industry such as Columbia Gas in name and associated publications (tax payer funded maps, guides, interpretive signage, etc.).
The trail surface is relatively flat and consists mostly of fine crushed stone.

Cross over the Ken Lockwood gorge on the old train tracks

Be on the watch for Gnomes, as it is said that they like to inhabit the area!

37 - Turn left onto Main St
38 - Turn right onto Bridge St
39 - Turn right onto W Main St

Those who didn’t stop earlier at Oldwick General Store may want to make a left here onto W Main Street and head down to Gronsky’s Milk House. Written up by none other that the NY Times, Gronsky’s pancakes are the size of dinner plates. But you’ve got a long climb in front of you, so you may want to fuel up now.

to be continued...

GreyRider

Route map and description...continued

40 - Turn left onto Cregar Rd
41 - Turn right onto NJ-31 N/Rte 31 N

Head into the town of Glen Gardener

Glen Gardner is located at the extreme western border of Lebanon Township and was incorporated as a borough by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 26, 1919, from portions of both Lebanon Township and Bethlehem Township based on the results of a referendum held that same day. Portions of the borough were ceded to Hampton borough in 1931.
The are that is now Glen Gardner had been known as Eveland's Tavern for tavernkeeper John Eveland. Later, the area was variously called Spruce Run Mills and Sodom. The name of both the community and post office were officially changed to Glen Gardner in 1871 in honor of the Gardner brothers who owned a chair and frame factory in the area.

42 - Slight left onto Main St

Enter the town of Hampton, NJ

43 - Turn right to stay on Main St
44 - Turn left onto NJ-31 N/Rte 31 N
45 - Slight left onto NJ-31 S/Rte 31 S
46 - Turn left onto S Lincoln Ave

Pass the revolutionary site for artillery

47 - Turn left onto NJ-57 W/W Washington Ave

Pass through the town of Washington, nj. Did you know that NJ has 5 towns named washington?

48 - Turn right onto Brass Castle Rd
Brass Castle road is named for the Brass Castle River, nearby. On both sides of the road there is a park and wildlife refuge.

49 - Continue onto Oxford St

Enter the sleepy little town of Belvidere, NJ This is the last town we will be in NJ.

Places of interest include:

Belvidere Cemetery - Dating back to 1834, the cemetery is the burial site of several historical figures, many associated with the Civil War, and has been included in tours conducted as part of the town's annual Victorian Days celebration.
Foul Rift is a Class II rapids on the Delaware River located south of Belvidere, in which a drop of 22 feet (6.7 m) in elevation in a span of 0.5 miles (0.80 km) creates one of the river's most dangerous stretches.
Four Sisters Winery - Established in 1984, the winery was named for the four daughters of the founders.
Robert Morris House - Built by Robert Morris, a signer of the Declarataion of Independence, the house is one of the town's oldest homes.
Warren County Courthouse - Future Governor of New Jersey Garret D. Wall donated the land in 1825 and the courthouse was completed in 1826 at a cost of $10,000. In 1892, the courthouse was the site of the county's most recent public hanging.
Warren County Museum - Now the home of the Warren County Historical and Genealogical Society, the museum is located on Garret D. Wall county square in a townhome constructed c. 1848 and purchased in 1980 which now store many items related to the history of Warren County.

Locals recommend the Thisilldous Eatery for Food for refueling. Cheap good eats. As they say, last exit in NJ. Bikers get coffee free..what about cyclists?

50 - Turn right onto Prospect St
51 - Turn left onto Water St

Entering Pennsylvania

Cross over the Delaware River

52 - Continue onto State Rte 1004/Martins Creek Belvidere Hwy
53 - Turn right onto Kaylor Rd
54 - Turn right onto State Rte 1017/Richmond Rd
55 - Turn left onto Ott Dr
Ott’s Own Farms. Go figure.

56 - Turn left onto PA-611 S/Rte 611 S/State 611 S/State Rte 611 S/N Delaware Dr
57 - Turn right onto Hester Rd
58 - Turn right onto Jacktown Rd
59 - Turn left onto Heinsohn Hill Rd
60 - Turn right onto Mt Pleasant Rd
61 - Turn left to stay on Mt Pleasant Rd
62 - Continue onto Lower South Main St
63 - Turn left onto Flicksville Rd
64 - Continue onto PA-191 S/Washington Blvd

You are in the town of Ackermanville, PA

Ackermanville is a census-designated place located in Washington Township, Northampton County, Pennsylvania, on Route 191. It is drained by the Martins Creek southward into the Delaware River and is served by the Bangor Area School District. It is split between the Bangor zip code of 18013 and the Pen Argyl zip code of 18072. As of the 2010 census the population was 610 residents.
That is the entire wikipedia entry for this place. it is so uninteresting that it got 4 sentences. At least the scenery is pretty.

65 - Turn right onto Mill Rd
66 - Turn right onto Pen Argyl Rd

Look up. Yes, those are your hills to climb.

67 - Slight left onto Grand Central Rd
68 - Slight right onto Mack Rd
69 - Continue onto Alpha Rd
70 - Turn right onto State Rte 115/N Broadway
Continue to follow State Rte 115
71 - Continue onto Wilkes Barre Turnpike

Now we start to feel the burn!

72 - Continue onto Hamilton Rd

The big building on the right was the local hotel until about 30 years ago. These days during Halloween, its the local haunted house!

Entering the town of Saylorsburg, PA the local speed limit is only 35 miles per hour. Can anyone say “speed trap”? I thought so!

73 - Continue onto Old State Rte 115
74 - Continue onto Easton Wilkes Barre Turnpike
75 - Continue onto Wilkes Barre Turnpike
76 - Turn left onto US-209 S

Now entering Broadsheadville, PA. Wawa is here for emergencies, word is that Spinelli’s is where it’s at. I wasn't impressed, but then, i'm partial to NJ pizza. YMMV.

77 - Slight right onto PA-115 N

FINAL STRETCH - get ready for those Pocono “roller hills”

78 - Slight left onto Merwinsburg Rd
79 - Continue onto State Rte 3007
80 - Slight right onto Jonas Rd
81 - Continue onto Sun Valley Mountain Rd/T628/Toll Rd
Continue to follow T628

82 - Continue onto PA-115 N

DRUMROLL>>>>
FINALLY!

83 - Turn right onto State Rte 4002/Long Pond Rd
Arriving at State Rte 4002/Long Pond Rd
Total: 87.8 mi or 141.3 km

:D

KStwenty1

I lost you at "Turn left onto Co Rd 622/River Rd"

Read ahead, or perhaps that was sarcasm. My girlfriend took a lot of time putting this together for me and I surely appreciate her efforts. This is going to be a fun and long ride. You in?

Last edited:

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
This is interesting reading for me, as my family is from Wilkes-Barre. My father & I have, for probably 30 years, casually discussed the idea of riding from South River (where I grew up and my folks still live) to Wilkes-Barre, but I've never bothered to sort out a route.

I've often wondered what it might be like to ride on 115, since some of the shoulders are fine and others are pretty sketchy. And of course the climbing will be no joke, though the possibility of some 60 mph descents will add to the fun.

KStwenty1

This is interesting reading for me, as my family is from Wilkes-Barre. My father & I have, for probably 30 years, casually discussed the idea of riding from South River (where I grew up and my folks still live) to Wilkes-Barre, but I've never bothered to sort out a route.

I've often wondered what it might be like to ride on 115, since some of the shoulders are fine and others are pretty sketchy. And of course the climbing will be no joke, though the possibility of some 60 mph descents will add to the fun.

You're more than welcome to come along for the ride. My girlfriends parents are in Wilkes-Barre. The trip from South River to there is over 120 miles. It is a hilly and challenging ride which I don't plan on breaking any land speed records.

KStwenty1

As the day approaches, Monica and I will drive this route and make any adjustments/corrections. I cant wait!

KStwenty1

RESCHEDULED FOR MAY 10

So I rescheduled this ride for May 10 due to the Farmlands tour 100 mile ride.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
This seems like it would be fun. I can't do Saturdays but if you want to do something like this on a sunday, keep me in the loop, I'm always up for exploring new roads.

-Jim.

PS-If anyone is interested, I plan on re-starting the Jersey Double ride. 200 miles on May 18th.

KStwenty1

This seems like it would be fun. I can't do Saturdays but if you want to do something like this on a sunday, keep me in the loop, I'm always up for exploring new roads.

-Jim.

PS-If anyone is interested, I plan on re-starting the Jersey Double ride. 200 miles on May 18th.

I can most certainly do this on the 11th if you're up for it. Keep in mind, i'm not too quick

Last edited:
Top Bottom